velcro.

d3r3k

Spaceman
any tips to keep it from wearing out?

i wear a watch with a cloth and velcro band, i only take it off when i shower. needless to say, the velcro gets worn down very quickly. any tips besides not using velcro?

d3r3k said:
any tips to keep it from wearing out?

i wear a watch with a cloth and velcro band, i only take it off when i shower. needless to say, the velcro gets worn down very quickly. any tips besides not using velcro?

The best advice I can think of is: Don't buy a watch with a velcro band.

Seriously though, I also have a velcro watch and the last inch of the band doesn't stick anymore and I have to tuck it under to keep it from flapping around. I can't think of anything I could've done differently to extend its life. I'm just too lazy and cheap to go get a better one.

Next time I'll just spring for a model that costs a dollar more and won't fall apart as easily.

My watch also has a cloth (nylon) band, but no velcro (standard holes+pin clip thingy mechanism). Works perfectly fine for me (the leather/pseudoleather bands kept rotting off my arm--eww--and I find metal to be heavy and annoying to put on).

Actually, I used to buy the "cheap" watches too until I learned they are actually more expensive than nicer watchs. I would chunk down about $25 every two years for a Timex piece of junk that never looked good and needed a replacement band quite frequently. The replacement bands, however, normally looked so bad they'd eventually motivate me to start over.

Then I switch to Fossil watches at about $60 every four years when the metal plating starts to fade. At least for me, the face and the band eventually get scraped up so I figure even with a really nice watch I'd end up having to replace it not long after anyway. Just seems like a lot better return of investmest since it lasts twice as long, looks a ton better, and doesn't cost much more than double or triple a "cheap" watch.

I know it's not the suggestion you're looking for, but you could always try going with a pocket watch. I've had mine for almost ten years and other than some minor scuffs and scratchs from the few times I threw some change in with it, it's been great. I've had to replace the battery a few times (3 total) so that's not too bad either.

You can try to acquire some milspec velcro ("Hook and loop" fasteners, in typical military no-brandnames-even-if-it-is-common fashion). I've not had as much wear with milspec velcro as with cheaper kind. It can be harder to get, but you find it on ebay easily enough. Or your local military store will have them as well (make sure it's real).

I'm wearing the 1965 Rolex Air King my dad picked up new for 100 bucks back in the day. It's 39 years old and loses less than a minute a month, plus it never needs batteries.

I have an 1883 Elgin pocket watch. The mainspring is broke right now, but I'll be getting that fixed in the near future. Batteries? What does a watch need with batteries? :D

McGruff said:
I'm wearing the 1965 Rolex Air King my dad picked up new for 100 bucks back in the day. It's 39 years old and loses less than a minute a month, plus it never needs batteries.

You should probably get it serviced by a Rolex service center to enhance its accuracy.

OTOH, a Rolex for $100...

To the people who have really nice watches... Are they sufficiently durable to not scratch etc or are you just very careful with them? I always scratch my watches but it may just be because they cheap, but I'm afraid to spend Rolex type cash when I'm afraid I could scratch the heck out of the face and band. Just wondering if I should rethink my watch buying strategy.

Back