WC End Run

It's certainly the best that I've read, though I haven't gotten to all of them yet. And $25 is a pretty good price compared to some I see on eBay. $50 and up is quite common.

I got my copy from e-bay few months ago... I payed around $20 for it (although I also got HOTT and FA along with it).

$tormin calm down you're going to explode if keep this up, and we don't want to cleam up your mess.

Oh I am just happy, I got it in German...but it is also rar made in Germany. I got it at an auction..also at amazon, but the former owner just set it under water :(. But it is still readable...and I am happy I got it. By the way, what I ever wanted to ask: Are the books also terminated, or will there come a new one? (just 'cause the computer game is terminated, it needn't mean, there will come no book any more, or? Even about P has never been written a book).

I think they'll keep on writing, Pilgrim Thruth was also released after the movie. But maybe that's a bad example. You can write novels about wc all the time, just come up with a few carracters and ship names and your half way there...

Yeah, but I didn't think of the Internet, I mostly thought of the 'official Origin-licensed' books, which you can buy. Pilgrim truth isn't avaiable here in Germany (I think if I would have seen it).

A friend of mine gave me a copy of End Run like almost six years ago. It was the first one that I had read of the Wing Commander books. And as people have said, I think that it is the best one. It was probably one of the major reasons that I got into reading and writing WC fiction as much as I am. I just wish that it was in better condition when I got it.

The novels are essentially cancelled -- False Colors fullfilled Baen's publishing package, and HarperCollins refused to publish Pilgrim Truth.

Bill Forstchen has expressed interest in writing Wing Commander novels again, but it's doubtful that Baen would go for the license again... Andrew Keith planned to write another pair of novels to follow False Colors -- but then he died.

(My personal hope is that they'll get a German company to do new Wing Commander novels in Germany, since they still sell well there).

I own End Run in German ( I purchased it normally in a book store for ten marks, guess this time I was quick enough) but I have to admit I think it is the weakest of all WC novels. First I do not like the character "Bear" and second, I do not know, it is too perfect for the Terrans. that is probably the point, my beloved Kilrathi get seriously bashed. That is also the reason why I do not fancy "Fleet Action". My favourites are "Freedom Flight" (because I took part more or less in SM2) and "Action Stations". The "Price of Freedom" is also guite entertaining.
But these are just my personal opinions...

The ranks of the WC books at Amazon aren't so good here in Germany, Bandit. Compared to some other books they are, but they aren't as popular as some other SF novels. I also hope, there will come other books, but I now have my doubts. I don't know for example, why they chancelled the German translation of False Colors and why Pilgrim Truth never came up here in Germany. This stands in contrast to your opinion, that the WC books sell well here, but I really believe there are more WC fans here in Germany than in some other countries, so we have a chance...

Pulp Sci Fi will never sell well compared to other books -- but Wing Commander in Germany sells well enough to justify the cost of translating it.

Are you sure that False Colors has been cancelled? Last I heard, they were going to translate it into German.

(Pilgrim Truth was never published *anywhere*)

I just don't know, but I think so...I never heard about a german translation. I mean: I never heard, they ever wanted to make it. But this shows they still work on it and didn't forget us complete AND they are still interested to make money with it (maybe will still ever be sth. moving....I am hopeful:)! And maybe I won't have to read it in English! This would be worth a lot for me, because it would be much easilier.

Soooo, what are you guy`s favorite WC book?
I liked "End Run" very much, but I liked "The Price of Freedom" better, and I think it`s safe to say that I liked "False Colors" the best, aside from the "Admiral Richards" syndrom. ;)

I mostly liked Freedom Flight. But I still have to read 5-7 (haven't got the money to buy them at the moment).

Back