WC Armada Install - Please insert Disk 7 !?

GrayFox

Spaceman
Hello everybody.

This is my first thread startet in these forums. Plus, my english got a little bit rusty the last few years, so please bear this in mind when responding to this post.

Well, the thread name already indicates the direction of my problem. Wing Commander Armada Floppy Disk Version, bought at ebay a few days ago in top condition and with the including six disks (being tested fully operational), keeps asking me to insert WC Armada Install Disk 7 into my floppy drive! I don't know about Wing Commander Armadas original box contents since I had to play - yeah, I'm a baaaad boy - pirated copies in lack of an original box until the cited few days ago. I also purchased the CD Rom Version from the very same ebay-user and this one works fine. I know, CD Version and Floppy Version aren't different in their contents, none the less I wanted to have the Floppy Disk Version, too. WC Armada was my very first PC game I ever played and therefore I feel connected to this game in a very personal way, you see.

I paid 20 EURO for that box, thats round about 28 US$ and it really is a collectors piece. So tell me, before I start to kill that ebay user mentally, IS there a seventh disk after all OR is my box complete with these six disks included ?

In case it is complete, then why does install routine keep asking me for another disk ? What can I do to avoid this ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
GrayFox

EDIT #1: Reviewed my (german) WC Armada manual. The game comes with six (6) disks. Still I have the problem mentioned above.

Interesting... what happens during the installation if you re-insert Disk #1 when asked for #7?

Well, the manual suggests to create copies from the original disks so that damage to them can be avoided. I created the copies by simplay drag and drop the disks contents onto my hardrive (seperated in a directory for each disk), then copied the contents on new disks.

I did NOT use diskcopy since I can't do so on a WinXP SP2 system. I believe simply copying the contents instead of making "real disk copies" mixed it all up. I will try to use the WinXP-integrated tool to copy the disks again.

When I insert any other disk (disks 1 to 5) it keeps asking me for disk 7. Same goes for disk 6 of course.

Still, it might be a problem caused by dosbox and the dosbox floppy driver.

Best regards,
Gray

It may be as easy as also renaming the disks to the same names as they were originally. IIRC some WC games needed them properly named.

Copied the disks with the windows tool. Now everything's fine.

Must really have been those stupid disk names. Whatever, I have got another problem. The disk version runs fine now.
However, I've got another WC Armada problem that I'll go on about in another thread. The admins / mods can close this one now.

Gray

Glad you got that solved. We don't close tech support threads, because someone with a similar problem in the future might be better off expanding on this one that making a separate thread.

Back