Video of the "Best ending"

Triple-B

Rear Admiral
Hey,

I just finished standoff for the second time now. I saw the "normal ending" and the "loosing ending".

However, after completing the games two times in a row, the game is somehow corrupted. I can't get it to work again. Besides, I can't achieve the last mission flawless, so that I can see the " Best ending".

Has someone uploaded the " best ending" somewhere?

Thanks

EDIT: it is not on youtube

Yes it is! (I should know, I put it there).

You may discover you have, in fact, already found the "winning" ending ("Next Year In Kilrah") ; it is not particularly upbeat - this is because even after the best possible outcome of the Battle of Earth, humanity is still pretty much losing the war. The middle ending is called "A long way to Kilrah".

you mean the only distinction between the "normal ending" and "best ending" is " a long way to kilrah/ next year in kilrah" ?

This would explain, why I have seen this ending both on the winning and on the (winning) loosing path

you mean the only distinction between the "normal ending" and "best ending" is " a long way to kilrah/ next year in kilrah" ?
The differences are definitely much smaller than between the normal and losing endings, yeah. We had toyed with the idea of making a stronger winning ending, but ultimately chose not to - I don't remember why, either we felt this would be going too far, or we simply figured it would be too much work :p.

In any case, there are three differences between these endings: first, Reismann's dialogue in the landing celebration scene is different, in the winning scene he makes it clear that we can expect to counterattack in the near future. Secondly, when we see a shot of the Confed fleet, the fleet can be more or less numerous. And finally, Bradshaw in his dialogue with Sparrow basically recaps what Reismann had already said.

From the books, we know that after the Battle of Terra, Confed considered a more aggressive counterattack (IIRC, Tolwyn wanted this), but ultimately decided this would be too risky given the amount of ships the Kilrathi still had. But in the winning ending, the idea is that you've tipped the balance - the combined damage inflicted on the Kilrathi invasion force is so severe that launching a major counterattack becomes the less risky option than waiting for the Kilrathi to recover. This doesn't mean that Confed would have won the war, or even that the situation at the start of WC3 would have been more optimistic than it was. Confed's forces were weak, and probably the counterattack would have brought limited results, while exposing the fleet to similarly desperate Kilrathi countermeasures. But hey, who knows - maybe they would have reached Kilrah? :)

thanks, now it becomes clear to me and now I fully understand, why I saw almost two times the same ending :D

The differences are definitely much smaller than between the normal and losing endings, yeah. We had toyed with the idea of making a stronger winning ending, but ultimately chose not to - I don't remember why, either we felt this would be going too far, or we simply figured it would be too much work :p.

In any case, there are three differences between these endings: first, Reismann's dialogue in the landing celebration scene is different, in the winning scene he makes it clear that we can expect to counterattack in the near future. Secondly, when we see a shot of the Confed fleet, the fleet can be more or less numerous. And finally, Bradshaw in his dialogue with Sparrow basically recaps what Reismann had already said.

From the books, we know that after the Battle of Terra, Confed considered a more aggressive counterattack (IIRC, Tolwyn wanted this), but ultimately decided this would be too risky given the amount of ships the Kilrathi still had. But in the winning ending, the idea is that you've tipped the balance - the combined damage inflicted on the Kilrathi invasion force is so severe that launching a major counterattack becomes the less risky option than waiting for the Kilrathi to recover. This doesn't mean that Confed would have won the war, or even that the situation at the start of WC3 would have been more optimistic than it was. Confed's forces were weak, and probably the counterattack would have brought limited results, while exposing the fleet to similarly desperate Kilrathi countermeasures. But hey, who knows - maybe they would have reached Kilrah? :)

hehe I remember back in the day making a speculation where major Standoff victory led directly to annihilation of Confed by the Nephilim few years later... Also IIRC in the first release the endings were swithed due to a bug

Back