Wc to B5

Stunner

Rear Admiral
Yeah what happened to this mod? Did it just die or what? It was on a huge roll and then just came to a screching hault. What's up?

I've put it away in a drawer...its somewhere next to my socks...

Seriously tough, its pretty much dead due to the lack of help and free time :(
Right now i mostly have access to my pc once a month, and i asked several times for my login password to the firstones guys, since i lost it, but got no answer.

Im trying to work on a new wc project when i get the time, but im in need of a modeller, Eder is too busy with standoff...
Anybody?

well, tell me what you need. Perhaps we have already created a mesh of that ship for Wing Commander Saga...

A B5 sim would flat out rock. I heard that the one that Sierra was producing was nearly complete when it was canceled. Anyone know what happened to that code or what engine it was based on?

Would any WC engine be able to do a B5 sim justice? Everything I recall seeing in that show, it used real physics (or at least heavily implied them) for all human craft. Thrust vectoring and all that. Limited fuel supply, maneuvering thrusters not as strong as main engine thrusters and heavy Fly-By-Wire and computer invovlment to help with that fact (like their little 180 turn, hit the brakes move - doing that manually would be nigh impossible).

I recently noticed that WC1 was far more "realistic" for space flight than I had ever thought really, and once you factor in the acceptance of shields and artificial gravity, the idea of fighters behaving as they do in WC is extremely plausible, so much so as to even call it "realistic". But, I'm guessing that a true force vector model isn't part of the WC physics engine.

Sorry for the rambling. :D

I don't think IFH and the Sierra Starfury sim are related, save that the cancellation of one lead fans to develop the other.

AFAIK, Sierra still holds onto whatever material was developed for their B5 game... as is their legal right.

(As an aside: people, games aren't cancelled twelve months into their development, following film shoots and graphic renderings and millions of dollars of development money just for fun. In all likelyhood, the B5 game just plain sucked.)

Bandit LOAF said:
I don't think IFH and the Sierra Starfury sim are related, save that the cancellation of one lead fans to develop the other.

AFAIK, Sierra still holds onto whatever material was developed for their B5 game... as is their legal right.

(As an aside: people, games aren't cancelled twelve months into their development, following film shoots and graphic renderings and millions of dollars of development money just for fun. In all likelyhood, the B5 game just plain sucked.)

Sierra doesn't seem to be the type of company to develop a game that sucks for a year only to cancel it. They claimed (IIRC) that the market for space sims dried up so they cut their losses. Around the time that it happened the people who were working on it were upset and were trying to find a way to get it finished and released, but it never happened it seems. :(

Sierra did cancel it because they didn't think they would make enough money from it du to the so called decline of space sims. However it was on the eve of release. The game was supposed to be relased the following month. The code itself is owned by sirrea and Warner Brothers studios, as they (at the time) held the rights to Babylon 5.

Back