WC:CD Vanguard Progress..(Vision Shots)

That's prety stupid.

You're interested in finding answers that are provided in Star Soldier, but you won't read it because you aren't interested in a particular Wing Commander game. So what you do instead is post those questions to a Wing Commander forum and expect people to copy and paste the explanations from Star Soldier to here instead of telling you to go read it. Huh?

Yea Cockpit is a lil out of whack....Fins are wrong size...... but hey "Progression" not "Regression" :) Believe me I take all facts, opinions, and especially any critiques that people can give me. Improvements are always a good thing :D

Well that's good to know. It already looks great so I can't wait till you get the scaling right.

Durandal: I realise that you are right, but it just doesn't "feel" right. You see what I mean? However, I'll give it a try.

Durandal: I realise that you are right, but it just doesn't "feel" right. You see what I mean? However, I'll give it a try.

What? Feel right? Because it's not like the other titles? That's a poor excuse. Arena is not like the other games but that doesn't mean it's not a fun game in its own right.

You can tell that the developers were wingnuts and extremely attentive to detail. They produced the best product they could within the limitations that were set for them.

I don't understand why you would need coaxing into reading S*S. It's a great piece of WC lore that fills in so many blanks we've all wanted to know for years, as well as opening a few more for our collective minds to break down.

Also it's Dundradal. Common mistake.

Yes. You don't need to buy or even play Arena to be able to read Star*Soldier. Just download it from our website and read it!

Yeah, seriously - go and read Star*Soldier. It doesn't matter whether you have an Xbox or are interested in playing Arena at all - if you're a WC fan, Star*Soldier is a great read. They really went back to the style of the old WC manuals, back to the style of an age where instruction manuals weren't just an explanation of gameplay controls, but an immersive part of the game and the story itself. It's filled with in-jokes, continuity fixes, history, all the good stuff that gives the imagination more WC material to play with. And Star*Soldier has an *incredible* amount of content - more than Claw Marks and Victory Streak combined.

Read it. You'll like it! :D Even if you don't like Arena, you'll like it.

No, even you don't see what you mean. You've heard that people on the internet are angry about stupid crap and you want to be part of the rah rah rah we hate everything club. Not reading the fantastic free manual because you generic pre-hate the game is about as dumb as you can get.

Wrong, LOAF! I've got games people shot in the back, yet I happen to like some of them. Actually, one of the most common examples is EPIC, that was to be a WC1 competitor. The players qualified it as crap, yet I liked it.

I'm not saying arena is not a good game. i think that's pretty conceited. I'm simply saying I don't like it, as (to me) it is (to me) to much of a departure (to me) compared to the rest of the WC franchise (to me: how did you guess?). However this remains only my point of view and I won't be so bold in saying therefore that arena is not a good game, Simply it doesn't appeal to me.

However you guys convinced me to take a peek in starsoldier. It's time to see what became of the nephilim.

I'm simply saying I don't like it, as (to me) it is (to me) to much of a departure (to me) compared to the rest of the WC franchise (to me: how did you guess?).

I'm kind of surprised - I've never met anyone who's actually played the game who hates it. Post your gamertag -- we can team up for a cap ship battle and you can explain to me what's wrong with it.

I didn't say I played arena. Where do you want me to find an Xbox360 when I'm barely paying for my flat in grenoble for my studies? However, I mostly found vids of it on youtube as well as art on the CIC. This is where I learned of several ship variant such as the dralthi 9 rhino or the rapier cavalier. However, I'll say only this one reason I don't like it (you might find it absurd, but to me it's very important). It is not a 3D spacesim like the other wing commanders I still worship.

I guess I've got my opinion and you've got yours, but I don't think I will ever (or could ever anyways) touch arena.

P.S: Something else I forgot to mention that wing arena doesn't have (unless I'm mistaken, that is). Story: I need a nice jucy epic plot with my games, and to this extent, the older wing commanders have more than proven their worth.

I like how the Internet turns a discussion about wonderful fan-made models for a nifty idea of a mod turns into... whatever that was.

