wc IV

Or the Creative Encore DVD kits 2x through 5x. WC4 DVD was never released commercially.

------------------
The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

Hmm, I reckon that'd sell quite a bit if it was released. With DVD becoming more popular, it could be a 'classic' re-release or something, couldn't it?

Wedge009 said:
Hmm, I reckon that'd sell quite a bit if it was released. With DVD becoming more popular, it could be a 'classic' re-release or something, couldn't it?

nope

------------------
Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.

He's right actually. Since most people wouldn't bother buying a game they already own, just because it has better sound and video, it wouldn't sell. And with it's 6 years old graphics it wouldn't attract to much new players either.

Earthworm said:
And with it's 6 years old graphics it wouldn't attract to much new players either.
Ahhh, how time flies...

[This message has been edited by Soma (edited October 22, 2000).]

Just because there's few people that want to buy it, doesn't mean that KS is still popular. And at least KS, was designed for Win, and capable of runing on most curent systems, WC4 DVD is just better FMV and sound quality.

BTW, since WC4 uses the WC3 engine, and WC3 uses the Armada engine, it would be a little more than 5 years, maybe even 6.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 22, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Classics are not usually made because people want them -- in fact, just the opposite. Classics are simply repackaged merchandise that people *didn't* want before. That's why there's lots of Ultima Collection classics and no Wing Commander IVs.

Earthworm said:
Just because there's few people that want to buy it, doesn't mean that KS is still popular. And at least KS, was designed for Win, and capable of runing on most curent systems, WC4 DVD is just better FMV and sound quality.

I don`t see a lot of other games go for 300$ on ebay, so compared to other old games it`s still fairly popular.

As for the flight engine, you`re basically right, but by that definition, you could say it`s as old as Strike Commander`s flight engine which came out in `92 and was worked on for 2 years, which makes it more than 10 years old, actually.
wink2.gif

Mad Hatter said:
I don`t see a lot of other games go for 300$ on ebay, so compared to other old games it`s still fairly popular.
Just because there are few fanatics that are willing to pay $300 or more for a game, doesn't mean that most people would. People that but KS for those prices are either die hard WC fans, or someone who's just collecting rare games. There aren't that many people who would pay $300 for KS. I know I wouldn't.
smile.gif

As for the flight engine, you`re basically right, but by that definition, you could say it`s as old as Strike Commander`s flight engine which came out in `92 and was worked on for 2 years, which makes it more than 10 years old, actually.
wink2.gif
According to LOAF, the Armada engine isn't the SC engine. The SC engine was just used for ground missions.
smile.gif

If WCIV were to be re-released, even with only Prophecy-style flight engine (Look, feel, control, etc.), that alone would skyrocket the price of the game, since it would most likely come on at least 8-10 CD's.

I would buy it if both the flight engine and the movies were made in better quality.

------------------

§

Earthworm said:
Just because there are few fanatics that are willing to pay $300 or more for a game, doesn't mean that most people would. People that but KS for those prices are either die hard WC fans, or someone who's just collecting rare games. There aren't that many people who would pay $300 for KS. I know I wouldn't.
smile.gif

You`re missing the point. People pay 300$ for KS not because they want to. Auctions reach these prices because a lot of people are bidding for it, and simply don`t know how to bid for an item. I am a big WC fan but I will not pay 300$ for it either, plus, most of these auctions are U.S shipping addresses only, and a lot of people can`t participate in them anyway.
Fanatics don`t exist where there aren`t any regular people, because in that case they wouldn`t be fanatics by definition. This means that if there are quite a few fanatics out there willing to pay 300$ for KS, you can imagine how many non fanatics are out there that would gladly buy it for up to 50 bucks.

Maybe 10 times as many. Still not enough to warrant a re-re-release.

------------------
The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

People pay 300 dollars for KS on eBay... but all that means is that there's a pool of 20 people who want 10 copies of KS and are fighting over it. This will not make any money for Origin.

I wasn`t asking for a re-re-re....release (of course, I can always hope). The whole point of this discussion is why not release WC4DVD commercially. I brought up the example of KS, because people are still interested in it even though it`s technology is old.

Back