WC Military Inaccuracies

di5tortion

Spaceman
I'll get the ball rolling.

Many pilots' callsigns have more than two syllables. As a general rule of thumb, both in the Navy and Air Force (I would know the latter better), I was pretty sure only one or two syllable callsigns were allowed.

From what I was told, the one or two syllable nature makes it a lot easier to communicate on the radio.

Update:

And the way they were those uniforms is HORRENDOUS. I've seen 15 year old cadets have sharper uniforms than some Confed Admirals. Seriously.

Oh yeah, and what the hell do they wear under those service coats? You know, the blue ones in WC4. The ones that kind of resemble a butchered jarhead (i use that with the utmost respect) uniform.

Repeat after me:

IT´S A GAME,MOVIE, IT´S NOT REAL, I SHALL GO TO THE OUTSIDE DRINK SOME BEER AND GET A CHICK!

They wear t-shirts with the ships name on them under their uniforms.

I'm pretty sure I've seen several-syllable callsigns before -- but it's academic, since ships in WC have different mission-specific callsigns (like 'Thor') that they use during missions.

Yeah it's just a game...don't make it like Star Trek where everything has to be right and all the detail and scientific crap. WC is more like Star Wars where in Star Wars you don't have a coolant leak in the plasma coils or warp core or whatever in Star Trek. In Star Wars you just take it the way it is. Not holding anything against Star Trek (well maybe DS9 and Voyager) just saying that don't make WC like Star Trek. Keep it simple.

Originally posted by Ghost
IT´S A GAME,MOVIE, IT´S NOT REAL, I SHALL GO TO THE OUTSIDE DRINK SOME BEER AND GET A CHICK!

Shit yeah! Lift a pint for me, Ghost!

Plus the material (at least in WC3) was kind of like an astronaut's uniform. It's naturally wrinkly.

And how many callsigns in WC are over two syllables? Vagabond, Paladin and Vaquero are the only ones that come to mind, and they're pretty quick to say. You call also shorten them and still know you're talking to the right person.

I've been scanning Google!Groups for any information on the subject, and as best I can tell from the conversations between groups of F-4 pilots, callsigns are an entirely unofficial deal that are given to pilots by their peers in the same manner as Maniac and Blair earned theirs. No required limit on size...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I've been scanning Google!Groups for any information on the subject, and as best I can tell from the conversations between groups of F-4 pilots, callsigns are an entirely unofficial deal that are given to pilots by their peers in the same manner as Maniac and Blair earned theirs. No required limit on size...

They seem to more official in WC...hell, Maniac actually has "Maniac" on his nametag!

Yes, I know it's not real. Has anyone ever told you about having *fun*? It's not like I post on this board all day. The word is recreation.

Anyway, I was talking about the dress uniforms, not the flightsuits. The flightsuits are allowed to be wrinkly :)

And they sure as hell don't wear T-shirts with dress uniforms, even if the collars are closed.

As for callsigns, you're probably right on that. It's just that a pilot friend of mine told me a few months ago and it just came to mind.

The reason that you don't hear much about "coolant leaks" is that in WC youre a pilot. Now if you were a ship captain or technical staff, that's a different story.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
WC is more like Star Wars where in Star Wars you don't have a coolant leak in the plasma coils or warp core or whatever in Star Trek.

Um... things break in Star Wars... they're just *called* different things...

It is only a game and everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt or two in some cases. Personally with the way the war was going in WC3 I doubt many soldiers really cared what their uniforms looked like, there were more important matters to tend to.

I'm not talking about WC3, im talking WC4, when all of them had enough time to worry about their dress blues.

And, wait a second...what do Confed enlisted grades look like?!

Back