Was wing commander destiny ever a real project, or just some youtube fanon?

Mace

Vice Admiral
I stumbled across this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1UmphQHYQ4

Now the music I don't recognize, the graphics look pretty unique, but not unlike wingcommander, and I think the ship with the Prongs should be another re-envision of the Tiger's claw. But the second capship you see looks so poorly textured I doubt it's really a real EA trailer.

Thanx for clearing that up, in the youtube comments no one ever said it was a fake.. That's what made me doubt it, and I also remember LOAF posting sometime ago about abandoned WC projects around that time this "trailer" was done...

Very very fake.

There was a full scale Wing Commander project for the 360 in development at one point... but this wasn't it.

Yeah, we mentioned this as being fake in the news a while back. But of course not everyone will have seen that. If nothing else, the fleet of a zillion Aliens dropships should give away the authenticity of this trailer.

I just ran across this trailer on youtube, linked to the one in the news section(the soundtrack thingie), when I have time, I check this site everyday... but there were no Youtube comments on it actually being fake. And I did not recognize that invasion force as dropships, and it did not look like either version of the Kilrathi fighters anyway.... And I also noticed something of a wormhole gate thingy, that threw me completely offtrack for the time period it was supposed to take place in... And the logo did look pretty good...

A project for the 360? that one slipped me by
Not to mention that current consoles could handle a new wing commander experience, easily, but I think we have to wait for the next generation of consoles for a fully new game or remake...

Not to mention that current consoles could handle a new wing commander experience, easily, but I think we have to wait for the next generation of consoles for a fully new game or remake...

I hope not I cant afford to buy any new consoles lol

I think it's likely LOAF is refering to the project that was set to go ahead if Arena had been a huge hit. They had a bunch of preproduction stuff set up and were ready to put it in high gear but it wasn't to be.

I think it's likely LOAF is refering to the project that was set to go ahead if Arena had been a huge hit. They had a bunch of preproduction stuff set up and were ready to put it in high gear but it wasn't to be.

Wow, really? I'm sure details are still classified, but can you share any insight into what kind of experience it was going to set out to deliver? An expanded version of Arena or something different?

It would have been a full proper WC, and not an arcade shooter if that is what you are asking.

Did the CIC happen to get a hold of them?

It would have been a full proper WC, and not an arcade shooter if that is what you are asking.

I meant more in terms of universe timeline, but this is really interesting as well. Hopefully the materials, fiction, designs etc that were created will make it into a subsequent effort. At the very least, I imagine the inside scoop on the game will make a series of great news posts for the CIC once the classification period expires!

Very very fake.

There was a full scale Wing Commander project for the 360 in development at one point... but this wasn't it.

Holy shit, are you serious? We were that close to getting a new Wing Commander game? I know in the past you have hinted about official Wing Commander projects trying to get off the ground, but I didn't think it was that close to being real...

If it was dependant on Arena being successful though, I dunno. I love Wing Commander, but I didn't really enjoy Arena. I just hope that this rumoured WC project of Chris's see's the light of day...

I love Wing Commander, but I didn't really enjoy Arena.

Eh, I only played a couple of games of Arena myself, but even before I had a 360 I did my part and bought Arena, just for the effort to show EA that there are still Wing Commander fans out there.

I just hope that this rumoured WC project of Chris's see's the light of day...

If this project of Chris' is true, I wonder if it has any connection to the shelved Arena follow on (at least in storyline, setting, etc.)

Sorry folks, I should have replied to this thread earlier.

Yes, the plan was to do a big budget Wing Commander after Arena. It wasn't even the sales that killed the project--that was that weird period where the industry was OBSESSED with Metacritic; bad reviews for Arena told the number munchers that no one wanted the Wing Commander IP. It's a shame--they had great things planned, and even had a simple multiplayer mode up and running when it died. It would have been a "classic" style game (ie, a FPS without floors), but following the continuity created by Arena. I don't know how much there is in terms of game assets out there and I don't really have any, beyond a few sketches of the Kilrathi I was shown early on.

(One thing that I think confused people is who made Arena. Arena was managed by an EA producer in Burnaby, but developed by an outside studio called Gaia in New York City. The AAA product would have been run by the same producer but with a team at EA. Other than the man in charge--who LOVED Wing Commander like we do--it would have been a new team of developers.)

This project was NOT connected to Chris Roberts' current one in any way. If you know Chris, you know he's a man with a very specific vision--the fact that he wants to come back to Wing Commander now means that he has his OWN idea that he's set on making. There's no chance that he'd be picking up where someone else left off.

Back