WC:CD Vanguard Progress..(Vision Shots)

Well, I can try to explain my thinking in all this.

I would say that the strongest basis upon which I judge posters is intent... and that content is a moderately close second. It's the sometimes difficult-to-measure difference between complaining about a Wing Commander game because you didn't like it and complaining about it because you want attention.

The second part is the content -- that's the difference between making an intelligent argument as to why Wing Commander III is a terrible game and just telling everyone that it 'sucks.' Now, I'll say right out that you're wrong and I'm going to argue back at you... but you deserve respect and certainly won't be banned for having that opinion.

At the same time, you won't be judged negatively for *not* knowing something. We can't all afford obscure ports or to buy consoles to play one game... and many if not most of us don't want to in the first place. Reading tie-in books or manuals or hint books or old advertising sheets may not be your cup of tea. In short, I'm not going to compare you to myself. In any other setting I'm a huge idiot for buying a PSP to play EA Replay and nothing else, and I would like for people to recognize that I know that.

What this fellow did, though, was engage in something terrible, something I'd consider a cardinal sin -- willful ignorance. I wouldn't insist that he buy an Xbox and play Arena... but I would ask, no demand, that he be smart enough not to judge without that experience.

His actual complaint is an awful labyrinth of stupid, exactly the thing I want to belive we're all better than. He wants to know the story from the free manual but will not read it himself because he doesn't like the game he's never played (and, taking that one step further into infinity: he doesn't like the game because it doesn't have a story, which is presented in the manual which he wants to read the story from but will not read himself because he doesn't like the game he's never played because it doesn't have a story which is...)

Now, I've been around the internet block a few times. I've seen all sorts of communities... and I think ours is one of the best *because* of the expectations given above. So very many groups are simply unpleasant teenagers screaming catchphrases and nigh-illegible curses at the wall... and we're not. I'd rather have a group of a hundred intelligent fans than sixty-zillion average ones.

(And I don't consider that necessarily an exclusionary philosophy -- everyone should know that I'll work my hump off turning any individual person into part of the group -- if they're willing to let that happen.)

Well here's the Broadsword that we saw above in the Vision engine..... Hardpoints and some stripes. Even tho they came out a lil.....well.. wierd....I think it's because of the yellow. I'll try some other color I guess.

SH02.jpg

I dunno...I really like those stripes. They scream rebellion to me. They conjure up images of a particularly cocky bomber group that believes they can take on anything, anytime, anywhere - They're not afraid to call attention to themselves in a fight with that yellow!

It's looking great so far.

That actually does make sense...Yellow is an attracting type color....Maybe that will go good then. I never thought of it like that so I guess that's why It looked a lil wierd. Oh to the post above.. Should I be banned? I never played Arena it Looks cool tho and I'd love to play it but I haven't had money to buy either xbox or ps3 or ps2 or any consoles. And what's wierd is you'd think I would have those things, because I have a daughter, but then on the other hand she's only 8 months old ~~~ so it would be awhile til she gets to play any video game type stuff, assuming she would even want to but I guess I might have to get an xbox anyways... I have another little one on the way :)

Well here's the Broadsword that we saw above in the Vision engine..... Hardpoints and some stripes. Even tho they came out a lil.....well.. wierd....I think it's because of the yellow. I'll try some other color I guess.

SH02.jpg

Hey, maybe you could have the stripes separated by a thin black line... Wouldn't it give pattern a nice extra detail?

I dunno...I really like those stripes. They scream rebellion to me. They conjure up images of a particularly cocky bomber group that believes they can take on anything, anytime, anywhere - They're not afraid to call attention to themselves in a fight with that yellow!

Bomber pilot: "C'mon, bugs, come to papa. You think I'm carrying torpedoes? Nope. All I've got are Pilums. Lots and lots of Pilums. Just a little bit closer..."

Oh another new screenshot this time of a slightly different texture but You'll see the difference between really ugly dirty dog versus, just ugly dog less dirty :).

This is the Blade shape that I'm using.

Rapierupdate1.jpg

Alright...Well It's been some time since I've updated this model... This one was much tougher to do changes on than any other model I've worked on.... (The Poly Count "1200") It's at 1198 :) but anyways here are the before shots that you see in the last vision engine shot I made.

Attachments

• OldBlade01.jpg
    OldBlade01.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 67
  • OldBlade02.jpg
    OldBlade02.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 56
  • OldBlade03.jpg
    OldBlade03.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
And here's the After... Tell me what you think should I change anything? or Any Requests? Hopefully you will see the Drastic Changes :)

Attachments

• Blade01.jpg
    Blade01.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Blade02.jpg
    Blade02.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Blade03.jpg
    Blade03.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 75
Jason

I think its fantastic job, simply loved the Rapier, I hope one day to make paper models of their models. At 1 / 200 would be a big fighter hehehehehe!:D

Back