WC Comic: Halcyon's Callsign

Has anyone taken the callsign "Reverend?" Almost bishop, but not the same. I like the name chess too, from the guys above. Has a ring to it. Or Chupathingy. Has he had any embarrasing moments from the Academy that we could draw on? Maybe some jealous rivals that named him something clever and it stuck? I don't know. "Silver", maybe for the "silver spoon" upbringing.

"Booker" or "Worm" (Bookworm) - for always doing things by the book?

"Narrow" - for staying inside the lines, walking the straight & narrow?

*shrugs* Just a few thoughts...I'll try to keep thinking...

- FireFalcon ~};^

Maybe it could be something like Kid, Junior, or Newbie. Especially if it could be given to him by a more senior pilot who thinks he's just a little punk since he's straight out of the Academy without any real combat time.

it's hard to come up with a callsign when knowing so little about the char... but of some strange reason I think "Preacher" might fit him.

NilsP said:
it's hard to come up with a callsign when knowing so little about the char... but of some strange reason I think "Preacher" might fit him.
You certainly have a point there. Maybe he should have a more generic name at the start, and then recieve a new one after he's had some experience, a story idea for the first issue perhaps? Besides, in real life you won't get a call sign from the Academy. It would develop like that one guy, what was if Fuel Mup. That name came after a lot of flight times and mid-air refuelings :p .

Hmm...
the main character.

Trying to outfly his own father's shadows (yep, juz like some pilots we've known)...
He's by the book, good flying skills... beginning to make his own name on his life.

How about...

Tracer?

I like the suggestions of Kingfisher or Boots. How about... Gambit? A Maverick-esque ironic callsign. Whatevah.

I would caution against the Maverick style callsigns. We already have one charecter named suicide, who does that sound like? So, I would advise something a little more unique perhaps. Then again, Gambit does sound pretty nice...

Hi im new to the CIC id like to make the suggestion HAWKEYE for a callsign as hawks are very presice and as i work in the RAF and i know a pilot with the callsign :) :) :)

how about Cutlass, like the sword carried by the high ranking military guys.....since his dad was the captain of the Tiger's Claw.

How about some name he chose as a memorial to his dad and the Claw (or that other pilots used to tease him about being a worthless brat of a famous soldier)?

There's always "Claws" itself.... but maybe another sort of memorial name would be better. Was the original Halcyon a pilot once? What was his call sign? Maybe we could do a play off of that.

There's always "Claws" itself.... but maybe another sort of memorial name would be better. Was the original Halcyon a pilot once? What was his call sign? Maybe we could do a play off of that.

In regards to the Halcyon-as-father suggestions. Remember that if this comic is set in 2654, Halcyon is still alive and is only a Colonel onboard the Tiger's Claw. He has a fairly famous position, Wing Commander on a famous ship, but he's certainly not a well known space hero.

To have a twenty-three or so year old son, Peter Halcyon would have been an adult (and in the military) for twenty to thirty years... consider that during the war, Blair made Colonel in *three* years -- so Colonel Halcyon probably isn't the best-of-the-best, respected by all the armed forces sort of character some people are reacting to here.

*We* know that Halcyon will eventually make general officer (for a few days, anyway) -- but to characters in 2654 he's just another one of hundreds of thousands of Colonels.

how about Cutlass, like the sword carried by the high ranking military guys.....since his dad was the captain of the Tiger's Claw.

Halcyon only served as Captain of the Tiger's Claw for a brief period in 2655, when the actual captain was incapacitated and it fell to him because he was second in the chain of command. That's also something that's "yet to happen", too -- so there's no existing respect for the time a year or so from now that his dad will take command of a famous carrier and lead it into harms way during Operation Thor's Hammer.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of the original religious-themed ones sounds good--remember, this isn't just some nameless pilot out in the middle of the war, he's going to be the main character of the strip, and he should have some sort of callsign that sounds like it. With that in mind, I think that "Deacon" sounds bad-ass, but "Reverend" is probably a more likely 'real' nickname; as in, back at the Academy, he was always the one to have the right answer, or he reminded others to "do the right thing" (or something similar), so he might have been considered 'preachy' by some of the smartasses in his class. Also, while "Reverend" retains the authority and respectability, it can also be meant in a more light-hearted teasing manner, which, as has already been stated, is usually how one gets one's callsign anyways.

How about Steel (if it hasn't been used); straight, narrow, tough, yet durable.

What is going to be done about the time period thing anyway--maybe make Col. Halycon his uncle.

To cross out a few suggestions. I'll look through a bit more closely after finals are done -- these are the ones that stuck out.

* "Falcon" - Confed pilot from WCP. Chris "Falcon" Cummings.
* "Bookworm" - Confed pilot from WCP. Milford "Bookworm" Wattley.
* "Steel" - Confed pilot from WCIV, Marc "Steel" Baird. Confed pilot from WCIV PSX, Brian "Steel" Wacchaus. Confed pilot from WCP, Alton "Steel" Listich.
* "Tiger" - one of the pilots killed in The Price of Freedom. First name "Marlena".
* "Dragon" - Noted hero of the Vega Campaign, from the Academy manual.
* "Stalker" - Kilrathi ace, Marjakh nar Kur'u'tak.
* "Eagle" - Confed pilot from the TCS Tarawa, End Run.

I like "Reverend" more and more. Maybe "Padre" if you want to make a double meaning situation.

Or has "Kombat Wombat" already filtered into this thread from the "Silliest Callsigns." Not my idea, but a clear winner, put up your ballots folks.

Some suggestions:

Harmonthep (Dune)

Hyperion (N/A)

Jethro (Total Annihilation)

Shaman (N/A)

Kindjal (Dune)

Jackal (N/A)

Seraphim (N/A)

Back