WC1 with Win XP

Basically what I've done is copy the contents of the WC folder on the CD (GAMEDAT, INSTALL.EXE, SM2.EXE, TRANS2.EXE, TRANSFER.EXE, and WC.EXE) to my hard drive (c:\WC) and I've been been running the game from there.

I haven't completed any significant portion of the game, I am simply making sure my copy of the game I purchased off of ebay was on the up and up before I left any feedback.

What should the crusade.cfg look like when I create it?

Are you sure you are missing SM1? Maybe the WC1 version on the disk has SM1 already installed. If SM1 is installed you get to it from WC1, not from a separate EXE. When you start the game it should give you the option of starting the Vega campaign or secret missions.

Are you sure you are missing SM1? Maybe the WC1 version on the disk has SM1 already installed. If SM1 is installed you get to it from WC1, not from a separate EXE. When you start the game it should give you the option of starting the Vega campaign or secret missions.

It seems to, actually.
Only when I select SM1 it tells me,

The SECRET MISSIONS files are not present on you WING COMMANDER game disk.
If you have not obtained the SECRET MISSIONS disk package, purchase it from ORIGIN for $19.95 (US dollars) by calling 1-800-999-4939, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm central.
(Price and availability subject to change)

Which led me to believe I had to install it separately somehow.

Although the transfer programs (TRANSFER.EXE and TRANS2.EXE) seem to be fully functional for all the good they'll do me.

It seems to, actually.
Only when I select SM1 it tells me,

Which led me to believe I had to install it separately somehow.

Although the transfer programs (TRANSFER.EXE and TRANS2.EXE) seem to be fully functional for all the good they'll do me.

As odd as it may seem, it's entirely possible that your disk is missing the SM1 files entirely. I haven't run into this before, but it's the most likely explanation. Is there possibly anything related in the GAMEDAT folder on the CD that would indicate if this were the case?

As odd as it may seem, it's entirely possible that your disk is missing the SM1 files entirely. I haven't run into this before, but it's the most likely explanation. Is there possibly anything related in the GAMEDAT folder on the CD that would indicate if this were the case?

What should I look for in the GAMEDAT folder?

Briefing.001, Camp.001. Disk.004 and Midgame.v04 are a few of the files that would exist in the WC1 Gamedat folder if you had SM1 in there.

Ok, first things first, your cd does contain both SM1 and SM2 as transfer.exe only comes in sm1 so thats sorted that!

secondly do the following, take the folder you have copied from the CD and stick it somewhere like C:\wc1inst
then, in dosbox, type
mount D C:\wc1inst
D:
install

and that should run the installer ok, tell the game you want to install to C:\wing (assuming you mounted a C: properly) and then tell it that your original disks are inserted into drive D

let me know how that goes!

Ok, first things first, your cd does contain both SM1 and SM2 as transfer.exe only comes in sm1 so thats sorted that!

Yeah, I don't think there's anything keeping you from giving the ebay seller positive feedback if you haven't already. The professional disc label says the game includes both Secret Missions, and I wouldn't expect the seller to have gone through more trouble than you so far to verify the contents (or really do anything but say what the disc label says).

Briefing.001, Camp.001. Disk.004 and Midgame.v04 are a few of the files that would exist in the WC1 Gamedat folder if you had SM1 in there.

Okay, it appears I have ALL of those.
And you say that means I DO in fact have SM1?

Now my ONLY question is how to I get there?
I mean can I run SM1 separately or do I just have to play it through?

How about just running the SM2.EXE file and see if it starts the second Secret Missions Campaign. It could be possible that Deluxe Edition does something funky and combines SO1 with SO2 or possibly at the end of WC1.

Okay, it appears I have ALL of those.
And you say that means I DO in fact have SM1?

Now my ONLY question is how to I get there?
I mean can I run SM1 separately or do I just have to play it through?

Yes, you do have SM1. You can't run SM1 on its own, and you don't have to play through WC1 first. Have you run install.exe? Are the SM1 gamedat files located in the WC1 gamedat folder?

How about just running the SM2.EXE file and see if it starts the second Secret Missions Campaign. It could be possible that Deluxe Edition does something funky and combines SO1 with SO2 or possibly at the end of WC1.

I don't think there's any version of SM2 built to work like that. SM1 is integrated into the WC1 executable.

Yes, you do have SM1. You can't run SM1 on its own, and you don't have to play through WC1 first. Have you run install.exe? Are the SM1 gamedat files located in the WC1 gamedat folder?

Yeah, all the gamedat files are in the same WC1 gamedat folder.

Back