WC TacOps Game Manual v0.1 released

The manual reminds me fondly of the renegade legion board games (mostly the hex systems). Such fond memories...

The manual reminds me fondly of the renegade legion board games (mostly the hex systems). Such fond memories...

Thankfully, it's not quite as... complex... as RL was. I hated the diagrams and the strange template damage system from RL.

Changes included (as far as I saw them):

- reduced firing arc for the torpedo

- chaff pods less effective

- evading missiles with AB now allows all manoeuvers but at the expense of the next turn's movement phase

- Flak destroys missiles at 8 +

Did I miss anything other?

To be included:

- Torpedo speed increased to 5

- ship balancing

Personally, I would still favour that chaff pods should work against guided missiles from all firing arcs. They become too powerful if not, IMHO. And afterburning away from a missile puts you out of the fight for at least one round and drags fights. Plus, I remember chaff pods being very effective in WC 2.
And I maintain my post for the Flak form the volunteers thread.

I have a question and an idea to run by Ironduke:

Question: How is the pc port for tacops coming along?

Idea: In the pc port, would it have some type of die roll "generator", or would it be easier to have the player roll their own dice and just punch in the numbers into a text box to resolve dice rolls?

Well, basically my idea was, instead of coding some type of dice roll generator into the game (and coming up with some type of bell curve probability generator) you could just have the player roll their own dice and punch in the numbers. That way all you would need for the pc port is a game field, tiles for the ships and things, and editable ship stat cards, character sheet etc. while allowing players to roll their own dice. That way you wouldn't need to make the game engine more complicated than it had to be. (unless you are working on some type of single player AI opponent, but in my opinion that is unnecissary)

Just a thought, hope to hear back from you.

Question: How is the pc port for tacops coming along?
Last thing I heard, Mike-L was continuing working on it. But let's face the facts: Coding a good game consumes an awful lot of time, and I'm not sure if Mike-L has the time to ever finish what he started.

Idea: In the pc port, would it have some type of die roll "generator", or would it be easier to have the player roll their own dice and just punch in the numbers into a text box to resolve dice rolls?
While I thought along the lines of this myself (if only to be able to play TacOps via IRC), it's just not something that will speed up development of a PC game. Generating a die roll is essentially nothing more than "d1 = Math.random()*5+1" (simplified). And it's nothing I haven't already done in other games I wrote - the real fun starts with multiplayer capability and sending/parsing orders. That's where I always gave up. ;)

Really like the game, captures the feel of WC IMO (which given I've only played Prophecy and Secret OP's isn't that informed). The manuel is a good length and rules nice and simple (for a space fighter game).

Half-way through a second test game, the only things I can see have already been mentioned, balanced points values for ships, points values for pilots, etc. However for the next update a quick reference sheet with all the major tables on would be a good idea and perhaps record cards that include pilot and ship details on a single one.

However for the next update a quick reference sheet with all the major tables on would be a good idea and perhaps record cards that include pilot and ship details on a single one.
I've actually made some quick reference cards for missiles and guns, but I used some placeholder graphics I borrowed from the WC:pioneer project - so, for obvious reasons, I won't release them as they are. I'll think about a redesign, though, and I also have some designs for ship/character sheets in my desk. It's definitely an issue on my ever growing to-do list... :rolleyes: ;)

Hello all. I've been watching this for a while and am getting interested in boardgames like this recently. I came across something which might be of great use to the TacOps project, and I couldn't not tell you all. It's called VASSAL. Here's a link: http://www.vassalengine.org/

Basically, it's a Java program that runs on all platforms that's designed to allow boardgames to be played online in real time. Considering the difficulties in programming something like this from scratch, it might save some time.

Also, to show what this could do, I've set up a test module to run TacOps in this program. I've used the graphics released here to get a simple dogfight game possible. You can be either Confed, Kilrathi, or a neutral Referee. I have 5 Confed units and 4 Kilrathi units, and the asteroid counter. All of the stat cards for these counters are in a section for quick charts. Also, I have set up individual counter sheets to keep track of your ship while playing, with specific counter pieces to do so. Poke around in it to see if you could use it. I've uploaded it to my .Mac server space for now, here's a link for the module: WCTO. In order to play it, you need to download VASSAL (version 3.0.15, which is the current version I believe), place the .mod file in the same folder, and run VASSAL and hit the "Play Module" button and choose WCTO.mod, and start a game offline to fiddle around with it.

Ironduke, I assume you will have much more graphical capability with this, and editing this module isn't too hard. Also, this might make test games run a little faster.

-Guido831-

Interesting find - thanks for sharing this, Guido831! I downloaded VASSAL and took a quick look. I'm not sure how you share game turns with other people right now, but then again, I didn't (and still don't) have much time to figure it out. Just wanted to let you know that your proposal hasn't gone unnoticed! :)

You can record your "turn" by creating a "Logfile" (go to File>Begin Logfile, then File>End Logfile when you finish) and send that to the referee or your opponent, who then will play it back and create their own logfile and send it back. I'm not sure how playing online together would work. When you connect live, you can see everyone manipulating the pieces as it happens, so moves might have to be written down prior to the movement phase, or just use the honor system. There might be a way to use a double-blind method to enforce this, but I haven't figured out how to program that in.

And you're welcome for the info. Hope it helps, at least, in the end.

Back