WC1 Era Kilrathi Corvettes?

But but but...
The Academy violates canon greatly!
(we´re talking of a crtoon series, aren´t we? :) )
They fly Scimitars - and Epees, too...
They fight Grikaths - which must wait 10 years to appear...
And the traitor steels an Arrow - oh my God! He has an access to a Time Machine! :)))
So - if we're talking of THAT cartoon (which is nice, and matches the atmosphere of WCU greatly),
how can we make it a basis?

You missed the point there. It's silly to think that all the fighters we fly in each game are new. WC3 is only two years past WC2.. do you think Confed and the Kilrathi invented a whole lineup of new craft? Various sources have told us the Thunderbolt and Excalibur were the only new craft in 2669. It's not just coincidence that the TBolt and Excalibur were virtually the only "WC3 era" ships we don't see in the Academy show. The same goes for every faction in every game. Only one or two of the ships you see in each product are ever new. The rest have existed silently in the Wing Commander universe for many years before you first flew them. Academy wonderfully demonstrates this. The people who made Academy were the same people who made the games. They are experts at Wing Commander history and carefully chose their ships so as not to use anything that wouldn't be appropriate.

Wow, I don't think I've ever had anyone react to one of my posts that way before. For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the internet turn around and acknowledge a point like that. You're neat.

ChrisReid
neat?
I know I am not.
But why must I not accept a reasonable explanation?
For I DO know that I know nothing :)
And the fact about cartoon proves it, too.
Well.. maybe you´ll answer one more question of mine?
My friend's writing a fanfic.
And he's going to kill his hero for he says that a Broadsword can not launch all torpedoes at once.
Well - that is true, the game doesn't allow to do that.
But in WC IV - we already could launch them all.
So - the question :)
Will it be correct to write that Broadsword killed a destroyer with a full torpedo salvo?
(Sorry for poor english, I'm somewhat rusty with it)

Yeah, we see the Broadsword launch multiple torpedoes in the movie and missile salvos in WCA I believe. It's a gameplay mechanic more than a technical limitation in the universe. Again, WC3 is only a couple short years after WC2, and the missile salvo option isn't presented as a technological breakthrough. It applies equally to older and newer ships, bombers and fighters. It is also a matter of hardpoints. The Longbow can't launch all her torpedoes at once because it has two hardpoints that each carry two torpedoes. The hardpoint and total ordinance numbers change periodically though, so there's no number you'd necessarily be stuck to with the Broadsword.

I am going to tell that to my friend.
Guess he will be disappointed of having no reason to kill a hero, but that is his problem of finding the other one, isn´t it? :)
Well... one more question, okay?
Afterburners of a Broadsword.
In "Fleet action", if I am not mistaken, Hunter ran his attack on Kilrathi capship by burners.
Is it a bug? Or is it MY bug? :)

You need to understand the greater propulsion methods that are explained in the novels. Obviously in space, you're not limited to a certain velocity because there's relatively no drag. When the hydrogen scoop field is turned off, this eliminates the drag that limits the speed of fighters as we play in the games. There are some tricks used in the novels where scoops are closed and the ships accelerate under a traditional physics model, but writers need to be careful not to overuse that trick in combat situations. The scoops closed propulsion is meant for long-distance non-combat travel.

Back