Visual Reference: Special Operations 1 & 2 Rooms (April 21, 2017)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Earlier in the week, we collected all of the 'uncut' Wing Commander II 'sets.' Today we're following up that selection with the new rooms created for the Special Operations addon disks. A key consideration in that era of development was disk space; the mission disks could budget only a small amount of space to add new art content. As a result, each game added one cinematic ship view (the Crossbow and Morningstar, respectively) and one new location. That's the Gettysburg's brig in Special Operations 1 and the courtroom for Jazz's trial for Special Operations 2. Note that Tolwyn's shadow is part of the artwork, making for a somewhat creepy scene once he is removed!

Special Operations 1:

Special Operations 2:

--
Original update published on April 21, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
The shadow might be creepy, but perfect reasonable given hardware limitations of the day. Only Tolwyn needed to be animated, the shadow need not be since he stood in the same spot. Actually... I can't even remember for certain if Tolwyn moved that much in that scene. But all the characters were sprites-only anyway, and did not include shadows as part of those animations.

I see dead Tolwyns!

it's worse than that.. it reveals the truth. I should have known all along...

Tolwyn only comes down on you for claiming cloaking device so often because he doesn't want to give up his personal cloaking device. "wha.. uh no, err. BLAIR! Blair, you are a jerk and a traitor and not at all privy to the secret that is my pocket cloak"

it's worse than that.. it reveals the truth. I should have known all along...

Tolwyn only comes down on you for claiming cloaking device so often because he doesn't want to give up his personal cloaking device. "wha.. uh no, err. BLAIR! Blair, you are a jerk and a traitor and not at all privy to the secret that is my pocket cloak"
Reminds me of that Xwing novel:

*Man, whom is stark naked from being pranked, standing at attention to his commanding officer.*
"Sir, I regret to report only partial success with the personal cloaking device."

"Carry on."

:D

Last edited:
Back