WC TacOps Game Manual v0.1 released

(1) Yes, you're absolutely right, mass drivers had an effective range of 3,000 mrrs, while neutrons just shot as far as 2,500 mrrs. I took the freedom of rounding up the neutron gun's range since, in the concept of a hex game, you have to draw a line somewhere. You'll also notice that the Rapier II's speed is 5 in the hex game, while its actual max speed was 450 kps in WC2. Both are examples of compromises I had to accept while designing WCTO.

So MDCs should be Range 3, same as Neutron Guns?

(2) Quick and easy: no. Quick and dirty: Perhaps. ;) However, I already converted all WC1 and Privateer ships to WCTO's stats, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I can offer the stats as they are, but since I don't have renders of those ships, I haven't balanced them at all so far. (No point cost values given.)

Oh, excellent. I shall just sit and be patient and work on sketching up a scenario pack or three!

(3) Yeah, I know... They're in my head, but that's that. Real life is sucking up my free time right now... Very sorry! :(

Perfectly understandable -- good luck!

So MDCs should be Range 3, same as Neutron Guns?
Now you've got us both confused... *g* I looked it up, and I saw that I actually got a range of 2,000 mrrs concerning the mass drivers. However, WC1's claw marks state the mass drivers can shoot as far as 3,000 mrrs, and WC2's manual describes the mass driver as "medium range" weapon, whereas the neutron gun is only efficient at "close range."
Increasing the mass driver's range won't work, however, since it wouldn't make any difference then whether you used mass drivers or neutron guns.

I'll look into it - first, I have to know why I found sources claiming that the mass driver's max range is 2,000 mrrs. :confused:

Oh, excellent. I shall just sit and be patient and work on sketching up a scenario pack or three!
I could send you the stats I worked out for those other ships, if that would help. I'd have to e-mail it to you, however, since the list is too long for a pm.

Perfectly understandable -- good luck!
Thanks... I might still consider splitting some of the work up (if there are any volunteers), so that WCTO will be finished after all.
For now, I'm looking forward what Mike-L will come up with. ;)

Now you've got us both confused... *g* I looked it up, and I saw that I actually got a range of 2,000 mrrs concerning the mass drivers. However, WC1's claw marks state the mass drivers can shoot as far as 3,000 mrrs, and WC2's manual describes the mass driver as "medium range" weapon, whereas the neutron gun is only efficient at "close range."
Increasing the mass driver's range won't work, however, since it wouldn't make any difference then whether you used mass drivers or neutron guns.

I'll look into it - first, I have to know why I found sources claiming that the mass driver's max range is 2,000 mrrs. :confused:

Ah! I think I see it. In WC3's Victory Streak, the range for a Mass Driver is listed as 2000. Nothing in the Privateer manual gives RANGE, just velocity.

I could send you the stats I worked out for those other ships, if that would help. I'd have to e-mail it to you, however, since the list is too long for a pm.

Happily! I'll PM my e-mail address.

Thanks... I might still consider splitting some of the work up (if there are any volunteers), so that WCTO will be finished after all.
For now, I'm looking forward what Mike-L will come up with. ;)

Me too! (And I'd be happy to lend a hand to some of the work, depending on what you need. I can't draw worth a darn, I fear...)

Here's a chart of (most of) the known gun statistics -- as you can see, they change from game to game: https://www.wcnews.com/articles/gunchart.htm
Actually, that list was one of my references when I did the stats for WCTO's guns. Not sure why that piece of information slipped by me, or what other source contradicted it. :confused:

While Mike-L is still working on the C++ port, I thought I'd share some information about damageable ship components in the game. As always, feel free to comment!
"Light," "Moderate," "Heavy" and "Destroyed" denotes the damage level of the respective component, and what effect it has in game terms.

Acceleration absorber
To successfully accelerate/decelerate with a damaged acceleration absorber, you have to roll a minimum of...
Light: 3+
Moderate: 4+
Heavy: 5+, Acceleration reduced by 1
Destroyed: no acceleration possible

Afterburner
Light: Afterburner speed -2
Moderate: Afterburner speed -4
Heavy: Afterburner speed -6
Destroyed: Afterburner can't be used

Computer system
Light: communications system malfunctioning
Moderate: communications system fails (including transmission of IFF code)
Heavy: temporary power-down (lasts 1 turn; cumulative)
Destroyed: "Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it."

