Vulcan Bomber Cockpit in 360°

I love the way the control sticks extend out from the instrument panel... I know its a twin seater, but it really looks like the pilot is supposed to grab one in each hand for some reason... I love cockpit art, something I miss from WC1/2... I wish there was a really nice way to implement it into a game without making it annoying (wc3 - who really played with the cockpits on ALL the time?). The 'X' universe games did cockpits quite well. Starlancer also had pretty nifty ones. Would love to see this kind of detail one day. Plus hands interacting with the instruments when you did things (once again, like WC).

Interestingly, the plane photographed, Vulcan XM597, started service in 1963. It was flown on two anti-radar missions in Operation Black Buck during 1982's Falklands War/Guerra de las Malvinas. On its return flight during the second mission, its refueling probe broke and it had to divert to Brazil where it was interned for 7 days.

Here's a photo from Wikipedia showing the mission markings and a Brazilian flag:
VulcanblackbuckefJM.jpg

Ahh the mighty Vulcan! for those intersteted a book called Vulcan 607 is an great read its about the vulcan attack during the falklands war and trust me its very impresive.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vulcan-607-Rowland-White/dp/0552152293 (the book on Amazon)

The Vulcan was the second V bomber to enter service in the RAF and the only one to still have a jet flying im lucky enough to have seen it fly a few times and what a sight!

From memory the sound they make is incredible - I saw one at an airshow once. Although 1st place for awesomesauce noisemaking goes to the B-1B doing a full afterburner takeoff... deafening is too weak a word.

From memory the sound they make is incredible - I saw one at an airshow once. Although 1st place for awesomesauce noisemaking goes to the B-1B doing a full afterburner takeoff... deafening is too weak a word.

I did once see a B-1B taking off at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford (which is a USAF base) back in 2002 and it was loud as hell!

B-1B's are notorious for conducting "show of force" flights in theater to scare baddies. I was really skeptical of this until one flew over my head right on the deck, full afterburner. The sound and the sonic shock wave combined were absolutely 'fear-of-god' inducing - and I knew he was on my side.

This is a great link! Youngblood, I like the book suggestion - going to take you up on that suggestion.

I did once see a B-1B taking off at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford (which is a USAF base) back in 2002 and it was loud as hell!

Heh. There were a bunch of warnings over the P.A. telling parents to 'hold on to their children'. After it took off it did a bunch of low-level flybys at speed. It's incredible to see something a little larger than a 737 moving close to 1000km/h...

Back