WC Universe Communications

TanGO

Spaceman
Hi, maybe somebody can response a few technical questions about WC Univerese communications.
Here they go:

1. Only comm possibles are video/radio and text/email?

2. What range have a "long range comm", "short range comm" and "capship range comm?

3. Wich comm types can do it between one system and other one?

4. If is possible comm between systems, how many systems a comm can cover without a comm station? (i.e. from capship to a base)

5. Are it real time transmissions?

6. If a capship put a radio silenece reduce your radar enemy detection?

7. What range can cover a SWAC to determine a enemy position?

Thanks!

To begin with, it must be noted that comms are a plot device, which means that they will work any time the authors need them to work in order to advance the story, and they will not work any time the authors need them to not work in order to advance the story. Anyway...

1. Video, sound and text pretty much cover what comm systems should anyway, so I don't entirely understand your question :p. Presumably, comm systems are capable of transmitting anything that can be transmitted - though, not knowing whether these are digital or analogue transmissions, we don't know their exact capabilities.

2. According to the WC1 manual, (some?) Kilrathi fighters have a comm system that only has a range of 5,000 metres (or 15,000... I can't remember). But even this limitation is inconsitently applied. Blair in WC1 can be taunted by any Kilrathi ship, even one that theoretically is beyond comm range. Confed pilots are always able to communicate with their base ship when the storyline requires them to - no range has ever been defined.

3. We don't know - in WC2, the Concordia receives a transmission from a different system, but it's not explained how this works. The WCP manual talks about some kind of transmission system called FLASH (note: FLASH may not be the name of the system - in may be an acronym signifying the contents of the message, kinda like SOS), but no explanation is given as to how that works, either. The book Action Stations also includes a special type of comm system (translight comms, IIRC), which apparently provides near-instantaneous transmission even on such distances as McAuliffe to Earth - but of course, it never works because the book's storyline doesn't allow it to ;). It may be that WCP's FLASH system is somehow related to this, and it may be that this is what all those comm relay stations in WC4/WCP are there for (in any case, WCP does imply that the Midway cannot communicate too far without the Hhrass Relay Station... but since the Midway is not in Hhrass when this problem is noticed, we can conclude that the Midway can transmit from one system to another).
Oh, the WCM movie also deserves a mention here - apparently, in 2654, the fastest way to get a message from Tolwyn (somewhere in Enigma Sector?) to the Tiger's Claw (in Enyo, Vega) is to send a drone to Pegasus (Dakota, Vega). It's not entirely clear why drones are used for comms in 2654 instead of those translight messages from 2634 - the real answer, of course, is that the writer of the movie script most likely never read AS, but I don't know what sort of in-universe explanation would best explain this.

4. See above.

5. Depends. Some transmissions are real-time (in-system ones always seem to be), while others can have a significant time-lag. In 2673, it takes a few days (weeks? Again, I can't remember the details) for a transmission of the senate debate (WC4 intro) to get to Blair on Nephele. However, in 2681, Intel on Earth is aware of what's going on in Kilrah almost at the same time as it happens. There are two possibilities here - a) there is a significant difference in the quality of civilian and military comms, with the latter working almost real-time while the former are very laggy, and b) the time lags of 2673 would no longer happen in 2681, which seems reasonable if we assume that the Hhrass Relay Station and other similar bases were built in the 2670s. In UE, I've assumed that the time lags do still exist beyond a certain range - but of course, UE cannot really be used to prove anything.

6. Radar, no - comms and radar are entirely unrelated. However, comm silence would prevent enemies beyond radar range from detecting you. Also, comm silence is not always necessary to remain undetected - one or two WC sources talk about laser-link comms, where messages are sent along a single beam to the receiver. In such a situation, the only way messages can be detected is if somebody gets directly in the path of the beam.

7. No idea.

Note that I probably got a few things wrong above, since I'm working almost entirely from memory.

Burst transmissions are most likely the same as FLASH and the Earth/McAuliffe system, they are mentioned in ER, FA, FC and I believe in HOTT and TPOF but not sure. They work by compressing an extreme amount of data into a short "burst" (hence the name) that is sent out to its destination with the hopes that the enemy will not be able to intercept it.

First, thanks for information, now related to drones...
Quarto said:
It's not entirely clear why drones are used for comms in 2654 instead of those translight messages from 2634 - the real answer, of course, is that the writer of the movie script most likely never read AS, but I don't know what sort of in-universe explanation would best explain this.

Could be that the drone travel with the information near of relay station?

Thanks!

TanGO said:
Could be that the drone travel with the information near of relay station?
Well, that's possible, but the real question is why wouldn't a base as important as Pegasus have its own translight transmitter (i.e., be its own relay station)?

Communications is always interesting to me in science fiction. I actually pretended in my mind that in Wing Commander each jump buoy also had a comm relay built into it. But then I thought that the enemy would just be destroying the jump buoys. But then I thought what purpose the jump buoys were for anyway. I mean, there were buoys in all Confed systems it seemed. But even then the Kilrathi would jump through their space and probably destroy them.

Nothing like the ansibles(think I spelled that right) in Ender's Game. Or the classic couriers in Dune.

I don't believe that buoys has a comm included built in. Perhaps the buoys are not to jump purpose?. I say a system to connect the jump drive?. A better explaination could be around the relay stations. Now I don't remember where the Cerberus established your last communication before the travel to whormole?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Comm re-transmitters were installed in all the Jump Bouys. Possibly in the jump bouy FAQ, which wouldn't be canon.

