WC Armada Tournament

Exarch

Spaceman
I recently got Armada working on my computer again, and I was thinking, why not have an annual/bi-annual/quarterly/whatever Armada one-on-one dueling tournament? I haven't tested playing Armada over the internet yet, but HC1 I know does some fine work with patching the WC games, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble for people to get connected.

So, what does everyone else think? Get some classic Wing Commander action going again. :D

if wc armada would only work on my comp. i even tried my other comp with win95, but it wont work.

help me!

This is a good idea, but people need to actually start playing weekly first. Armada can be picky about some things, and more people need to try out how it works online.

Exarch said:
Did you try the instructions found here?

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6042

And the instructions to play online can be found here.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6735

yes i tried the instructions and cant get passed the jemm error, and i tried to install it then but the problem is that when i mount a: and c: i still cant install it and it only says in the installer program, an error occures and install will shut down.

so well, it doesnt work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
This is a good idea, but people need to actually start playing weekly first. Armada can be picky about some things, and more people need to try out how it works online.

Maybe it would be a good idea to run a poll.

MajorCamKollent said:
Maybe it would be a good idea to run a poll.

What would the poll ask? "Do you want to play in an Armada tournament?" The result would be overwhelmingly positive. But the actual number of people who take the time to set up Armada and play would be quite a bit less. Like I said, a lot more people need to play their first game online before we can seriously plan out more elaborate things.

suicider said:
yes i tried the instructions and cant get passed the jemm error, and i tried to install it then but the problem is that when i mount a: and c: i still cant install it and it only says in the installer program, an error occures and install will shut down.

so well, it doesnt work.

You need to disable EMS in dosbox.conf. There are numerous threads and walkthroughs in the Crius Tech Support Zone. Start a thread there if you can't figure it out.

What would we do with this data? I can give you better results right off the top of my head. I see just about every person who's figured out how to do it in #Wingnut on a regular basis. Most of the people who'd respond to the survey wouldn't even have the game running. I've played Armada with every single person who's ever shown up in #Wingnut looking for a partner. We're putting the cart before the horse here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who would be willing to commit to a tournament of facing against someone or with (haven't played Armada online yet) them for a session. Then have these sessions a few times a week for a month or two. I could possibly see a sign up sheet then someone would need to pair people together. Then we would post the scores, and whoever wins after the tournament is over gets the satisfaction of beating everyone in the tournament.

MajorCamKollent said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, who would be willing to commit to a tournament of facing against someone or with (haven't played Armada online yet) them for a session. Then have these sessions a few times a week for a month or two. I could possibly see a sign up sheet then someone would need to pair people together. Then we would post the scores, and whoever wins after the tournament is over gets the satisfaction of beating everyone in the tournament.

Did we ever finish the Tetris tournament?

MajorCamKollent said:

This thread is the sign up sheet. Where is everyone? I can count on my fingers the number of people who are even qualified to commit to such sessions. Nobody else has troubleshot their setup and connection and even knows what the process to do this is.

AD said:
Did we ever finish the Tetris tournament?

Nope.

It's not far fetched in so much as people just need to get the processes done in order. How many Armada games have you played online with other people? More people need to understand what playing Armada entails, and the player base needs to be a bunch larger. This is perfectly doable. It's easy even. And once that happens, starting a tournament is a snap. But there's not a lot of details about a tournament that need to be hashed out when people are barely playing. Rather than creating ranked tiers, group schedules and plans for successive tournaments, this thread should be talking about how to get at least two or three new people playing at some point in the near future.

Why doesn't Wingnut have an Armada online tutorial, for the people who want to play online but don't know how and need it explained to them. This would probably have to go into the news.

MajorCamKollent said:
Why doesn't Wingnut have an Armada online tutorial, for the people who want to play online but don't know how and need it explained to them. This would probably have to go into the news.

We posted this exact thing on the front page on Monday (as we have at least every every couple months since HCl developed the process).

Totally agree with Chris on this one. Words and action are two very different things in this situation. In all my years in the WC community I have only played Armada once against another wingnut and that was at least 10 years ago if not longer when we all still resided in #wing-commander. In order to set up an effective and working tourney , people need to sign up and field test their systems running the game so that problems don't ruin ranked games.

The best and probably only time this could be pulled off with a large crowd is the CIC's b-day which always sees #wingnut bursting with people. With plently of time still remaining before the next b-day, planning such an event might not be as hard and it has a higher chance of success.

Back