WC Project Online

Vermin

Spaceman
Ok ok...

(why was my thread closed?)

Right my idea was originally an ONLINE project...ie we would all walk around capships and talk to each other and fly ships when under attack or missions had been given...this is fully possible and i think most people would want it...there could be a marines option where people could board ships and storm the fort etc...but my idea/visions (in my head man) were to have a massive persistant online game based in the WC universe...not an offline one WC needs an online....its time (i'm ranting) i love WC as well but playing the games over and over has made me think about something online where we can fight andflock together.

Vermin

P.s. Deathscythe is right its his opinion

Unfortunately, some people had nothing better use for their spare time but to use your last thread to flame at each other so that TC (one of the moderators) had no choice but to do his job and close the Thread...

Now for the subject of this Thread: Well, it sure would be great if a project like that would become reality, but I fear that most people (including myself) just don't have enough "spare time" AND "knowledge about game development" to participate...

Perhaps you should try to open a thread in the "fan projects" section as well to find help.

Jochen

Thanks for replying...i have placed my old thread in the Fan Projects Section as well....but i may not continue delveloping my ideas...

Vermin

Originally posted by Jochen
Unfortunately, some people had nothing better use for their spare time but to use your last thread to flame at each other so that TC (one of the moderators) had no choice but to do his job and close the Thread...
If we'd used all that spare time for creating fan projects, we'd have the greatest game ever in our hands right now!
Seriously though, Vermin, while your idea sounds great, it's just plain impossible. No matter how easy to modify the Q3 engine might be, it's still a lot of work. And you ain't gonna set up what you plan with a level editor. Besides that, there's the matter of designing it. I design websites. Setting up any single site from the ground takes a few hundred hours easily. And designing a website is easy compared to what you want to do.
A project such as this is likely even beyond the scope of most companies, and they've got professionals to show for it. Just getting the infrastructure set up and maintained would take a company the size of EA or Sierra.
But I do agree it's nice to dream :D

Yeah, Vermin, the idea is interesting and all, but there's a few problems:
  • You haven't explained to us, really, what it is you want from us. It's all well and good that you posted the idea, but to what end?
  • Assuming this ever gets started, what do you bring to the table? Are you a skilled programmer? And artist? Would you be the one providing all the infrastructure for this wonderous persistent world?
  • How is that wonderous world to be financed? Surely you can't charge players a fee.
The reason most WC projects wind up either either sucking and never seeing the light of day, or just never seeing the light of day, is because they all begin with some random dreamer, who has this grandiose idea. He brings no skills to the table, only his "plans." He wants to "lead" a "team" but can never find anyone to actually be part of it, and he always aims too high. If a multi-billion dollar megacorp like EA won't produce a WC online game, how in the hell will anybody else pull it off? The answer: they won't.

Ideas are fine, and some are even cool, but while they're all great to imagine, they're also wishful thinking.

wc on-line

In a way it has already been done!
remember wcZone? that was a little wc on-line universe.
altought it wasn't massive :)

Well originally it was a question, would you like to see this, then i saw Unreal Tournaments USPACE mod which made me think that this is perfectly possible...

you have to consider other game engines like RED FACTION and TRIBES 2 which already have vechicle support and look good so this would also make it easier to build, i fully understand about design i make webpages for people and it does take a long time to design and implement, but basically the design work is done its just not on paper :D, i am a skilled artist and i have worked as a texture artist on some free stuff but i am very bad at programming (only VB) but i dont have to do this (i can't) as their are MOD makers in other communities which (if asked very nicely) can help. to make it easier for them the mod could be released as episodes...so the mod guys and downloads dont suffer too much.

i didnt think about fees, which are bad :( but this would only pay the provider for use of the servers so i dont thinkj it would be too much (and why not other games you have to pay to play)

i just wanted your opinions on the topic and maybe some ideas if you were interested. it would be massive in terms of size...so i am debating it now

Glad i got your interest tho

Vermin

You may also want to charge people $1,000,000 each so you can afford the settlement with EA. <G>

Yeah, Kris does have a point. :)

But the idea would be really nice, if someone could find the way to actually pull it off. Without the power of the before said companies though, you would be pretty hard pressed. After all, look at Microsoft and Digital Anvil, they just finally got around to announcing a tenative release date (not year, date. :) )for Freelancer, which has been on the work for like 5 years.

Originally posted by Skyfire
After all, look at Microsoft and Digital Anvil, they just finally got around to announcing a tenative release date (not year, date. :) )for Freelancer, which has been on the work for like 5 years.
Well that's mostly because Digital Anvil sucks, but yeah, you do have a point.

exactly

Yes that's excatly what I want to see. However companies wont do this because it would be a great risk and it would be too realistic. So far Jumpgate is the only online fps game out there...however it's a space trader game. I like futuristic space combat games and it wouldnt matter that much if it would be using this Wing Commander universe or not but the elements such as space/atmospheric/land/sea battles are all combined.:D

Cosmic Rift/Infantry

The Cosmic Rift/Infantry Engine, the successor to the Subspace/Continum engine would work okay for the 'walk around the ship and fight' thing. It wouldn't take too much modification, but too bad the engine is being held by Sony's the station.

Infantryzone
Cosmic Rift

Re: exactly

Originally posted by Proteus
So far Jumpgate is the only online fps game out there...
Actually, it's not. It's a Space Sim, not an FPS. An example of an MMOFPS would be Planetside.

Planetside!

MMOFPS would be Planetside

Go planetside! Planetside is probably going to be my next big addiction. Now, we could do something like WWII online for WC, that is... if WWII online actually worked.

Originally posted by Vermin
i am a skilled artist and i have worked as a texture artist on some free stuff Vermin [/B]

Why not contribute your artistic skills to an existing project? I'm looking for someone to create better weapons models for Flight Commander, and I'm sure Vega Strike could always use an extra artist as well.

I am helping with some vega strike stuff :) but my time is gonna be lessened in the new year cause i have college exams :s

i'll see what comes about in the new year Merry X-mas and a happy new year to all

Vermin

Back