WC1 Era Fleet Questions

OK, so the the change of command remains a mystery. :)
Hmm, and what exactly does the XO in a Wing?

BTW: what is your stance on Zero's rank? The SOPS fiction is contradictory, calling him a 1st Lt. and Major (as does the WCP guide?). Might be that he got promoted in between the different fiction parts but from 1st Lt. to Major? Especially since Zero didn't make the impression of being a particular good pilot. Granted he survived WCP and was quite involved but still, Casey only got a promotion to 1st Lt.

Thanks already.

Edit: Hmm, could be "first posting on the Tiger's Claw" refer to the TC being Blair's first assignment? Or would that be contradictory to the TCS Formidable time? I just don't know if assignments during formation count as real assignments.

I ask because then it could also be that Paladin was commanding the Blue Devil's (the Scimitar squadron, I think that was its name) since we fly Scimitars with Paladin. Just a thought.

Edit 2: Hmm, no it would contradict Psych's remark as Paladin being his first squadron commander...

I'm sure one of the people more familiar with modern militaries can answer this question. (XO = Executive Officer, the second in command. I'm not sure if they have specific set duties or if it's more of a case-by-case thing.)

BTW: what is your stance on Zero's rank? The SOPS fiction is contradictory, calling him a 1st Lt. and Major (as does the WCP guide?). Might be that he got promoted in between the different fiction parts but from 1st Lt. to Major? Especially since Zero didn't make the impression of being a particular good pilot. Granted he survived WCP and was quite involved but still, Casey only got a promotion to 1st Lt.

I believe we asked at the time and were told that he was supposed to have risen through the ranks during the course of Prophecy.

I think I can answer the XO question. An XO is in place in any unit to handle the day to day operations of a unit. What does the unit need? Is the unit out of toilet paper? Is the unit having a dance? How will it be paid for? Basically an XO is a facillitator. He is also there to to act as a consience for the CO. He is usually aware of any and all command decisions the CO has to make as a commander and he usually put his two cents in. Another reason for the XO to be aware of all of the COs plans and decisions is so he can take over in case anything happens to the CO without any major confusion. Also usually in a flying unit, the XO personally ensures the quality of aircraft repairs and modifications. A unit is dead in the water without an XO who knows his stuff, I have seen it. My first XO was a shithead and when the new guy came aboard my battalion tightened up within two months.

Bandit LOAF said:
(...)
I believe we asked at the time and were told that he was supposed to have risen through the ranks during the course of Prophecy.

That'd be cool if he wouldn't be called a 1st Lt. in the SOPS fiction, so after WCP. Right in the first fiction, about the personnel transfer. Though as this seems to be the only reference to him as 1st Lt., it could well be that it was just a mistake from Miranda Day. :)

And thanks to you Joker. Though I wouldn't trust Maniac with something as important as the wing's toilet paper. :)

I was thinking the same thing, Maniac isnt XO or CO material. But sometimes there are such people in those places that don't deserve the post.

LOAF, about what you said on the Squadrons/Wings in the Midway:

I know that the Midway is supposed to have 3 full wings, each one comprised of several squadrons, but isn't she still with an "incomplete" fighter complement? I mean, maybe the only have a single incomplete WING on board, and the Diamond Backs, Black Widows and the Wolves are some of their squadrons.

I've got the WCP official guide and I cannot recall anything contrary to my theory.

It's not that I think you're wrong, but I think maybe it is different =)

From the ICIS manual: "The TCS Midway is rated for three full squadrons, of which two are currently commissioned, the Black Widow (First) Squadron and the Diamondback (Second) Squadron."

So, they wrote squadron where they should have wrote Wing? do we have any other evidence of that semantic misshap?

Eh, it was a generally acknowledged thing back in the day (1997) - the FMV was shot with 'squadron' instead of 'wing', so everything else had to follow suite.

I see... Well, they didn't have the money to show all those other pilots, then, 84 pilots on EACH wing are a lot of people. :D

But the funny thing is that the whole Squadron concept fits well with waht we see, the killboard, the squadron patches, the ship types.

Anyway, it'd been nice if they had named the squadrons in each wing.

Sorry for bumping up my own thread but I have another question.

For a early Vega campaign(Around the time that the Tiger's Claw is in Enyo system or Gimle System), what would be a more common carrier to come across, the Snakeir or the Sivar?

From what I can gather there are around 51 Snakeirs in sevice at that time, but only when the Kilrathi start making Snakeir Fleet Carriers do they actually enter the Vega sector.

For the Sivar, there appears to be around 700 of them and are said to be a highlight of Vega sector fleets. Not just the modified Sivar that destroyed Goddard.

These latest few chapter of Hell's Unicorns has gotten me into a bit of a mess since I was writing it with idea that the gigantic Kilrathi capship they encounter turning out to be a Snakeir which they run into again and again, causing heavy losses...However it doesn't look like there were few, if even at all, Snakeirs before 2655. I could be wrong though. Most likely I'll just rewrite it as a encounter with a Fralthi if the current version doesn't work out.

Thanks for helping.

DJ Erik said:
Sorry for bumping up my own thread but I have another question.

For a early Vega campaign(Around the time that the Tiger's Claw is in Enyo system or Gimle System), what would be a more common carrier to come across, the Snakeir or the Sivar?

From what I can gather there are around 51 Snakeirs in sevice at that time, but only when the Kilrathi start making Snakeir Fleet Carriers do they actually enter the Vega sector.

For the Sivar, there appears to be around 700 of them and are said to be a highlight of Vega sector fleets. Not just the modified Sivar that destroyed Goddard.

These latest few chapter of Hell's Unicorns has gotten me into a bit of a mess since I was writing it with idea that the gigantic Kilrathi capship they encounter turning out to be a Snakeir which they run into again and again, causing heavy losses...However it doesn't look like there were few, if even at all, Snakeirs before 2655. I could be wrong though. Most likely I'll just rewrite it as a encounter with a Fralthi if the current version doesn't work out.

Thanks for helping.

Actually, the Snakiers are probably more common than Sivars, modified or not - remember that the Snakier is probably the premiere Kilrathi carrier, at least until their newer carrier designs start coming online, after the Battle of Terra. The Bhanktara-class is one type of carrier which does show up after the BoT.

The older Snakeir and Sivar related designs around during the original Wing Commander were dreadnoughts - heavy battleships rather than carriers.

If you're looking for an 'average' carrier to use in the WC1 era, your best bet is the design seen on Wing Commander Academy - it looks like a smaller version of the 22-km dreadnought from Wing Commander III.

Back