WC:CD Originals...

JasonRocZ

Vice Admiral
I was thinking yesterday and through a few posts that in many of the mods that I've been playing, Standoff, Unknown Enemy, etc (Which I Love) there hasn't really been too many originals (meaning ships that aren't in the WC Universe) unless I'm missing a few I sit corrected... So I figured I would go ahead and start making a few. So far I've only started on one...Which I plan NOT to use as a Confed fighter, but a non aligned ship (Merc,Merchant,etc...) I haven't really started to do any texturing but you can see some different design ques which I've tried to take from the WC Universe so it doesn't look out of place. Tell me what you guys think. And also I've come up with some possible names but can't really put a finger on which one to use. Let me know what you think of these: Buccaneer, Warhawk, Baltimore, NightHawk, Tornado, Ventura... Keep in mind I plan on using this as a merc, independent, merchant type ship.

Tent1.jpg

Yea I used the Fuselage part of the thunderbolt... Then different engines adding wings that kinda junk so a Thunderbolt Varient of sorts. :) Original yet not ~~~

it looks similar to the Thunderbolt as has been said, so how about 'Lightning'? itd be similar in look and name then.

Alright while fiddling round with some textures, and also 3d exploration a little better here are some better renders... Which show much more detail...Lightning isn't a bad idea either, there's a poll that I started on about 6 different names
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=23169 check out and vote i'd rather get votes and have the name as something instead of me just picking it out.. But I'm only going to have it up for a few days mainly being I'd rather keep working on other models and get this one over with then I know exactly what the fighter is going to be named in the mod. The textures are only really for looks...I still have to change them up quite a bit...but it give you a much better visual. to see all the shapes. Especially since some people run a 1600x1200 desktop. Check out the guns too... I was thinking on arming it with 2 meson and 2 ion. Shapes reflect guns

Tent10.jpg

Tent11.jpg

As always leave comments. As I do take them into account and do make changes accordingly (Time permitting of coarse)

That texture job made me cringe.

It looks like you have a bunch of the original Thunderbolt Textures merged with some new high-tech looking ones.

I would re-do the thunderbolt textures, the other ones are prettier and look alot better.

Hmm Interesting.... Yea the Thunderbolt textures, are only to show. Galaxy hmm...I'll check on going that route. a lil more. Gimme a day or two and I'll get somethin a lil better

Here's the same model...Changed the engines a bit... (There's no afterburner large enough unless you use the wasp booster and that's a bit lucrative. Also got most of the Thunderbolt textures gone except the cockpit. And I think the pylons are what there called and an extra one for the gun mounts. But take a look again and as always comment. I got it in the vision engine last night with the other thunderbolt textures it didn't look half bad but I do want to steer away from the thunderbolt textures.

Tent19.jpg

Tent20.jpg

Much better! It needs more stripping/decals now, but I think that's a much better direction for the texturing to go in.

It has the look/feel of a WCP/SO model, I think.

I'd say ditch the wing guns and try to make it into something like the Galaxy in Priv.

Yea so far I think I'm going to lead more towards a mercenary type ship...or independent type ship with not much provision for a large cargo hold. I think the next one I do is going to be a super large mechant ship based off the galaxy, and orion.

Much better! It needs more stripping/decals now, but I think that's a much better direction for the texturing to go in.

It has the look/feel of a WCP/SO model, I think.

Oh there's not really much detail to the model yet as you can see but I plan on adding much more... As far as the textures are concerned. But as far as the overall shape It shouldn't change much. I got all the textures coordinates where I want them. So it's just texturing now. I do not want to leave it the way it is it would but just too grey without any detail in the vision engine.

Alright well here's the last screenshot for today I got rid of the bottom cargo humps (Poly Count) added a couple fins and did a lil rearranging. Check for the changes. And feel free to Comment.

Tent22.jpg

Tent23.jpg

It reminds me of a trend from some years ago -- around when Wing Commander IV was released... people would 'mix together' the images of the different fighters to create new ones for their fanfic. I recently looked through a folder of fan-letters-to-Origin and found the same thing... all sorts of Thunderbarrows and Longcats.

(... then there was some Aces Club kid who did the same thing and *insisted* they were the top secret fighters from Wing Commander V, and he had some crazy backstory about Kilrathi Blair fighting the Nephilim and so forth... I wish I could remember his callsign.)

~~~ Thunderbarrows ...I like that one.... Well not totally intentional really, but due to my Inadequacies in model making being the amatuer that I am. I could not get the fuselage I made to correctly line up, as in textures....Even after I used Lithunwrap to placed the texture coordinates it still was all fudged up!! Anyways I've tried to get the thunderboltesq look out of the model by adding other things at least the back of the bird is totally original :). Here's some new shots of the Buccaneer....Warhawk....Nighthawk.....Baltimore......Ventura ~~~ These textures are not final... I want to add plenty of detail before any release but after the texture coordinates had been placed better It's much easier to actually do the textures then check them in the Vision engine.

SH01.jpg

SH03.jpg

As you can noticed there's less of the thunderbolt...and more of the above said :) Also check this link for a new broadsword vision engine shot....(With hardpoints) http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=23106 And also here for the new Arrow Vision shots (Wtih hardpoints) http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=23181

My first thought that comes to mind when I see that is the Long Range Strike Bomber they were going to put in WCP - I think it appears in the design docs. The one that was supposed to have the range to penetrate into Nephilim space without support for operations.

Maybe it's those giant tanks that look like extra fuel tanks on the back, I dunno.

Hmm interesting concept.....Long range Strike Bomber.....Well it would seem that during Arena used confed ships are available to civilians maybe this could be Confed version. But from reading S*S it also seems that confed didn't really go into space without a large support force. But that's just the feeling I get. Maybe there could be 2 varients ...One Civilian and One confed... Nonetheless a very interesting concept.

Back