WC Military Inaccuracies

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Originally posted by di5tortion
I'm not talking about WC3, im talking WC4, when all of them had enough time to worry about their dress blues.

I thought their uniforms looked fine...What was wrong with them?

And, wait a second...what do Confed enlisted grades look like?!

We've never seen 'em...i'd wager to say they look just like everyone else....the Space Force and Navy commissioned officers wear the same uniforms aside from black and white piping respectivelly. What I think are Marines wear a beige uniform with black piping in the same style as the other's. Hell, Paladin wears a white uniform with black piping that looks just like all the other ones...Hell the Black Lance even wears the same type of uniform, except it's all black...

They probably just have a different rank insignia...
 

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
The shipboard uniforms, to the best of my understanding, are not dress uniforms. They are more similar to BDUs or real world naval shipboard uniforms, which are not as cut and crisp as the uniforms used in the games. I think the only time a Confed Dress Uniform was shown was in WC2. I'm pretty sure they do wear Tshirts underneath their blue uniforms.(I seem to remember a scene in WC4 where Maniac had his uniform open and you could see the ship's name on a Tshirt underneath the uniform jacket. Then again I could be wrong!)
The major difference between WC uniforms falls into the difference between a line officer( shipboard officers) and pilot uniforms. Line officers have a pale blue color and their last name on on their nametag, in addition to white piping.
Pilots have a darker blue uniform, their callsign, and black piping. Of course in WC3, and for Blair throughout the rest of the series, the pilots had their last names on their nametags.
Anyway that's what I've gathered from the books, games, and strat guides and it's all open to debate. That's just my take
 

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Originally posted by Shaggy
The shipboard uniforms, to the best of my understanding, are not dress uniforms. They are more similar to BDUs or real world naval shipboard uniforms, which are not as cut and crisp as the uniforms used in the games. I think the only time a Confed Dress Uniform was shown was in WC2.

Yeah...to everything...the uniforms they wear I don't beleive are *dress* uniforms, but simply "duty" uniforms.

WCATV shows us that both the WC4 and WC3 style uniforms were in use during WC1. I would generally think that the WC4 style uniforms are the more formal duty uniforms while the WC3 style uniform are more relaxed uniforms. I don't know what the terms for it are, but the way I think of it is the WC2-stlye dress uniforms are the *dress* uniforms. The WC4-style uniforms are the *full* uniforms (such as in real world militaries with the jackets and such), and the WC3-style uniforms are the BDU type uniforms. The WC2 uniforms look just like WC3 uniforms, and Halcyon's uniform looks enough like one of those to work. The only the ones that don't really fit were the brown pilot uniforms from WC1.

I'm pretty sure they do wear Tshirts underneath their blue uniforms.(I seem to remember a scene in WC4 where Maniac had his uniform open and you could see the ship's name on a Tshirt underneath the uniform jacket. Then again I could be wrong!)

They do. Actually, i'm pretty sure Eisen was just wearing a black T-shirt under his when he was in quarters.
 

Knitewing

Spaceman
Originally posted by Ladiesman^


And, wait a second...what do Confed enlisted grades look like?!
We've never seen 'em...i'd wager to say they look just like everyone else....the Space Force and Navy commissioned officers wear the same uniforms aside from black and white piping respectivelly. What I think are Marines wear a beige uniform with black piping in the same style as the other's. Hell, Paladin wears a white uniform with black piping that looks just like all the other ones...Hell the Black Lance even wears the same type of uniform, except it's all black...

They probably just have a different rank insignia...

Actually Flint and Sparks were Chiefs which is a senior enlisted rank.
 
I doubt dress uniforms were high up on the list of things that were needed for the making of the game. I imagined the game designers weren't overly concerned with nice crisp dress uniforms since we rarely see them in use. Besides once the conflict escalated no one had time to worry about dress uniforms, especially those aboard the Intrepid.

They do. Actually, i'm pretty sure Eisen was just wearing a black T-shirt under his when he was in quarters

Actually they wear a black turtle neck under the uniform. We see Capt Eisen wearing one whenever Blair goes into Eisen's office/quarters.
 

di5tortion

Spaceman
See the uniform that Blair reports to Tolwyn in in the beginning of WC4? THAT'S GOT TO BE a dress uniform. I mean, come on, you're going to report to the commander of the SRA and an Admiral in BDUs? (or the equivalent).

I understand that the Navy has over a dozen uniforms. My unit commander went to Annapolis for a while, so he told me. In the Air Force its a lot simpler. Some of you probably know this, but I'll say it anyway.

Mess Dress - Formal as hell, used for really formal stuff, like dinings-in, and such.
Class "A" Blues - The standard service uniform, with the service coat. Common at almost everything.
Class "B" Blues - Same as above, without service coat, although when you're in Class As you're also in Class Bs...forget it. Shirts come in long-sleeve and short-sleeve. Almost always worn with a tie (long-sleeve ALWAYS with a tie), and rarely with an open collar unless its hot.
BDUs - Standard woodland camouflage utility uniform, although there are other patterns. Worn in summer with sleeves up, all other times sleeves down.
Flight suit - A flight suit. Has a ton of pockets. Made of NOMEX(R) so it won't burn.

There are a few accessories and stuff for the blues, like trench coats, outerwear jackets, service caps, flight caps, etc., and a ton of accessories for BDU's (btw, they come winter and summer weight).

If anyone knows all the Navy uniforms, please post them with some short descriptions or whatever.
 

Col.Dom

Spaceman
Here's my two cents:

On the uniforms- The WC4 uniforms are awesome! If you go back to the days of the US Army Air Corps and Signal Corps, you'd see an uncanny resemblance. In fact, right in my squadron's hangar entrance (which doubles as the orderly room) we have a pic of an old "Turkey Shoot," competition winner. Some captain but his uniform is almost identical as that worn by Blair & Co. Basically, it's okay to have shabby uniforms somtimes.

