WC sega cd

Dekkar

Spaceman
Strolling through a local game store I happened to stumble upon wing commander for sega cd. Being low on funds and not having a sega cd I let it be , and purchased only what I was originally there for [double dragon 2 for nes]. Later when I got home I stopped and thought about going back to purchase it. I'm a little curious about a few things
1- What's it like?
2-Has anyone who owns a copy tried it in an emulator?
3- Are sega cd games compatible with those crazy vcd players that play sega genesis games?

p.s: after a long night of playing nintendo games with my friends, I can safely say double dragon 2 still rocks :cool: .

Man, I remember the Sega CD! And I remember the WC game for it too. It was pretty good (aren't all WC?), but due to the fact that it was on the SCD it could have been a lot better. I haven't looked for it in an emulator fashion, no, as I have the game for the PC.

As to the playing it on another operating system, I'm honestly not sure, but I for some reason don't think it would. However, it has been a LONG time since I had a SCD (and it's constant loading....loading load screen....loading load bar....loading load processing software... :rolleyes: ) So I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone here has probably tried it.

Last I checked, there was no working SegaCD emulator...

SegaCD WC1 was a lot like WC1 (and SM1&2), except with full speech.

It can be found for a few dollars on eBay, and a SegaCD console can be purchased for little more than that <G>

Well...

I know not much about Wing Commander on the Sega CD except one thing- it had digitized speech! They made such a big deal about that back in the day. However, Super Wing Commander on 3DO rocks! Best version ever....

:D

Say, I was just thinking, LOAF. WC3 on the 3DO used 2D sprites like the older WCs, correct? Any chance you could do a thing similar to "SWC Ship of the Day", or are you unable to have access to those models?

To Wedge

I bought a 3DO for the soul purpose of WC3! WC3 on the 3DO doesn't use sprites for ships (although you may be tricked to believe they did).

You see, the 3DO version used very low rez, low numbered, low quality polygons. The texture mapping abilities on that system were horrendous!

However, the movie was cleaned and spruced up magnificantly (even the decision clauses were beefed up)! So, WC3 3DO used polygons... just yucky ones.

Super Wing Commander on the 3DO used sprites, though.

I know these things! I was a heavy 3DO fan (and all because of WC3)!

I hope you meant sole purpose. ;)

I don't much about the 3DO - I was just recalling that some WC3 game used 2D models and hoping we could get a daily feature similar to the SWC ships, since the news flow has been a bit dry lately.

Re: Oops!!

Originally posted by Col.Dom
I bought a 3DO for the soul purpose of WC3!
Me too, Panasonic FZ-10.
You see, the 3DO version used very low rez,
320x240, exactly the same as all other console game systems at the time, this includes PSX and Saturn. Even today, a console will default to that resolution on less sophisticated TVs (Read: the kind we all own.)
low numbered, low quality polygons. The texture mapping abilities on that system were horrendous![/B]
The 3DO was a considerably high-tech piece of equipment back in its day. The FPU of the system was right on the heels of the dual-processor Saturn, for instance. The image quality was also very high, despite the fact that high memory costs hamstrung it. All 3DOs shipped with half the RAM they were originally designed to make use of. The textures probably appeared lame because of the TV.
However, the movie was cleaned and spruced up magnificantly (even the decision clauses were beefed up)!
It was the same video used in all other versions, it's just you couldn't tell because televisions are so much better at smearing images than modern computer monitors that make use of annoying little features like aperture grilles and such.
So, WC3 3DO used polygons... just yucky ones.
:( There's no such thing.
There was a WC3 game that used 2D sprites? How, um, icky....
No there wasn't that's just Wedge making up fake facts.

3DO was Cool

Wow. I had no idea the 3DO was that good. I actually bought the Goldstar 3DO system because it came with Shockwave and Fifa International Soccer. The Panasonic FZ-10 came with nothing (I think Gex... which I ended up buying anyway).

I think I'll go to eBay and check for any of the FZ-10s... supposedly, they have even better FMV and the feature to play CD movies (without that supplemental video module thing).

Nevertheless, the 3DO had some good games. Too bad high hardware costs, weak 3rd party support sent it to an early grave! You know, in fact, WC4 was suppused to be on 3DO (along with MK3)!

Too bad.... :(

Oh yeah

Oops! Forgot about that one. Thanks, Penguin!

Say, Frosty, since you also seem to be a 3DO fan (and own the FZ-10 to boot), is there a way to transfer the saved data on the memory of a Goldstar 3DO over to an FZ-10? You know, like, link the two systems and transfer save data? I highly doubt it... but it was worth asking!

Originally posted by Wedge009
I hope you meant sole purpose. ;)

I don't much about the 3DO - I was just recalling that some WC3 game used 2D models and hoping we could get a daily feature similar to the SWC ships, since the news flow has been a bit dry lately.

How about something like war reports? Like from the beginning of the war to the end. That would be really cool! (hint hint LOAF!!!!)

Re: Re: Oops!!

Originally posted by Frosty
No there wasn't that's just Wedge making up fake facts.
Why, thank you. :( I was just recalling what I'm sure someone said. If I am wrong, then I'll accept it. I'm not the sort to make up 'fake' facts as I please. I request you withdraw that comment.

Argh

I just got reminded how bad Jurassic Park for 3DO is. Well, it wasn't bad back in the day. It was actually quite unique....

But, this is Wing Commander. What systems, besides the PC, SNES and 3DO have gotten Wing Commander games...?

Playstation got Wing Commander 3 and 4. WC3 featured things not in the PC Game:

*News clips featuring tidbits from the war on the front lines
*Hobbes's appology hologram
*Some dialouge edits (Vaquero says "Die, Gato!" instead of "Eat Shit and Die, Gato!")
*Several movies rendered esp for the PS, as it could not effectively render playable planetscapes. Instead, the bombing of Kilrah, the Temblor Bomb test and the attack on a Kilrathi facility was done via VERY spiffy movies.

The WC4 PS version had a crappy "Playstation only" level that involved doing a flyby of a station and taking pictures with your gun camera. It sucked, and was in lieu of the PSX's rendering ability (see above). All planet flying missions were removed (as well as a few other missions(?)).

Back