WC Secret Missions Help

Dougly

Spaceman
I'm a long time Wing Commander fan. Someone pointed me towards DosBox as a birthday present this year, and, as a result, I'm playing through the earlier Wing Commander games for the first time in years.

I need some help with a problem I've encountered with Secret Missions 1, though.

I just finished playing Border Zone, Mission 2. Angel was my wingman for that mission, and she came back alive. Both transports jumped out of the system intact. However, when I went back to the bar, Spirit turned up KIA on the score board.

I seem to recall random deaths happening every time I played through the Secret Missions (both 1 and 2) in the past. Do any of you know if this is a bug, or simply a natural part of the game? Furthermore, if it is a natural part of the game, is there any way to avoid it?

Personally, I find the random deaths to be rather annoying. It means that, no matter how much care I take to ensure that my wingmen make it back alive, I still end up missing out on the between missions dialouge for some characters. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen any of the dialouge for Spirit beyond the second Border Zone mission.

I'd appreciate any help that can be given to me on this. Thanks in advance.

That sounds like a bug...?

The only pre-scripted death that I know of is Bossman in SM2. (In order to yield a spare slot for a new pilot).

Its a bug that only occurs if you transfer your character to the secret missions IIRC. There is a (cheat) tool in the file section that is supposed to fix that bug as well.

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for directing me to that cheat tool.

Installing it fixed the bug and brought Spirit back to life. As an added bonus, I was able to return to myself the kills that I scored on my list mission during the Vega campaign, as well as the medal I was awarded. Losing that Pewter Planet when I transfer my character always has been annoying. :)

Thanks again!

Back