WC Armada - Not enough memory for Sound Driver

GrayFox

Spaceman
Hello again.

My Disk Version of WC Armada runs fine now (had some troubles with creating copies from the original disks which actually work!).

However, before I purchased the original CDrom and the original Floppy Disk Versions at ebay in top condition, I used to play (since the game isn't well known here in germany) pirated versions (yeah, I'm sooo evil, but I've got originals now ^^).

When I got to install and run my original disk version after all I deleted this version. I only used it to test my original WC Aramda disks as well as my copies of those. Now, I tried to play my pirated version cos' it's already patched and configured and stuff and I've got some savegames there ... (I know I can simply copy them to another WC Armada installation).

Now THIS install keeps telling me I wouldn't have enough memory for the sound driver to run !?

What the hell, I didn't change ONE SINGLE LINE in the dosbox.conf! It's still the selfsame config the game had run with yesterday and the days before! I've reviewed my DosBox 0.71 config and everything's fine. I'm going mad ">__>

If it's not one thing, it's another ... x_x
I would be very happy if any of you guys happen to have any ideas on how to fix that ...

Gray

my only guess is that Armada's configuration might be off. It couldn't hurt to run the install program and make sure the sound card is properly configured. Good luck!

How much conventional memory is free when you type mem? What exactly is it telling you when you try to run the game? Are you giving it the right IRQ and so on? I've seen pirated versions randomly break a lot, so I'd probably copy your savegames over and patch your legitimate installation.

Got it done as well. Since I've grown up with dos I luckily know my way around with conventional memory, XMS, UMB and all that bulls***.

I DO have enough memory free, 637k in total, as well as an UMB Area of 127k and round about 31200k of XMS memory. As I said, it's the very same config that I have run WC Armada with the days before. I had changed the sound config to solve an issue with WCIII, but I already reconfigured WC Armada accordingly.

So neither a bad mem config nor a bad sound config would happen to cause the problems. However, I saved the games still open to a safe place, then deleted Armada and copied a clean copy (pirated disk version again) into my dosbox games folder, added the savegames, started the install setup to reconfigure the sound and thats it. This one runs now. My guess: The armadadb.exe / *.exe Files were corrupted by some kind of action I'm not yet aware of. Since the same pirated version runs now, I know those problems must have been caused by the "old" version. Now that I'm over with this, I will do as ChrisReid suggests. I will install one of my legitimate versions, copy my saved games and be happy with that.

I'm sorry for opening threads only to find the solution by myself a few moments later ^_^"

Gray

Sounds good. Note that for some WC games (particular Privateer), 32 megs of XMS can cause a bug that causes your sound to get all screwed up. Reducing to 16 megs fixes it.

I will keep this in mind. No problems yet. I tried to make WCIII run better with 32 MB of Ram, thats why I've chosen this value.

Back