Ejection system
Light: +1 penalty for successful ejection
Moderate: +2 penalty for successful ejection
Heavy: +3 penalty successful ejection
Destroyed: no ejection possible

Fuel tanks
Light: Afterburner charges/Jumps -1
Moderate: Afterburner charges/Jumps -2
Heavy: Afterburner charges/Jumps -3
Destroyed: No afterburner/jumps possible

Ion drive
Light: Max Speed -1
Moderate: Max Speed -2
Heavy: Max Speed -3
Destroyed: ship coasts to a full stop (reduce current speed by 1 each turn)

Maneuver jets
To successfully change course with damaged maneuver jets, you have to roll a minimum of...
Light: 3+
Moderate: 4+, Turn Rate reduced by 1
Heavy: 5+, Turn Rate reduced by 2
Destroyed: Turn Rate drops to 0

Power plant
Ship will explode at the end of the next turn if you don't roll a minimum of...
Light: 2+
Moderate: 3+
Heavy: 4+
Destroyed: automatic

Repair system
Repairs one system at a time; damage level is reduced by 1 after 3 turns
Light: after 5 turns
Moderate: after 7 turns
Heavy: after 10 turns
Destroyed: no repairs possible

Shield generator
Affects shield points regeneration as well as shield points maximum
Light: Regeneration -1, shields maximum -25%
Moderate: Regeneration -2, shields maximum -50%
Heavy: Regeneration -3, shields maximum -75%
Destroyed: "Shields? What shields?!?"

Target track system
Damage to a ship's target track system adds Target Roll penalties
Light: Target Roll -1, missile Target Roll -1 (except DF and FF)
Moderate: Target Roll -2, missile Target Roll -2 (except DF and FF)
Heavy: Target Roll -3, missile Target Roll -3 (except DF and FF)
Destroyed: Target Roll -3, no missiles except DF and FF can be fired

Weapon destroyed
Gun, missile or decoy is immediately destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and in case you were wondering about ejecting in WCTO:

Ejecting
Pilots can eject at any given time during combat. Roll 1d6 and add/substract the ejecting pilot's skill level.
Note that a damaged ejection system will worsen the chances of a successful bail-out.
Natural 1: pilot dies during eject (except for Legendary pilots, who will eject mortally wounded)
0: pilot ejects successfully, but is mortally wounded
1: pilot ejects successfully, but is injured
2+: pilot ejects safely
Successful ejection means the pilot is drifting through space with life-support for a few hours. He still remains to be picked up during or after the engagement - and picked up by the right people...

Not sure if its any help at all or if you are even remotely interested but I put together a set of Wing Commander Counters a long while back using images from many sources. I have better quality versions of the following... just thought you might have use for them?:)
Ah, I remember those...! Well, right at the moment I don't have any use for the Nephilim ones, since I chose the WC2 era for WCTO's setting. I'd be interested to see the Hellcat, Hornet and Jrathek in better quality, though.

Personally, I'd like to keep to the "comicy style" already set by Marc's models, but I'm sure there are people out there who can put your counters to good use. If anyone wants to try his or her luck in converting the more "modern-era" ships of WC to WCTO, please - feel free to do it!

Yeah, if you have higher quality versions of your counters, someone will definitely use them for something here.

I do have much larger versions and the very large versions that these were created from, so feel free to PM me and I can send them to whoever needs them!

WHN

UPDATE

Here's a bunch of new counters I designed for WCTO. You'll notice the new ship counters feature a specific designation (like "Bravo 1," to better keep track of your ships) as well as their required Target Roll in the upper right corner.

Included are:
- 2 wings of 4 Ferrets each
- 2 wings of 4 Epees each
- 4 wings of 4 Rapier IIs each
- 2 wings of 4 Sabres each
- 2 wings of 4 Broadswords each
- 2 wings of 8 Sartha each
- 2 wings of 8 Drakhri each
- 2 wings of 4 Jalkehi each
- 2 wings of 4 Grikath each
- 12 asteroid counters

(Print resolution equals 300 dpi as always, individual counters should be 20mm high and wide.)

Get them here:
WCTO Fighter Counters (new design) (~1.8 MB)

Back to business: With the release of Arena's Star*Soldier manual, I've updated WCTO's ship list. All Ship Stat Cards have also been enhanced to facilitate print-outs. I'll put them online as soon as I have the time, which should be during summer break. Here's hoping I find the time to continue this project in the next 2-3 months... ;)

just bumped into this. looks pretty interesting both the cpp and board game version. Will definitely have to check the rules out.

Any progress on this?

There's actually not much more to add to ChrisReid's post, I guess. Aside from the fact, maybe, that Mike-L contacted me the other day and told me he'll continue working on the PC port of the game. I'm definitely eager to see what he'll come up with - and I keep my fingers crossed to see the day. :)

Back