On the callsigns- as it's been said, there is no limit on syllables. It just so happens a lot end up being two syllables long. Also, as it's been stated, when the pilots go out, they never use their callsigns over the radio. They use pre-assigned callsigns given by Ops for sake of simplicity over the comm. Each flight is given a callsign. So, for instance, Knight Flight consists of Knights 1-4, Rogue Flight consists of Rogues 1-7, blah blah and blah.

On Maniac's nametag saying Maniac- Pilots have several name tags. One embroidered with the squadron symbol with squadron colors with their name, one exactly the same except with their callsign and one plain black-and-green one. Most of the time pilots take off all identifying patches when flying, anyway.

I AM A FIGHTING GAMECOCK!! 19th FIGHTER SQUADRON HOO-RAH!! :D
 

Hoops

Spaceman
Originally posted by Happy
it is not like military uniforms stay the same for 50 years....
It's not like them to keep a fighter around for 100 years, but you're talking about the real military again.
 

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Originally posted by di5tortion
See the uniform that Blair reports to Tolwyn in in the beginning of WC4? THAT'S GOT TO BE a dress uniform. I mean, come on, you're going to report to the commander of the SRA and an Admiral in BDUs? (or the equivalent).

Based on your little list, i'd say the uniforms they were wearing were "Class A"....that actually fits PERFECTLY with what we know of WC uniforms...

The Mess Dress uniforms were the WC2 Tolywn's office uniforms.

The Class A are the WC4 style uniforms

The Class B are (roughly) the WC3 style uniforms. (except Class A and Class B uniforms aren't worn at the same time)

I don't know if the Space Force and Navy have real BDU's or not. I'd wager on no.

There are a few unidentified uniforms though, such as a few weird ones in WCATV (The cadets seemingly have WC4-type uniform with a different pattern of piping, there are 2 different uniforms worn by people on the bridge that don't resemble anything, there are yet more WC4-type with different piping seen in one breif shot in the last episode, there's an orange uniform that Academy instructors apparently wear, and there's a brown short sleeve shirt that security personnel wear)

I consider the WC1 brown pilots tunic to be an "old" Class B uniform for pilots that was being phased out by WC1.

Tolywn also wore a different style uniform in WC3, which I can't really place.

It's not like them to keep a fighter around for 100 years, but you're talking about the real military again.

Actually, the B-52 is expected to be in service until the 2040's....that's around a hundred years....
 

Viper61

Spaceman
Originally posted by Ladiesman^


I consider the WC1 brown pilots tunic to be an "old" Class B uniform for pilots that was being phased out by WC1.

I always considered the WC1 pilot uniforms to be kindof "throwback" or nostalgic uniforms they tried for a while. It would fit right in with the chalkboard kill tally in the rec room. :)

C-ya
 

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Originally posted by Viper61


I always considered the WC1 pilot uniforms to be kindof "throwback" or nostalgic uniforms they tried for a while. It would fit right in with the chalkboard kill tally in the rec room. :)

C-ya

That too...

Either way, they weren't really used after WC1 (and in fact, they don't seem to be widely used even then either...nobody in WCATV wears one...)
 

Col.Dom

Spaceman
Originally posted by Ladiesman^
The Class B are (roughly) the WC3 style uniforms. (except Class A and Class B uniforms aren't worn at the same time)

I always figured the WC3 uniforms were a form of fatigues. Keep in mind that fatigues are not camouflage (those are BDUs). Fatigues were what you wore when not deployed in the field as a "duty uniform."
 

Templar

Spaceman
The uniforms were most likely not on ConFed's high list of concerns during the Kilirathi War, their resources were geared more for ships, guns, and missles (just think of how many of those missles you use during a mission, now think of the time, effort, and cost of each and every one of them!).
 

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Originally posted by Col.Dom


I always figured the WC3 uniforms were a form of fatigues. Keep in mind that fatigues are not camouflage (those are BDUs). Fatigues were what you wore when not deployed in the field as a "duty uniform."

But...why would they be wearing fatigues...they ARE deployed in the field....

I still think the WC3 uniforms should be Confed's rough equivelant to Class B uniforms. I don't think you can or should do a direct comparison between the two though...Confed's military is a combinatation of Earth militaries...600 years in the future...things ARE going to change...
 

Col.Dom

Spaceman
Originally posted by Ladiesman^


But...why would they be wearing fatigues...they ARE deployed in the field....

Ah, ah! They are on a ship! If they were running around on an enemy ship or on a forward-deployed location, then they'd be wearing BDUs. I think the only WC characters to wear BDUs are Dekker and his men (even though it's under all that USCMC armor).

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
I don't think you can or should do a direct comparison between the two though...Confed's military is a combinatation of Earth militaries...600 years in the future...things ARE going to change...

Yep. That too :cool:
 

Penguin

Spaceman
Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Actually, the B-52 is expected to be in service until the 2040's....that's around a hundred years....

AFAIK there are no more plans to build anymore B-52s. The existing B-52H models aren't likely to last four decades of service. More than likely, by that time if the USAF is still using B designated airacraft, they'd probably have B-2[insert improved variant designator] and probably some new design.
 

t.c.cgi

Vice Admiral
Well just because they aren't making the whole plane doesn't mean they can't or won't special order maintenence parts. You think they're going to scrap a big expensive plane because they don't feel like buying a small fuel pump?

And even so the ones they have in the scrap yards are an excellent source of "out of production" parts. They do it with A10's AFAIK.
 
Top