WC IV: The Price of Freedom novel

Eraser

Spaceman
Recently I bought the WC IV: The Price of Freedom novel (I just finished The Heart of the Tiger novel). Funny thing I noticed about it is that the back cover talks about 'Captain Blair' instead of 'Colonel Blair' :) In the book however, he's naturally addressed as 'Colonel' as it should. Just found that amusing. Is this a general mistake on all prints of the book or do I have some kind of rare edition with this mixup in Blair's rank?

I've attached two scans of my book as proof (front and back).

PS. Something different, however related to WC IV nonetheless. I've played my 6 CD version of WC IV a zillion times probably and still love playing it. However, I've been trying for years to get my hands on the rather rare DVD version of the game. Anyone have an idea if there's any way to get my hands on a copy of it? I'd love to see the DVD quality FMV sequences! So either I'd love to get my hands on the DVD version of the game, or hopefully AD can finish his Price of Freedom DVD movie project so we can all enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Attachments

• WCIV(b).jpg
    WCIV(b).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 203
  • WCIV(f).jpg
    WCIV(f).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 184
Recently I bought the WC IV: The Price of Freedom novel (I just finished The Heart of the Tiger novel). Funny thing I noticed about it is that the back cover talks about 'Captain Blair' instead of 'Colonel Blair' In the book however, he's naturally addressed as 'Colonel' as it should. Just found that amusing. Is this a general mistake on all prints of the book or do I have some kind of rare edition with this mixup in Blair's rank?

I also got the book and it also has the same writing and I dont think it is an error. I think that Blair is within the Navy and therefore holds the rank of Captain which is the equivalent to Colonel in the Space Forces so it may be right about what they mention at the back of the book

Dahan said:
I also got the book and it also has the same writing and I dont think it is an error. I think that Blair is within the Navy and therefore holds the rank of Captain which is the equivalent to Colonel in the Space Forces so it may be right about what they mention at the back of the book
Yeah, I'm sure the marketing guy writing the synopsis decided that clearly, Blair is a Navy officer and should therefore be a Captain.

(no, really, it was just a mistake)

That maybe but in the novel itself they refer him as a Colonel which is surprising that the author does not refer him as a Naval Captain except for the blurb at the back of the book

Blair isn't in the navy, Dahan. Naval aviators in the Wing Commander universe hold Space Forces ranks. So, the back cover of the book contains the error, not the content of the book itself. The back also talks about Blair and his wing, which refers to his Fighter Wing (normally consists of a couple of squadrons), which is exactly what a Colonel's responsibility is... run a ship's fighter wing, whereas a naval Captain runs a ship.

yeap I know that mate, but we know that a Naval Ship Captain is equivalent to the Colonel (Wing Commander onboard the carrier) so there maybe a slight discrepiancies
the author may have though differently at the time, otherwise I am pretty happy with the book generally just with that minor error they made.

To the defense of whoever summarized the novel for the cover description, Blair is *captain* of the Intrepid in WC4.

To the defense of whoever summarized the novel for the cover description, Blair is *captain* of the Intrepid in WC4.

Makes the most sense to me, isn't it proper decorum to address anybody in command of a vessel as captain regardless of rank?

Eraser said:
Funny thing I noticed about it is that the back cover talks about 'Captain Blair' instead of 'Colonel Blair' :)

Oh, if you reallk want to get geek about it, Blair becomes the acting Captain of the Intrepid.

EDIT: I think it was an error that ended up making sense.

there a few wee errors like that that but in the grand scheme aren't very important, i noticed another niggle with the WC4 nove. Blairs inconsistent preference of fighter from the wc3 novel and wc4 (I can't give you exact quotes because all my books are stored away the now).

In wc3 when Blair is assigned to the victory he states his preference for the thunderbolt over the arrow and hellcat but in wc4 he is quite displeased when circumstances forced him to fly one and is even pretty rusty when handling it during takeoffand landing.

I dont think it is really a concern about Blair being a Captain or Colonel at the end he was the senior commanding officer. He was order to take Command of the Intrepid after Eisen left for Earth

Bandit LOAF said:

Just like Captain Bligh (who held the rank of Lieutenant) was Captain of the Bounty. Before the mutiny, that is.:D

Just like Captain Cain (who held the rank of Commodore) was Captain of the Gettysburg. Before the mutiny, that is. :D

Or Captain Ralgha nar Hhallas, a Rear Admiral, was Captain of the Ras Nik'hra. Before and after the mutiny :D

Back