As for Burst Transmissions, it should be noted that the enemy intercepting them doesn't stop them from going through to their destination, it merely allows them to read the message, possible before it reaches it's destination.

Jump buoys most likely do have comm relays in them, their purpose is more to inform ships of the jump points position and maybe to relay back to confed if enemy vessels have passed through the point, they might keep a log of every ship that goes through or something like that.

Burst transmissions can be intercepted, but that does not stop them from going to their destination. In FA the crew of the Tarawa catchs bursts that are reflected off kilrah's moon (I think I remember it bouncing off some body). Decoding a burst transmission is just like decoding most other ciphered msgs.

They are used quite often in WC (I think every book talks about them), it seems that they are FTL signals, as in FA Thrakhath and someone (forgot) talk about how they can't put everything into courier ships to deliever out to Hari. Target and tactical updates were something constant that the hidden fleet needed.

Yeah I just wanted to make sure that whoever asked the original questions understood the part about intercepting the messages.

TanGO said:
I don't believe that buoys has a comm included built in. Perhaps the buoys are not to jump purpose?
Buoys definitely have some kind of comm system included. As far as I can work out, jump point buoys have two basic purposes -
1. Early warning. When an enemy force jumps in (or approaches the jump point from within the system), the buoy will almost certainly get taken out - but not before it sends off a comm message. And if it doesn't get taken out, it'll keep broadcasting info about everything within its scanner range.
2. Marking the jump point area. Presumably, there are ways to detect jump points using fancy equipment, but it's also good to have something that the helmsman can look at directly.

Also, some buoys are armed - at least, Kilrathi buoys. It's not clear whether Confed also arms their buoys, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

It seems that buoys could "store information" for jumps or as "interceptor" of other transsmisions too, but they couldn't transmit them. IIRC some mission on a WC game is over "scan" a buoy? Thus could we say that a buoy is a "black-box" and not a comm transmisor?

I'm sure buoys can store information, but I don't think this means they can't transmit it. The mission you're talking about, presumably, is the one in WCP - there, you were actually searching for an enemy buoy, and you had to find the right one. Then, once you found it, you wanted all of the buoy's contents - not just whatever (if anything) it was transmitting at the moment.

As I understand it, there are three methods of communication used in Wing Commander.

First is the ordinary radio communication, only really usable for in-system communication. This is what fighters use to communicate with each other and with their carrier.

Next is tachyon communication, which shoots bursts of tachyons representing a signal. This is much faster than radio, but tachyon transmitter/receivers are too bulky/expensive to mount on fighters. Capships have enough power to send a signal strong enough to be picked up by communication relay stations in other systems, but can only recieve signals sent by other capships when in-system--basically a relay station has to be on one end or the other for inter-system communication because only a dedicated communication relay station (or a multi-function station including such equipment) can produce the multi-megawatt signal needed to be heard over dozens of light years of distance, and only a powerful antenna as such stations possess can hear the weaker signals sent by capships over such distances.

The third method involves using jump points (and bouys or other sorts of transmitter/receivers). A signal originating from a ship in system A gets relayed through the jump point to system B, then gets relayed to the jump point from B to C, etc. until it arrives in the destination system. This method has the advantage of being fast enough for inter-system communication while not relying on large centralized communication relay stations, but the disadvantage is that individual nodes can be destroyed easily (i.e. it is a decentralized communication system).

These methods explain a number of communications issues in Wing Commander. The drone used in the movie would have been the fastest method available if enough bouys had been destroyed to isolate the Tiger Claw from the Concordia in the inter-system network since neither the TC nor the Concordia would carry equipment powerful enough for direct communication (not to mention that the drone reduced the probability that the message would be intercepted by the Kilrathi). Likewise, in the WC2 mission where Blair retrieves a data pod from the ship that was destroyed by a Ralatha just as he jumped in supports such a system--the ship would not have been able to transmit directly to the Concordia because it lacked sufficiently powerful equipment for direct communication.

I`ve checked something about "flash message" and it appears that this is not a communication system, rather a military term:
FLASH message: A category of precedence reserved for initial enemy contact messages or operational combat messages of extreme urgency. Brevity is mandatory. (Definition taken from "Joint Publication 1-02: Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms")

Ijuin said:
The third method involves using jump points (and bouys or other sorts of transmitter/receivers). A signal originating from a ship in system A gets relayed through the jump point to system B, then gets relayed to the jump point from B to C, etc. until it arrives in the destination system.

Then if the buoys comms really are ships signals, they are not a comm method else a radar-inter system method I suppose, that's true?

My first question is, if there are Confed and Kilrathi buoys (in some case), the confed can "read" the signals from Kilrathi buoys?

and next I'm question myself... could be a retreat tactical to eliminate own buoys?

Dominator said:
I`ve checked something about "flash message" and it appears that this is not a communication system, rather a military term.
Thanks for clearing that up :).

In thinking about the different protocols of communication this is the list I could come up with off the top of my head...

General radio...ship-to-ship, fighter...etc
Tight beam laser link...ship to ship, fighter...etc
Burst Transmission...FTL method, between planets and systems, ship to ship, and some smaller capships such as transports, although I don't think they would be standard equipment, some fighters are also known to carry burst capability (kilrathi fighters in AS were modified)
Data Pod...hard copy
Courier Pouch...paper communications with digital attatchments

Back