WC1 sm2 corsair 4 mission

GaryHart

Ensign
Ok so i recently bought all available games from GOG.com!!! Awesome by the way! Anyways so i am on sm2 of wc1 and i am on the mission corsair 4 destroying the 2 troop carriers for the firekkan people. But in the cutscene it says they stop the ceremony from happening but at great cost and all the marines die. Is there a way where the marines survive? I have not lost any missions and have done really good considering how long its been since i played wc1. I know there is a cutscene where the marines fail to stop the ceremony but is there one where they survive?

No. Success means the ceremony was disrupted with a heavy price. Failure means total enslavement.

Thank you for your reply. Also i have noticed that in the little comm screen when maniac is your wingman it says joker across his helmet not maniac. Was his name originally supposed to be joker?

Also i have noticed that in the little comm screen when maniac is your wingman it says joker across his helmet not maniac. Was his name originally supposed to be joker?

Yes. Also, Hunter's helmet and original name are "Dart". Bossman's personal name was also undecided for a while. Some of these may be found in the Wing Commander 1 Documents...

PDF Page 109 "Wing Commander Wingman Pofiles", July 26, 1990:
Bossman - Major Chen (need Chinese personal name from Ninja Hero)

PDF Page 106 "Wing Commander SceneDirector Documentation", July 30, 1990:
SPIRIT - 1st Lt. Tanaka Mariko
DART* - Capt. Ian St. John
BOSSMAN - Major Chen ??? [finally named Kien Chen]
ICEMAN - Major Michael Casey
ANGEL - Capt. Jeannette Devereaux
PALADIN - Major James Taggart
JOKER* - 2nd Lt. Todd Marshall
KNIGHT - Capt. Joseph Khumalo
COMMANDER - Col. Walter Halcyon [later renamed to Peter Halcyon]
BARTENDER** - Maj. Sam Walker (Ret.)

*DART and JOKER are old call signs; they have been changed to HUNTER (for Dart) and MANIAC (for Joker). In text, refer to these characters by their current call signs; for the present, however, in shot commands and other code instances, use the old names.

**The Bartender calls himself Shotglass, his own call sign from the days when he was a fighter pilot himself.

PDF Page 30 "Quality Assurance Software Features Checklist", Undated:
WINGMAN INFO & ANIMATION
SPIRIT - 2nd Lt. Tanaka Mariko [later promoted to 1st Lt.]
PALADIN - Major James Taggart
ANGEL - Captain Jeanette Devereaux
MANIAC - 2nd Lt. Todd Marshall
KNIGHT - Captain Joseph Khumalo
BOSSMAN - Major Chen Nugato (?)
ICEMAN - Major Michael Casey
HUNTER - Captain Ian St. John

Some Kilrathi ace names also went undecided for a while.

PDF Page 37 "Quality Assurance Software Features Checklist", Undated:
Dakhosh Deathstroke [later renamed Dakhath]
KAce Lewey
KAce Huey
Bakhtosh Redclaw

The artists also took the time to add unique symbols to all the helmets. These can be hard to see these during play, so here are images extracted from the game files. (If anyone wants to explore these themselves, WC1 heads are in WINGMEN.VGA, SM2 additions in WINGMEN1.VGA. WC2 heads are in VDU.V00, SO1 additions in VDU.V01, SO2 additions in VDU.V02. WC1 heads are created by compositing face images onto a generic helmet. WC2 heads come with their own background, with blinks and other eye movements drawn on top of that.)

WC1 helmets in order: Generic background, Angel, Bossman, Doomsday, Hunter/Dart, Iceman, Jazz, Knight, Maniac/Joker, Paladin, Spirit:
WC1 VDU Helmet.png
WC1 VDU Angel.png
WC1 VDU Bossman.png
WC1 VDU Doomsday.png
WC1 VDU Hunter.png
WC1 VDU Iceman.png
WC1 VDU Jazz.png
WC1 VDU Knight.png
WC1 VDU Maniac.png
WC1 VDU Paladin.png
WC1 VDU Spirit.png

Last edited by a moderator: