USS San Francisco SSN-711

powell99

Aviation Junkie
Probably my favorite boat in the US Navy is the USS San Francisco. This is probably because I went on it when I was 5 but thats not the point. I looked it up on the net again and I learned it was the sub that ran into a mountain.
web_050127-N-4658L-030.jpg

Yes. Captain was running at a fairly high speed, and an uncharted mountain was in their way. They hit it pretty hard. I believe he was cleared of responsibility.

There's a lot more behind the official story; I don't think I can talk about it. One thing's for sure, the Corpsman onboard that sub is a hero and he should be commended for the lives he saved.

psych said:
There's a lot more behind the official story; I don't think I can talk about it. One thing's for sure, the Corpsman onboard that sub is a hero and he should be commended for the lives he saved.
If and when you can psych, you have my full attention.

HMS Nottingham a british Destroyer ran aground back in 2002 and had to be carried home on the back of a transport ship
LoadingHMSNottingham.jpg

" The damaged destroyer HMS Nottingham, that ran aground on Wolf Rock in the Tasman Sea on 7 July 2002, sailed homeward bound during a 12,279 miles journey on board of the Dockwise carrier Swan.

To achieve this transport, three recesses were made in the deck of the Swan to accommodate the stabilisers of the HMS Nottingham. This modification to the Swan, and the removal of two blades of each propeller from HMS Nottingham ensured that when loaded, the Nottingham's keel was just 30 cm above the cargo deck of the Swan."

psych said:

Corpsmen are awesome.

"A Corpsman will go through the gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine."

They're all heroes.

Porthos said:
Yes. Captain was running at a fairly high speed, and an uncharted mountain was in their way. They hit it pretty hard. I believe he was cleared of responsibility.

CDR Kevin Mooney was relieved of command and given a non-judicial punishment (instead of a court martial), probably an official letter of repremand from his CO. This generally is a "kiss of death" for the affected person's career.

(source)

AKAImBatman said:
No problem. Just ram it against the wall a bit and that'll fix it right up! :p

Don't forget to cover the wrecked bow with a shroud, so no one can see the top secret sonar suite.

Im working on it...Im out of orange paint. I have a boat tarp im using as the shroud. Wait the super secret Sonar suit was intact!? Was it made from solid lead!?

Back