WC Gratha under 500 Polies WIP

Dude(tte)! Awesome! These are really well done! I've particularly happy to see all the high-detail work you've put in on these...really well done. That Frathi is especially impressive.

recent render with asteroids
fralgrath.jpg
These are all great, but I just have one question about this picture. Would the asteroid really cast such a sharp shadow across the Gratha? It's not clear how close the local star (or whatever the light source happens to be), but I'm thinking a diffuse shadow would add a touch to the realism factor.

Just a bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism. I am aware that lighting and shadows add a significant level of complexity to renders.

What program did you use to create the model?
Since you saved it in cob I guess Truespace?

COB ?

nope not true space. It's SoftImage XSI 5.0 :D

Earlier versions of the Gratha were created in sketchup, when it allowed you to export... now you have to pay for the full Google version to do exports in Sketchup :(

From the exported file I went in to blender and then from blender to XSI.

Most recent two models were done in XSI.

These are all great, but I just have one question about this picture. Would the asteroid really cast such a sharp shadow across the Gratha? It's not clear how close the local star (or whatever the light source happens to be), but I'm thinking a diffuse shadow would add a touch to the realism factor.

Just a bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism. I am aware that lighting and shadows add a significant level of complexity to renders.

I really don't know what the shadow is supposed to look like :( but the Fralthi was quite large, and I didn't really resize the star textured sphere it was in so room was tight between the Gratha and the light source, maybe nexxt time I will try to use a infinite light instead of the point lights.

Ah XSI...nice progam.
As for the shadows. I would stay with the more sharp shadow in general space scenes and maybe more diffuse ones in tight asteroid belts or close to a planet.
Dust and stuff in the belt might soften up the shadow or better said the light. In space with nothing between I guess shadows would have more or less sharp edges.
If you want it to be more appealing to the eye use a softshadow ^_^

You said that you forgot your old user name.. Could it be Kilrathiprincess or something of that kind, mayhap?

If it's a mistake i'm sorry, but the artwork(and style) looks like something that that person posted a few months ago...

other than that, great work...
You really should make coop with Howard on the pioneer project :D

I was about to say that... You were here before as Kilrathiprincess, I remember your work (Ihave some of the pics saved in my pc)

Nice work... How long ago have you been working on this?

While I like the Gratha design in the way it looks like the ship from the game in almost exact detail, but in 3D -- It doesn't quite have the agressive fanged-look that Kilrathi ships are supposed to have. That's my gripe about the Salthi as well.

The Krant and Jalthi are some slick looking ships. I like the Dralthi as well.

V. Kent

Not necessarily, the Krant and Jalthi had a nice look about them, Wedge009

For most purposes, I like the WC3 and WC4 Kilrathi designs better with their fanged-shaped vessels and such (although to be honest, I'm not fond of the asymmetry in WC3 Kilrathi designs)

Victoria Kent

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.

I was simply making the statement from a position of believing that the "aggressive fanged-look that Kilrathi ships are supposed to have" came mostly from the in-depth psychological profile of the Kilrathi introduced in WC3. (It would be really nice to have the on-line Victory Streak for reference right now...) The asymmetrical ship designs were also a part of that description.

From a real-world perspective, the sharp, angled looks of the Kilrathi fighters were accentuated by the use of polygons instead of sprites. Consider also that the original WC1 fighters were all hand-drawn (in the sense that there were no 3D models of them ever made before making the sprites, at least to my knowledge).

PS Just call me Wedge. Everyone else does...

From a real-world perspective, the sharp, angled looks of the Kilrathi fighters were accentuated by the use of polygons instead of sprites. Consider also that the original WC1 fighters were all hand-drawn (in the sense that there were no 3D models of them ever made before making the sprites, at least to my knowledge).
No, there were 3d models for WC1 as well, it's just that they no longer exist.

Just stumbled upon this thread.

0_0 *applaudes*

My favorite pictures are the Fralthi pics and the cockpits, but they're all amazing. :)

Back