Keep up the good work on the mod.

Ouch.

Well, starlord - while I think you're entitled to your opinion, even if it sounds like a simple and stubborn knee-jerk reaction, consider this -

You don't have to like Arena, but trashing it simply for being what it is is a little rude, especially if you've done no investigation. And how would you know there's no epic story if you haven't considered anything Star*Soldier has to say? What the Wing Commander series needs is love. It's a classic, but an old classic, and Arena is the first sign of official life most of us have seen in a long time. Most of us aren't privy to everything LOAF knows - if there's something going on, there's stuff he knows and isn't allowed to tell us. Any sign of life is a good thing - because where there's activity, there's a chance for more to happen. Would you also dismiss a Wing Commander RTS if it came out, just because it's not a flightsim? The better Arena does, the more likely it is that more Wing Commander games might be made. I'll admit that the play style of Arena isn't my thing, but if it can get enough momentum to convince an underwriter to greenlight another Wing Commander project, I'm happy for it.

LOAF, I hope you'll excuse me for saying it, but this seemed a little harsh to me. I know you're tired of people trashing Arena. Well, at least trashing Arena in a mindless way. But you're an insider of the first degree - we don't know what you know, and you said yourself there's a lot you wish you could tell us but can't. We don't all have your perspective, and it's easy to be pessimistic when we don't know what's going on or what's driving the decisions. If there's nothing that we can see, it's hard not to think that there's nothing to see.

Oh, well. back to Arena in a good way - JasonRocZ's mod is drawing inspiration from Arena's backstory, and Arena shows us that the Kilrathi are very much alive and kicking past the Nephilim War - which is a great thing for possibilities. Now it's not just Confed vs. the Nephilim, or the Border Worlds or the Landreich vs. the Nephilim.

LOAF, I hope you'll excuse me for saying it, but this seemed a little harsh to me. I know you're tired of people trashing Arena.

People who have decided to hate Arena for no reason at all when they haven't even played it should be banned for forever... This is a forum for WC fans, after all.

LOAF, I hope you'll excuse me for saying it, but this seemed a little harsh to me. I know you're tired of people trashing Arena. Well, at least trashing Arena in a mindless way. But you're an insider of the first degree - we don't know what you know, and you said yourself there's a lot you wish you could tell us but can't. We don't all have your perspective, and it's easy to be pessimistic when we don't know what's going on or what's driving the decisions. If there's nothing that we can see, it's hard not to think that there's nothing to see.

Now, now, you can't pin *every* banning on me -- if this had been me then there would have been a self-serving quote to go along with it. I'll admit I set up the last trap for the kid, but I was off eating too many cheese fries when this went down.

I do agree with it, though... I think that, quite directly, this was terrible. It's not a matter of having inside information -- I really don't have any, beyond a few winks and nods from old friends. The situation here is unrelated; this juicebox is mouthing off about how terrible a game he *never played* is. I don't know what internet group taught him that was cool, but it's sure as heck grind-you-into-pasteworthy here.

Now, now, you can't pin *every* banning on me -- if this had been me then there would have been a self-serving quote to go along with it. I'll admit I set up the last trap for the kid, but I was off eating too many cheese fries when this went down.

I do agree with it, though... I think that, quite directly, this was terrible. It's not a matter of having inside information -- I really don't have any, beyond a few winks and nods from old friends. The situation here is unrelated; this juicebox is mouthing off about how terrible a game he *never played* is. I don't know what internet group taught him that was cool, but it's sure as heck grind-you-into-pasteworthy here.

*laughs* Duly noted. He's still a WC fan, unreasoned criticism of Arena aside. That's all I'm saying, and as I'm still something of a relative newbie I'm still feeling out what's acceptable around here and what's not. It's not always clear, even when you and the other moderators take a moment to say what's off limits and what's not. (And everyone's human, so I'm not yet convinced that the rules are always applied the same way.) I'm sure the forums have their conventions and sensitive topics, as many do - and reading the posting FAQ doesn't clue one in to *everything*.

but no more from me on this one. I promise.

Back