WC1 is an Awesome Game

Edfilho said:
Surely WC is simply the best series in art direction. no argument here.

It's also simply the best series in hairdos. At least in WC1&2. With 3 it was back to military crewcuts, with some relief in Priv2, and some dependability in Paladin... :D

My first "modern" space sim game that I can remember was Wing Commander 2, back in 92 or so. My uncle had Wing Commander 1 and I envied him greatly!

Doesn't WC1 play waaay too fast on a Pentium? Or do you use mo'slo? I find that trying to crush a system down to a fraction of a fraciton of it's full speed with mo'slo causes problems. :/

I've been planning to go the KVM route as well, but with several systems. From a 286 for WC up through an early Pentium or P2. Just need to get audio rigged to that switch as well. lol

Actually, I have had some trouble running WC 1 and the SM exp packs on my Pentium III 733 MhZ. I don't use DOS-Box, because that would make it run too slow, but haven't tried MoSlo yet.

WC 1 goes so fast that it makes it next to unplayable; WC 2 goes a bit faster than it should, but still it playable, which is nice. Never got a chance to beat WC 2 back in the day, so I am trying at it again-- I got on the losing streak rather early and though I was doing well and was crushed to see a cutscene in which... Well, I'd rather not spoil it. :)

Dyret said:
Kilrathi saga runs just fine.

It doesn't for me. :( WC 1 seems to run the way it was meant to be (although I never played WC1 before I got KS) but WC 2 runs a lot worse then the original version. The mouths talk way too fast, in the animation with the talking pilots the fighters fly too fast so you can see they have no rear end. The music hangs repeatedly. And last but not least, you can't see the hand of Blair holding the flight stick.

Too bad, because WC 2 is still my favourite game after WC 4. :(

These type of problems make me wish that windows had a better DOS environment, which could act like a machine running straight DOS, like Mac OS X, being able to run OS 9 inside the other (and with excellent results) is really nice when I feel like booting up old mac games like marathon and such.

Well, you're right, even on a P1 150 Mhz you need to cheat a bit. KS is just fine, but doesn't support my joystick, so I run ol' WC1 with a slowdown app called "Turbo". Look for it, it's free - and convenient, since it runs inside Win95/98. You need to toy around with it a bit (it slows down the CPU by percentage increments) to find the right settings, but it hasn't given me problems. Yet. :D

Hello,

Bloodspray said:
Doesn't WC1 play way too fast on a Pentium? Or do you use mo'slo? I find that trying to crush a system down to a fraction of a fraciton of it's full speed with mo'slo causes problems. :/

It's way to fast, even on my 486/66 I have to use Moslo.

Bloodspray said:
I've been planning to go the KVM route as well, but with several systems. From a 286 for WC up through an early Pentium or P2. Just need to get audio rigged to that switch as well. lol

I like to play this old Games on old Computers. Okay I never had 32 MB of Ram in that days.
1st: 486/66 with my really old AWE32 which I've bought 1994 for 350Marks!, where is also the 4xCDRom hooked, Graphics is an ET4000 VL Board and a 5,25' DiskDrive. OS is Dos 6.22.
2nd: 233 MMX with ATI RAGE and a Voodoo2 Board and Win 98SE. Guess what I play on this Computer.
I'm also thinking about reactivating my 8086 Computer because I got a copy of the Original Mechwarrior(Complete with 360kb 5,25 Disks, Manual and Cover), which I never,ever saw on Ebay, what is supposed to run on this Machine.

Ah yes, the good old days. I had a 486, 66. 66 on turbo that was it went down to 30 otherwise which was very entertaining. It made WC ruch really fast but it was totally managable after a while. Now with Kilrathi Saga on my laptop is runs too slowly.

The only gripe I would have is that WC2 is still very poor in the KS engine and flying with the keyboard is not really an option due to how poorly everything moves. Cant suss out how to make my original copy of 2 work either and 3 never seems to work, it always crashes. Played KS on my old p133 and 3 works fine, that sort of thing really annoys me. I just want to play the whole thing. I also noticed that KS came with a win95 adapter for 4. So I thought maybe install this and I could get 4 running under XP on my laptop of doom, alas the game has to be installed before the adapter, now how stupid is that.

The problem I have with 4 on my laptop is in the graphics by the looks of things. The screen is all lines and stuff. Now I had exactly the same problem with descent 2 but I found a patch on the net to fix that. Now, surely a similar patch for 4 would be a great plan. If such a thing already exists then shame on me.

BarFly said:
I'm also thinking about reactivating my 8086 Computer because I got a copy of the Original Mechwarrior(Complete with 360kb 5,25 Disks, Manual and Cover), which I never,ever saw on Ebay, what is supposed to run on this Machine.

I still have MW1 too. It seems to work ok with Mo'Slo, but I forget if I did that on my P3 733 or my current P4 2.4. It seemed to require less of a crush than WC1 did though. Plus it wasn't bad to have it run a bit faster than it would have originally too. Actually made it more playable in a way.

It's probably harder to run MW2 Titanium on a modern machine without a voodoo than running the original. (Not considering the disk drive)

Edfilho said:
It's probably harder to run MW2 Titanium on a modern machine without a voodoo than running the original. (Not considering the disk drive)

Wasn't there some sort of a "voodoo wrapper" for RB3D? For some reason I think I remember it being made for Voodoos by there being some sort of software fix to get it to work on modern cards. If I'm remembering things correctly, then it should work for that too as it was a separate bit of code.

RB3D - Red Baron 3D.

There was some sort of wrapper type program that enabled that game, which was made for Voodoo cards, to run on modern cards. It might be a glide wrapper, not sure. But it should work for the MW2 Titanium pack as well. Dunno, never tried it. Whenever I get the bug to start trashing mechs again I'll end up whipping out MW1 and start that whole series, so I guess I'll find out then. lol :D

Back