WC: SO win2k problem

U

Unregistered

How do you make Wing Commander Secret ops work on win 2k??? It gave me a error msg like this:

THE INSTRUCTION AT "0x004b2ac9" REFERENCED MEMORY AT "0x0007a520". THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ".

btw, i had visual C++ 6.0 or watever, it show me that error instead of This program has an error blah blah blah blah blah...

Uh... that didn't work, and isn't that patch for WC: prophecy???

Mmm, yeah, you probably won't want to apply the Prophecy patch to Secret Ops.

There's just no way of running SO in 2K. You could maybe set up a dual boot and have Windows 95 or 98 on the other one if you're tech savvy enough.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Have you tried the Windows 2000 patch? Download it here: ftp://blacklance.org/pub/cic/wcp/prophecy_win2k.zip
Hi! I`ve a lot of copies of this damn patch, from different places, i`ve DirectX 8 too! No results!!! Does anyone knows any more secrets of playng this game? Ready to try. Almost ready to pay.

PS By the way, BANDIT, where are you from? Russia? I`m from Russia. mailto:boris_vdv@mail.ru

DECAHT

Bandit is from US,anyway there is no WAY for SO to play in win2000. :(

Believe me ,I ve tried a lot.

What do you have Win2000 anyway ?Put Win98SE ,they are better :)

I came across a site that explains how to enable compatibility mode in Win2000. All you need is to run the command:

regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed. I have Service Pack3 and managed to get Secret Ops and UE running so far, no problems whatsoever (both Win95 and Win98 compat. modes seem to work). More details, see:

http://www.petri.co.il/application_compatibility_tool.htm

A note however: the compatibility tab will only appear if you right-click on a shortcut, not the executable itself, so you may need to create a shortcut to the executable first.

Hope this helps,

Mario

(edit) URL wrapping... agh, i give up :/

Originally posted by HCl
All you need is to run the command:

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed.

Thanks for the tip, it now works ! I've been trying to play again since I bought a new computer, equipped with Win 2k.

Except that "/u" is for removing the compatibility tab.
Type " regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll "

Only problem is that the display is not stable. While flying, it's OK, but during the missions briefing, the screen becomes black.
However, WC1 doesn't crash : a space bar hit brings the next image (but too fast for me to read the mission !)

But I don't really need to read the briefing, I discover soon enough what I am to do.

And anyway, I rather think the problem comes from display settings than from WC itself !

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I confirm the method is OK for WC1 and its add-ons.
I just tried Secret Ops (not those of WC2 of course), and I can see the intro perfectly well, but the game crashes when the first mission begins.
But my problem first was to get WC1 running with Win2K.

Again, I'm sorry if I gave false hopes to any of you
:rolleyes:

Well, I've just tried once again (but did not play the mission entirely, I just started it to check that I could play when I have time) and, well, SO ran smoothly (a little too fast maybe, and I believe it's because my mouse is a USB mouse that it did not recognize it during the flight, while it did in between however)

The only difference with last time (but did I really change anything ? I'm not sure) is that I launched "setup" and selected "software" in the "Select video card" option.

I hope I'd be able to confirm it's possible to play SO under Windows 2000 in a few days.
:confused:

:) Good news everybody !
I just flew two missions without any problem. I repeat : I can play Secret Ops under Windows 2000, after having installed the Win95 compatibility mode.

Well, yay again! :)

And, to quote Mario:

how to enable compatibility mode in Win2000. All you need is to run the command:

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed. I have Service Pack3 and managed to get Secret Ops and UE running so far, no problems whatsoever (both Win95 and Win98 compat. modes seem to work). More details, see:

http://www.petri.co.il/application_compatibility_tool.htm

A note however: the compatibility tab will only appear if you right-click on a shortcut, not the executable itself, so you may need to create a shortcut to the executable first.

I'm afraid I have to tell the method is not fully reliable :(

In fact, sometimes I can play WC:SO without any problem, whereas there are times when I can't.

played 5 straight missions of Secret Opps on Win2k SP4 without a hitch. thanks a lot HCL, now if i can only get the Vision engine to run properly on Linux............

Back