WC: SO win2k problem

U

Unregistered

How do you make Wing Commander Secret ops work on win 2k??? It gave me a error msg like this:

THE INSTRUCTION AT "0x004b2ac9" REFERENCED MEMORY AT "0x0007a520". THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ".

btw, i had visual C++ 6.0 or watever, it show me that error instead of This program has an error blah blah blah blah blah...

U

Unregistered

Uh... that didn't work, and isn't that patch for WC: prophecy???

KrisV

Administrator
Mmm, yeah, you probably won't want to apply the Prophecy patch to Secret Ops.

There's just no way of running SO in 2K. You could maybe set up a dual boot and have Windows 95 or 98 on the other one if you're tech savvy enough.

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Have you tried the Windows 2000 patch? Download it here: ftp://blacklance.org/pub/cic/wcp/prophecy_win2k.zip
Hi! I`ve a lot of copies of this damn patch, from different places, i`ve DirectX 8 too! No results!!! Does anyone knows any more secrets of playng this game? Ready to try. Almost ready to pay.

PS By the way, BANDIT, where are you from? Russia? I`m from Russia. mailto:boris_vdv@mail.ru

DECAHT

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Bandit is from US,anyway there is no WAY for SO to play in win2000. :(

Believe me ,I ve tried a lot.

What do you have Win2000 anyway ?Put Win98SE ,they are better :)

HCl

WC EXE archaeologist
I came across a site that explains how to enable compatibility mode in Win2000. All you need is to run the command:

regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed. I have Service Pack3 and managed to get Secret Ops and UE running so far, no problems whatsoever (both Win95 and Win98 compat. modes seem to work). More details, see:

http://www.petri.co.il/application_compatibility_tool.htm

A note however: the compatibility tab will only appear if you right-click on a shortcut, not the executable itself, so you may need to create a shortcut to the executable first.

Hope this helps,

Mario

(edit) URL wrapping... agh, i give up :/

XIII

Rear Admiral
Originally posted by HCl
All you need is to run the command:

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed.

Thanks for the tip, it now works ! I've been trying to play again since I bought a new computer, equipped with Win 2k.

Except that "/u" is for removing the compatibility tab.
Type " regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll "

XIII

Rear Admiral
Only problem is that the display is not stable. While flying, it's OK, but during the missions briefing, the screen becomes black.
However, WC1 doesn't crash : a space bar hit brings the next image (but too fast for me to read the mission !)

But I don't really need to read the briefing, I discover soon enough what I am to do.

And anyway, I rather think the problem comes from display settings than from WC itself !

XIII

Rear Admiral
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I confirm the method is OK for WC1 and its add-ons.
I just tried Secret Ops (not those of WC2 of course), and I can see the intro perfectly well, but the game crashes when the first mission begins.
But my problem first was to get WC1 running with Win2K.

Again, I'm sorry if I gave false hopes to any of you
:rolleyes:

XIII

Rear Admiral
Well, I've just tried once again (but did not play the mission entirely, I just started it to check that I could play when I have time) and, well, SO ran smoothly (a little too fast maybe, and I believe it's because my mouse is a USB mouse that it did not recognize it during the flight, while it did in between however)

The only difference with last time (but did I really change anything ? I'm not sure) is that I launched "setup" and selected "software" in the "Select video card" option.

I hope I'd be able to confirm it's possible to play SO under Windows 2000 in a few days.
:confused:

XIII

Rear Admiral
:) Good news everybody !
I just flew two missions without any problem. I repeat : I can play Secret Ops under Windows 2000, after having installed the Win95 compatibility mode.

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Well, yay again! :)

And, to quote Mario:

how to enable compatibility mode in Win2000. All you need is to run the command:

and have at least Win2k Service Pack2 installed. I have Service Pack3 and managed to get Secret Ops and UE running so far, no problems whatsoever (both Win95 and Win98 compat. modes seem to work). More details, see:

http://www.petri.co.il/application_compatibility_tool.htm

A note however: the compatibility tab will only appear if you right-click on a shortcut, not the executable itself, so you may need to create a shortcut to the executable first.

XIII

Rear Admiral
I'm afraid I have to tell the method is not fully reliable :(

In fact, sometimes I can play WC:SO without any problem, whereas there are times when I can't.

Foxtrot

Spaceman
played 5 straight missions of Secret Opps on Win2k SP4 without a hitch. thanks a lot HCL, now if i can only get the Vision engine to run properly on Linux............