Video encoder

Deadman_ny

Spaceman
Not really wc related but could you please help?
I have a HP digital camera that I use to take videos of my son but when I try to encode them with my Nero software the sound is all garbled but the video is fine. So I've been doing the ditty like in the Wonder Years intro (overdubbing music over the video). That was all and good but now he's talking and they do say the darndest things. I already had Nero and blew cash on the newest ver hopeing they added/changed something so it would work now; no luck. note, even went online and bought the dolby addons and crap and it didn't do jack.
In short, does anyone know of a GOOD video encoder that will encode mpeg into DVD format (.ifo files)
If you need more info about the camera, file sample, ect. just ask.

So are the videos playable when you copy the files straight to the harddrive? The audio seems ok when you play those files?

yes, audio and video play fine on hd, but when i try to convert to dvd the audio is at half speed

Ah, I think I know what the problem is. It probably has to do with the either the the sampling rate of the audio. The camera is probably only recording audio at 22050 hz or less. If you convert the audio to 44100hz it will double the speed at which it plays. So you most likely need to find a way to tell nero what sampling rate the files use.

Isn't DVD 48something and not 44100? Anyhow - ADs guess sounds good.

Isn't DVD 48something and not 44100? Anyhow - ADs guess sounds good.

Yeah, DVD audio is usually (but not always) 48000Hz. 44100Hz is the standard rate of CD audio. Most likely, digital camera video has audio recording at the lower rates to save power and disk space unless you have a more expensive one. Also some cameras might have options on them to adjust the video quality (resolution and framerate).

It's the HP Photosmart M22. I bought it because it was relitivly rugged for a digital camera for $150 and another $70 for the 1 gig SD card when it first came out almost 3 years ago. Been using it for work and like all new parents went pic crazy filling my hd with over 300 gig of baby pics. Used it for work aswell, taking pics of job sites an such (tax write-off;)). Red-eye removal and 4 mp pics with adaptive lighting that make you go wow compared to most other reg cameras. For instance I've used it to take pictures down sewer lines and such to show the condition of the lines. We were revamping a plaza in Seneca Falls New York and the 4" cast iron lines were full of roots so to show the property owner the problem I used the digital zoom (optical is better i know) to show how the beutiful shubbery around the building had grown into the lines that were almost 9 feet down and why they needed to augered out or the line replaced. Zoomed in to take an image down one of the cleanout to show all the roots. Pointing blindly down the sewer line I was amazed by how well they came out. Just looking down with a flashlight failed in comparison. Then again I'm little more then a hick, but the adaptive lighting makes a huge difference.
The vid quality just sucks when shooting indoors if the lighing isn't bright enough but outdoors or in a very well lit room it's impressive considering the size and age of the camera.
The output format for the video is .MPG but I'm not sure what the autio rate is for the audio.
Going to upgrade soon to a camera with IR cus it's just freaky to watch.
In short, got the vids to encode properly though I'm not sure why changing the output video from 5073 kbis/ s to 2537 kbits/s made a difference. There are no real audio output settings for Nero aside from Dolby 5.1, Dolby 2.0 and Stereo. And I tried all of those with no result.
So I guess for some strange reason the vid settings were screwing with the audio.

It's the HP Photosmart M22. I bought it because it was relitivly rugged for a digital camera for $150 and another $70 for the 1 gig SD card when it first came out almost 3 years ago. Been using it for work and like all new parents went pic crazy filling my hd with over 300 gig of baby pics.

Wow, did you really take that many or is that just a random number? With that camera, it'd be about 20 pictures every waking hour for the first couple years.

They're high res pictures, so each pic is about 4-6 meg (can print out 8x10's and still awsome quality) and after Evan (my son) was borne I took time off of work so I spent almost every waking hour with him. On top of that I gave my camera to my mother while she had the little one and grandmothers go crazy with cameras...;) Got an entire external 500gb hd devoted to just baby pics/vids. Now days when you have your film developed they give you the option of getting the pics on a CD. And my mother wouldn't give up her old camera do I copied/edited the pics of her's I liked too.
Cool thing about nero is you can make slideshow dvd's where you just add pics in chronological order and add your fav music. Amazing how you can watch him grow up. Like time lapse photography...only in dif places and such. Started crying the first time I saw watched the dvd. When I gave a copy to my mom and my sisters they all wanted me to do the same for their kids. My sister Charity was the wierdest...Willy Nelson and Kid Rock wtf! I picked songs like 'Building a Mystery, Arms wide open...ya know? Willy Nelson!?!? The man can't sing!!!

They're high res pictures, so each pic is about 4-6 meg (can print out 8x10's and still awsome quality) and after Evan (my son) was

I recently had some old 3 megapixel images printed in 8x10 and they look great. I have no idea how your 4 megapixel camera produces such large file size pictures. 4-6 megs would make sense for a 15 megapixel camera.

