WC Prophecy Disk Problem

Moonsword

Spaceman
This isn't exactly tech support, but I don't ahve any better ideas on where to put it. My copy of Prophecy Gold has a scratched disk (#2) and I can't get the program to install.

Any ideas on how to get around this? I own the others (and will provide proof if need be) and I haven't been able to get in contact with EA tech support. Since they no longer list the game under their lists, I doubt they would help much, but I'm willing to try again.

Can you browse the disc in Windows Explorer? Is there just a certain file that's inaccessible? You can try copying the files to the hard drive and mounting them as a disc with Daemon Tools.

I can browse the disk, but there are about 4 files files that are unreadable. And by unreadable, I mean 'Explorer-freezes-and-fails-when-you-click-on-the-filename' unreadable. No error code, nothing, just freeze, then the mouse starts working again, then, about ten seconds later, the whole thing just quits out.

Any other ideas?

Okay, I got where I could try that, and the burning software generated a huge number of 'unrecoverable read error' messages on a reccomended simulation run. I'm trying to burn a straight copy, but I doubt this is going to work really well given the results of the simulation. Thanks, anyway, but I'll edit if this does, y some miracle, solve the problem.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I know this may sound silly but have you tried a CD cleaner? Some times the can smooth out scratched if they're not too deep.

They're deep, trust me. This is beyond CD cleaner help. And no, it doesn't sound silly at all. I can't quite remember how this happened, but I think the disc slipped out and I closed the case without looking. There's a half-inch long groove in the disk. Not gouged out, and hard to feel, but very, very obvious to the eyes. That's what's tripping up the CD drvie, unfortunately.

do you know what files are affected? Hey, Crid/Krisv, would it be permitted to send him just the damaged files? he could copy the fine ones from his cd to the HD, add the ones someone sent him and burn a new cd...

Yeah, that's why I asked him if he could figure out which files were damaged.

I know the .iff file and music.tre file are damaged, but I'm having some trouble figuring which of the others aren't damaged.

Anyone know where tog et a file that'll open a .tre file so I can find out?

Find a md5sum utility and sum all the files. These are mine...it's not Gold version (perhaps somebody else can check?) but all the undamaged files should have the same sum...

dd66b9bbf32dbce02315037d233a19e2 *gf2.tre
10935f8948aa7f5056b79db4ebc5323a *movies.tre
950fb5a6ececf558dc0e3996584e3647 *movies2.tre
8e9439306d9cac7e074c034a564fef10 *music.tre
be6edd6d95f4f63f3868bd7e9cbd52e6 *speech.tre
545d921320d9072be06d7effe6f82a04 *speech2.tre
d4a388a72879adf26dd1406c756d092b *wcpdisc2.iff

Took me a few days to get around to this.

Some of the files seemed unreadable, so I'm assuming those are bad. And yes, I know this list is most of the disc.

EDIT: Wait just a sec, hit the button early.

I need the following files:
wcpdisk2.iff
movies2.tre
music.tre
speech.tre
speech2.tre

I do not, repeat NOT, need movies.tre or gf2.tre. Sorry to force you guys to waste a CD-R on this, and thanks for the help.

Does your disc work? That kind of sounds like a different issue than someone with a scratched disc. Do you get an error message?

Back