USS Ohio makes Seatrials

You know why sailors use powdered soap in the showers aboard ships?

It takes longer to pick it up after they drop it.:) :D :eek:

accually an interestingt fact about the ohio the first two missile tubes have been tunred into Launch chanbers for seals which also include showers for the crew to use taking a shower where there was once a nuclear missile

I saw an article about the redevelopment of Ohio-class ships a while back in a Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine. Not really sure which. Talked about the addition of the launch chambers for the SEAL teams, and conversion of the other silos to hold "packs" of Tomahawk Missiles. It was an interesting articles with some 3D cutaway renderings showing the proposed plans.

I never saw any follow up information on that plan, though, and have read disquieting reports about cement being poured into the tubes instead to fulfill treaty obligations, which makes me question US Military spending.

However, I have no desire to hijack this thread or open up an attack on the US Military, as I support it's efforts 100%.

Jason_Ryock said:
. . . which makes me question US Military spending.

However, I have no desire to hijack this thread or open up an attack on the US Military, as I support it's efforts 100%.

I'm pretty sure ET3 is more qualified then you to say about it, considering he's actually in it.

I just hope the concept design is not another failure for Warcom. The Cyclone-class patrol boats turned out to be a miserable failure, when the money spent was better off for something else.

Popular {Variables} are the worlds biggest letdown magazines. They're always featuring some kind of amazing all black triangle ship that's shooting lasers everywhere with a caption like "CVX: CARRIER OF THE FUTURE"... and then ten years later, bam, CVX: Carrier of the Future is just a regular looking carrier with a different catapult.

I was fairly amused by that article, I remember reading it.

When I was taking Economics in HS we had to do a project where we kept and sold/traded stocks, and one of my companies was Northrop Grumman. I signed up for their news letter, which apparently includes an 80 page full color booklet detailing future military projects.

It was FAR more informative then the Popular (Whatever) article about tri-hulled class ships. Everything I take in from those magazines I read with a grain of salt. So it was nice to see that at least some developments have ended up in the Ohio boats.

Bandit LOAF said:
Popular {Variables} are the worlds biggest letdown magazines. They're always featuring some kind of amazing all black triangle ship that's shooting lasers everywhere with a caption like "CVX: CARRIER OF THE FUTURE"... and then ten years later, bam, CVX: Carrier of the Future is just a regular looking carrier with a different catapult.
Yeah they depicted the USS Virginia as a supersub that looked like a Russian Alfa Class. It looks like an Improved LA Class. I love that they had railgun armed battleships that were loaded down with combat drones, which may have had lasers.

Back