WC on a laptop

steampunk

Spaceman
Anybody ever played WC or any other game for that matter on a laptop? Thinking of getting a laptop but I'm a little worried where I'd stick my joystick in ...

i have...but i play on keyboard

there are a couple of holes at the back of the laptop for like keyboard, mouse, printer etc so i would suppose a joystick would go...just check b4 u buy it tho

I know we there are ports for a keyboard, mouse and a printer. But I've never seen a port for a joystick. And there's the matter of 3D acceleration. What kind of graphics cards do laptops ship with nowadays and how's the performance?

From what I've seen in the stores, they have decent graphics cards and very decent processors. The ones that do have decent equipment, though, cost quite a bit more than normal computers...
Anyway, the best thing for you to do would be to go visit a computer store and question them. If they don't answer, disintegr... err, ask again.

I've played WCP on a laptop (Pentium II MMX 233MHz, no 3D acceleration or joystick) & it was pretty good. Good frame rate, graphics, etc. The only problem I had was having 1 hand on the arrow keys and juggling the other from tab to space bar to whatever other function key. A joystick allows you to fly and fight with only 1 hand, which makes managing the ship's other systems easier than with keyboard. But still an enjoyable ride.

I've always played on a keyboard so I'm used to it, and I rarely need to move my hands from the position I've developed.

But can anyone tell me the difference between D3D and 3Dfx? The way I see it, at least with the cheap card I have, 3Dfx adds the fogging effect plus everything else is generally nicer and smoother. eg, ships are coloured pale orangey in systems where the nebula is green, for some reason.

I think you mean to say between D3D and Glide. D3D is a "standard" graphics API (application programmers interface) developed by Microsoft. Glide is an API developed by 3DFX. Before D3D, game developers had to worry about which graphics cards gamers had so that they could make their games would support them. Enter D3D, developers can make their games use the 'standard' API. Of course, graphic card manufacturers still have their own APIs ... and games still support proprietry APIs like Glide. In the case of Glide, using it instead of D3D makes your games look better.

Another 'standard' API is the famous OpenGL from Silicon Graphics ...

I have a laptop I bought 3 months ago for university, it`s pretty good, and it cost me "only" 2,000 bucks. :)

Regarding graphics, I don`t think there`s anything better than an ATI Rage 8MB card for laptops. I looked for something better, but it would seem no company wants to invest in a good PCMCIA video card, not to mention that people who use laptops, don`t usually use them for games or graphics.

As for Joysticks, you could go for a USB joystick, since I`ve never seen a laptop with a joystick connection anywhere around.

I don't get it... why is it that when people talk about playing without a joystick, they always talk about using the keyboard. Surely I'm not the only one who uses a mouse...?

On some laptops, you have that touchpoint mouse, the eraser-head kind, and it works fairly well.

There IS a PCMCIA card gameport from CH Products, but I haven't seen one for a while. They retailed for about $120 Canadian.
Or you could just spring for a new USB stick, like Logitech's Digital Extreme, which is what I have. Excellent stick.

As for video, Dell has the GeForce 2Go 32mb on some of their new models. That's an awesome chipset for gaming.

The Mouse

Quanto,

I am a avid user of the mouse when gaming since I can't grip a joystick too well with my arthiritis. On my laptop I have a mouse hookup so I can play when I am traveling.
WC is a great stress reliever:)

MNelson

Originally posted by Quarto
From what I've seen in the stores, they have decent graphics cards and very decent processors
I even heard that Nvidia is working on GeForce cards for laptops... though Prophecy and SO may have some problems with those cards, it's still pretty sweet to have that much power in a laptop.:)

Originally posted by Quarto
I don't get it... why is it that when people talk about playing without a joystick, they always talk about using the keyboard. Surely I'm not the only one who uses a mouse...?

I guess nobody is as good as you, Quarto. ;)

Quarto's just odd.

Remember, if you use a USB stick you won't be able to use it in DOS mode. (therefore, no Privateer or Armada)

TC

Maarak, when did the the GeForce2Go start appearing in laptops? Which other companies use it? Last I heard it was going to be released Q1 2001 and all the models I've been looking through only have the ATI card ...

i gots a laptop...

i have a laptop, which i have to use to play armada cause i cant get the bloody thing to run under windows 95/98/me... i end up doing quick battles, the auto fight option, cause i dont like the keyboard or mouse. IF ORIGIN WOULD RE-RELEASE FOR ARMADA ON A NEWER OS!!! but nooo... they're not good enough and we arn't devoted enough to get the damn thing... :)

(no offence to origin is intended and i love them very much, would be nice though)

cadet..

You're an idiot if you think it has anything to do with devotion. It's not worth changing an old game, where none of the original developers still work at the company, with crappy graphics for today and limited multiplayer. It wasn't even a huge sale when it was new. What the fuck do you think the sales would be now?

If you can get it working on your laptop, make a bootdisk with the same config files (change the drivers to the correct ones) for your Windows box.

TC

Ah, I think some people have done good jobs extracting models from Armada for use in Vision. Haven't they?

Back