Vega IX or VII (again)

Aginor

Vice Admiral
Hi Guys!

I used the search engine (as I always do before posting) but I wasn't able to find the thread in which somebody (I would bet it was LOAF, if that thread really existed ;) ) explained if it was simply a typo somewhere in my WC1 version or I don't remember it correctly:

Iceman kills a fighter and says: "That was for Vega IX"

It is in the Wing Commander Encyclopedia entry for Vega IX, too.

But I thought it is Vega VII where his family died, so...

Please link to the thread where it is explained, I can't find it.

-Aginor

I don't know of a thread, but I can explain it. There's a talking head sequence in Wing Commander I (Kurasawa series) where Iceman says: "Still, I'd like to get my hands on one of them... face to face... to answer what they did to my family on Vega VII!" Then his in-flight 'kill' taunt says (something along the lines of) "...that was for Vega IX."

Now, obviously the immediate reaction is that they just screwed up the number between the two quotes - and I'll admit that that's likely what happened... but I think there's plenty of leeway to allow them both to be relevant. Vega VII is the only one that's specifically assosciated with his family -- Vega XI may be another colony wiped out by the Kilrathi, either at the same time or in some other attack. The fact that it's the same system aside, it might even be something akin to the Alamo in the Wing Commander universe -- remember Vega IX!

As always: Nice answer, LOAF. Thank you!

Are there any other sources to confirm VII as Iceman's homeworld? So we know it is the comm that is the "wrong" planet, not the talking head sequence.

By the way: Screwing up some roman numbers while typing is a VERY common mistake. It can happen to everybody, as you can see in your post. ;-)

EDIT:
don't know of a thread
We really didn't talk about that yet? Strange. Whatever. NOW we have a thread about it so the search engine will find it if someone tries. :)

Now, obviously the immediate reaction is that they just screwed up the number between the two quotes - and I'll admit that that's likely what happened... but I think there's plenty of leeway to allow them both to be relevant. Vega VII is the only one that's specifically assosciated with his family -- Vega XI may be another colony wiped out by the Kilrathi, either at the same time or in some other attack. The fact that it's the same system aside, it might even be something akin to the Alamo in the Wing Commander universe -- remember Vega IX!

Actually I think that's a very good explanation. It would make sense for an army, in it's drive to crush a fortification, to likewise destroy any colonies nearby to demoralize and isolate them, as well as secure flanks.

In Wing Commander, colonies sometimes have militia fighters or basing facilities for the same, as well as sometimes playing host to mercenaries (like, say, the player in Privateer). Think about the amount of damage a few Raptors could do to a logistics line in the WC2 era. Sure, they're not going to be taking down any destroyers or cruisers, but transports, corvettes, and fighters are all fair game, and a Raptor is still a pretty fair bird in WC2... and by that time, they had been retired to the militia and rear-line units. There's some older fighters (such as the Wildcat or even Scimitars) that were pulling the same duty during WC1, I'd imagine.

Back