Video cards

Originally posted by Soma
If I installed an AGP and PCI video card in the same machine, would there be any conflicts?
Why is it when someone post a question they don't tell you what they are trying to do? Info is key to getting the right answer. What graphic cards?

Um, well, a Rage Fury in the AGP-slot and a Voodoo 2 in the PCI-slot works just fine. O' course, it's the V2's nature to not cause any conflicts when it's added-on. As our Repairman underlined: What graphic cards?

Originally posted by Soma
If I installed an AGP and PCI video card in the same machine, would there be any conflicts?
That hugely depends on what you plan to do.
AGP and a Voodoo 1/2 should not pose a problem.
AGP and a normal graphic card (to do multi monitor for example) can be a problem if you are short on interrupts (how full is your system)

I got a Geforce3Ti2000, a Matrox Mystique 220+Rainbow Runner addon and a Voodoo 1 graphic card all in one machine. And they work together just fine with some limitations (no D3D or RR functionality from the Mystique unless I declare PCI as primary graphic card in BIOS, but then the D3D of the GF is gone). The Voodoo also only works in DOS if I declare the Mystique as primary.
The only problem I had was that I had to disable Advanced Power Management and one IDE Controller (doesn't matter I only use SCSI anyhow) in order to give out enough interrupts.

But then my machine is a nightmare. I don't have any free slots at all (no PCI, no ISA, no USB, no other external connections).
A tech once said I'd never be able to get it running with that config... ;-)

Back