Yup...BMP but not all of the data is pics...there are videos on the HD aswell. AND i've been stealing pics from sisters/mother to fill out albums for family members. The get the CD with their prints and I'd copy the cd to the HD after tweeking them (removing red-eye, sharpen ect.)
Are there any other comperable programs to Nero. The lack of options in Nero is a little annoying.
I made a mistake and bought a 1tb WD external HD...turned out it's a network drive (ethernet hookup). Lots of storage but it's slow as hell. There's a USB port on the back of the drive if I wanted to add storage to the network...and slow another drive down. My other External HD's can xfer data between 10-15 mb\sec while this Network drive is only putting out 5 mb\sec at most. May not seem like a differnce but god god there IS a difference. Been contemplating just riping the external drive apart and just poping it into my computer. Had to to this before when I lost power and one of my external drive stopped working. Pulled it out of the case and pluged it into the computer to recover the date.
Now if I did this to the 1tb network drive...i know it's set up as a RAID drive (1 drive spanned across 2) but would the xfer rate be just as slow or since I'm illiminating the ethernet and connecting directly to the motherboard (not the ribbin but those little connectors...STI? forget the name) would that inprove the speed? Or is there another way to speed up the drive while keeping it as a network drive??? I'm working on moving the data to another hd. Eh, the real reason I can't stand the drive is I have to xfer data to another drive so it can be used and when I'm using the drive my computer acts sluggish. The other USB2/firewire drives don't do that. Also thought of plugging it into the pc and creating either 2 500gig hd's or RAIDing it again keeps entering my mind but will the xfer speeds be just as shitty?
Your thoughts? Besides wtf is wronge with this guy...

Ethernet should be at least 100Mb/s on anything close to modern hardware. Check your network and eliminate any interfaces that are running at 10Mb/s, the whole network runs at the speed of the slowest interface.

Ok, I have a Speedstream DSL router connected to a hub 10/100 mb/s. The hub is connected to the WD1tb external HD, my computer...thats it. So I might just be the Ethernet card installed inside my computer slowing things down? Make sence since it bogs the entire computer down...like i'm encoding something in background ya know but there is almost no CPU/memory usage. I'm ganna run to the store and pick up a Ethernet card...disable the onboard ethernet card and see if it makes a difference.

Well, some good did come of taking the computer apart to install the LAN card. Dust removal. :)
Installed new 100 mb/s LAN card...no difference. Plugged external HD directly into LAN...same transfer rate of about 4.15 mb/s. Even bought new ethernet wires. I KNOW the hub is 100 mb/s (big letters on top of unit and the lights are differnt colors when at 10 mb/s) the onboard LAN was 100 mb/s ...but onboard sucks so for the hell of it it's disabled and running off new LAN. Oh, cpu was running at 175-180F and the fan was really running loud...closer look and it was right full of dust. Now running around 100-120F. Is that normal for a duel core 3gig cpu? Are there any programs out there that measure cpu temp on Windows desktop? Right now can only check in CMOS. And is this drive spos to be this slow? Doesn't seem right and there doesn't seem to be any way at all to tweak it since it comes up as a network drive.

AFAIK a HUB that is labelled 10/100 only has the 100 working INSIDE the hub (where the data collisions occur). The connections to the individual PCs is only 10. At least it was that way some time ago.

Yup...BMP but not all of the data is pics...
A 4 megapixel photograph in bitmap format would be much larger than 4 megs.

Where are you getting your transfer rates from? Are you mixing bits with bytes anywhere?

Check that every interface is set for full duplex mode.

Copying many small files takes a longer time than a single large file even when the accumulated file size is the same.

The source and/or destination drive could be highly fragmented.

Where are you copying the data to? This wasn't clear from your post.

I find that copying a large number of files goes a lot smoother if I use xcopy from a command prompt with the silent switch (/Q).

Where are you getting your transfer rates from? Are you mixing bits with bytes anywhere? (/Q).

Running Windows Vista. In the little box when you move/copy files it says "MB/sec" for instance now it say; Speed: 4.18 MB/sec When transfering. I've moved files from the other drives (external and internal) and they all run about 10Mb/sec to 15 mb/sec. I takes noticeably longer to copy to the network drive.

Check that every interface is set for full duplex mode. (/Q).

Have no idea how to check... Please help

Copying many small files takes a longer time than a single large file even when the accumulated file size is the same. (/Q).

Most files are between 1-4gig.

The source and/or destination drive could be highly fragmented. (/Q).

Norton 360 does weekly defrag and scanning and all that fun stuff. I thought the same thing at first when I started having this trouble and rescanned. The Netword drive (the 1tb WD) can't be defraged/formatted. It's in network profile and when I right click all I get is properties and network address.

Where are you copying the data to? This wasn't clear from your post. (/Q).

I'm trying to move the files off of the slow network drive onto another 1 tb external USB hard drive.

Right now my computer is connected to my Internet Router and the network drive is plugged into the router aswell.

Computer----------
Speedstream Router----------internet
Network HD--------

Ok, opened my router contrl and it says that everything connected (external HDD, computer) is operatating at Full Duplex and at 100 m/bits sec. Is 100 m/bits sec 10 mb/s?
3rd port is my wireless for my laptop. 4th is unused

Ethernet Status

Port Status Uptime
(hh:mm:ss) Speed(Mbits/sec) Duplex MTU (Bytes)
1 UP 01:05:41 100 Full 1500
2 UP 01:05:40 100 Full 1500
3 UP 01:05:40 100 Full 1500
4 Down N/A

10MB/sec (mega Byte) = 80Mb/sec (mega bit) which would be ok for a 100Mb connection (some is always lost to overhead).

Back