WC Armada -ish strategy game ;)

Werewolf

Spaceman
Hi!

I'm working on a web-based strategy game similar to the one used in Wing Commander Armada. Right now I've finished the game concept, finished db design and started implementation in PHP. I'm doing a "Dune"-themed game first (so the factions are called "Bene Gesserit" "Tleilaxu", "Ixians", "Honored Matres", etc. - just as in the books, not like in the crappy westwood games)

The framework itself is pretty generic, so it's very easy to do a WC-themed game too. The url to the game will be http://www.playspoon.com/dune

I plan to have a first version ready within the next week.

Sorry for that, I was refering to Westwood's "alternative" Storyline in "Emperor: Battel for Dune". If you read the books, your get increasingly painful headache the farther you get in the game.

So ok, the game isn't crappy - but it's story is.

Here's a screenshot of the game as it is now.

shot1.jpg

What's working right now is the starmap, the map editor, planet editor as well as the whole database structure for the game.
I still have to do most of the actual gameplay code, building code, starship travel, as well as an overview map.

Emmhhh...
You don´t need any route or jumpoint to travel from planet to planet in Dune, the navigators only fold the space.

Erf, yes. I was waiting for that one to come up. So... sue me :D
Seriously, it's true. But I obviously can't have everyone hop around the map like mad monkeys.

The good news is that my game now even offers Trading. You can trade anything you like (Spice, Minerals, Ships, even planets) and the cool thing is that nobody guarantees for anything. People might trick you and steal things, stuff like that.

Originally posted by Werewolf
Erf, yes. I was waiting for that one to come up. So... sue me :D
Seriously, it's true. But I obviously can't have everyone hop around the map like mad monkeys.

Gee, didn't you say something about being more faithful to the books than Westwood was? :p

And why shouldn't ships hop about the map like mad monkeys anyway? This would result in a totally different style of combat than, say, Armada, but it would be appropriate enough in the Dune universe.

Aaah! You destroyed me!!! ;)
Well I'm looking into it as we speak. I could allow that IF the player has the target system on his map (using prescience or scouts) AND he bribes the spacing guild with a large quantity of spice.

-yes, that's a nice idea!

Ok, here's where I am right now (OK means it's done, ... means I'm on it, and X means Todo)

--------------------

OK) Write game manual

OK) SQL Query for Starmap should already filter for visible values,
else we'll have a problem with 5000x5000 maps.

OK) Implement Scrolling for starmap

..) Add "Ships present" and "Buildings present"-display as overlay over planet thumbnails.

..) Implement Turns

..) Implement Building of Structures

X) Implement Building of Ships

X) Show gridlines every 5 grids on starmap

X) Show grid coordinates on the border of the starmap

X) Implement "User Profile Setup" page

X) Implement new user registration

X) Implement Starship travel

X) Implement transportation of Spice and Metal via Transports

X) Implement Space Fighting

X) Implement Messaging

X) Implement "Join Faction" page

X) Implement "Trading" Feature:
For each additional shipyard on one planet, building a ship costs 5% less in Metal and Energy.
...so it's newprice = price-(price*(1.0-(numFactories/10)))
The price can't get cheaper than 30% of the original price
Players are able to "abandon" ships, thus setting their OwningPlayerID to -1
If any player moves to a planet with abandoned Ships, they belong to him.

X) Implement Prescience
(produces prescient humans, who greatly increase your visible radius at the cost of much Spice)

X) Implement Foldspace Travel
(Ships may travel through foldspace, jumping from one part of the galaxy to another in the
blink of an eye. Horrendous bribes of Spice neccessary)

--------------------

Shouldn't be too long before a playable version, I expect one week at the most.

Back