WC 1 & 2 (Kilrathi Saga) with LCD monitor?

pintozack

Spaceman
I had a hankerin' to play the Kilrathi Saga all over again - it's been a few years. I am running a system with Win XP, which doesn't seem to cause any problems with WC3, but when I run WC 1 & 2, it doesn't work with my LCD monitor. I can hear sounds and things in the background, but when 1 & 2 start, the video apparently resets the screen resolution to something that my monitor can't handle (too low, I suppose.) The error message that appears says that the resolution and refresh rate are unsupported - and I'm sure it's from the monitor itself and not from the video card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this running, or do I need to dig up an old CRT monitor to get it to work?

Thanks!

Must be because the screen resolution is too low for your LCD screen.

Solution 1: use a CRT monitor
Solution 2: play the game in a window. IIRC WCKS allows you to use Alt-Enter to toggle between fullscreen and windowed.

Solution 3 get a good video card. I had the same problem, got a nvidia 3 card to play c&c generals and it solved the wc 1 & 2 problem as well. I'm guessing that your computer has a low end video card onboard the motherboard.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I think the only answer is to dig up a CRT...

I could not figure out where to hit "Alt-Enter." I did so during the game intro, but nothing happened. I pressed "Alt-Tab" and got it to minimize the window, but there were no options when I right-clicked on the taskbar.

And I am quite sure it is not the video card... I am running a Matrox G400 dual-head, which is a very capable graphics card. I am sure the software is written with a hard coded resolution; LCD monitors are funny in that they usually only accept a thin range of resolutions. I was hoping there was perhaps a command line parameter where you could override the default resolution. Oh well.

If you guys have any more suggestions, I'll try them, too!

Just wanted to revise my statement that it may not be resolution but refresh rate, which LCD monitors have a similarly hard time with. The error message from the monitor:

VGA Mode Not Support
H:35.8 KHz V: 84.9 Hz

The grammar only a hardware manufacturer could love...

pintozack said:
Just wanted to revise my statement that it may not be resolution but refresh rate, which LCD monitors have a similarly hard time with...
Eh, whatever... Bottom line is, you got y'self a hardware incompatibility w/ the game.

1) Get yerself a nice 20-21" CRT monitor.
2) Play game.
3) Spend countless hours enjoying big screen WCKS madness. Satisfaction ensues.

I think you're right about the refresh rate. On my monitor it comes up with a rate that doesn't quite match any of the "built-in" modes my (CRT) monitor prefers, but fortunately it will still work, I just had to save the mode as a User Mode.

I'm guessing it's the fact that it's an LCD -- unfortunately, they just don't design them to operate at 320xwhatever. I tried to get one for my WC Computer -- but I settled with a big fat CRT that I'm sure will eventually make my crummy Ikea desk break into a million pieces.

pintozack said:
I could not figure out where to hit "Alt-Enter." I did so during the game intro, but nothing happened.
Hummm... try to read the README file on the CD-ROM. I am pretty sure you can play the game windowed, but maybe you need to add a command line switch to your shortcut. If you can't find out I'll check it for you once I am home and find a few minutes to put my KS disc in my PC.

But of course the best way to play is fullscreen, and you won't be able to play fullscreen on your LCD.

It does say somewhere in the readme file that Alt-Enter should work to make it work in a Window, but it doesn't go into any detail at all. If you find that command line switch, I'd be very excited to try it out. I'll look when I get home from work tonight and so I can copy that line about the Alt-Enter verbatim, but there's nothing particularly illuminating about it in the readme file as I recall.

True, windowed would not be as fun as full-screen, but I ain't having much fun not being able to see anything! I may have to drag one of these surplus CRT monitors home from work (that I actually brought here myself to get them out of the house.) It may work... if my wife doesn't kill me for bringing this crap *back* home...

I just checked, and most of those neat command line switches and windowed mode are for WC3 only, so I guess you'll have to bring an old CRT back home !

Back