usin treman on stan_e1.tre

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
hey, so I downloaded and tried usin tre manager from Hcl's site and it works up til file 852 where it gives an error message "Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV" and about 15 lines of crud. what Im tryin to do is get some of the ships and use them in secret ops in place of the regular ships. anyone help? killer game btw

Never tried opening that file up (what'd be the point, since I packaged it myself :p), but if Treman can't open it, I think you're pretty much out of luck. Treman never gave me any errors, and I don't know if there's any other extractors around anymore.

I've already tried using standoff ships in WCP/SO anyway. It didn't work. Both games crashed when I tried to use them, for some reason.

overmortal said:
I've already tried using standoff ships in WCP/SO anyway. It didn't work. Both games crashed when I tried to use them, for some reason.

really? shit. maybe it didnt work because of the guns, since IIRC there arent any particle cannons in WCP/SO. I got a few ships out of stan_e1.tre and when I use them various error messages come up. usually theyre about not bein able to find a file (usually a comm file) or in the case of some capships it just does an illegal operation and quits. btw wtf is an illegal operation? always wondered that. I went to a friends house yesterday and downloaded SO standoff and treman and tried usin treman on stan_e1.tre again but it didnt work either (btw she says that the game looks awesome and the gameplay and plot so far is bitchin) but it did get a bit further than it did on my comp. would there be any way to just get the ship mat and mesh files from one of ya?

Good news - I've gotten most of the Standoff ships to work in WCP/SO, though it's a bit tricky (and there's a rather strange problem with the cockpits). Anyway, if you use Treman and set it to unpack only some of the files (option 3, I believe), and tell it to only take the files that start with mesh, ships, and mat (you have to run the operation 3 times, one for each), it will skip over that annoying little problem that pops up around 850. After that, copy/paste the folders into your WCP or SO directory, and use WCPEdit to swap them out. Then, do the same to the Data.tre file from the main WCP/SO directories, you'll need the tbtur.mesh file for the Broadsword/Crossbow/Sabre to run.

This is where the bit of annoyingness begins - with several of the ships, I found that it would start to launch, then CTD with a "Missing file" message - most of these were .mat files. So, if you don't mind having a little bit of oddity to the look of your ships (the Broadsword I pulled out of Standoff ended up with red guns on it's turrets), just copy a .mat file and rename it to whatever number came up as being the missing .mat file in the message.

Next, if you try to run with the Standoff ships in place of the defaults, it will say that you're missing cockpit/shipname.iff. You'll need to go into the cockpits folder (which should already be present if you're using WCPEdit), and copy and paste piranha.iff into the same folder - rename the copy to whatever the ship requires (Example: For the Broadsword, the copied file was renamed to bsword.iff)

Once this was done, I was able to get the majority of the ships to run - all the Confed capships (minus the Clydesdale), most of the Confed fighters/bombers, and a few of the Kilrathi ships. Most of the Kilrathi, however, would crash with a "mesh/ship.iff not found message", as in the case of the Dorkathi and Drakhri - in this case, we can't use those ships till Episode 2, at least.

Now, there's a couple of little bugs: The ships that use Particle Cannons in Standoff end up having Charging Mass Drivers put in place by WCP/SO...not for lack of particle cannons in the game, but I'm guessing because Eder and Co. used the CMD slot for their new particle cannon effect. Also, many of the ships ended up with Tachyon cannons - those two problems aren't huge, just swap the guns to the proper ones in WCPEdit.

The main problem I came across has to do with the cockpit - no gauges/frames/anything appear, and rather than being centered, the text displayed for comm messages is off to the left. The guns still shoot straight and look as they should, so if you've got good aim based on the center of your screen rather than a gunsight, you'll be fine.

Sorry I seem to have missed this thread for a few days.

Iceman16 said:
would there be any way to just get the ship mat and mesh files from one of ya?
No. :p As SabreAce said, it seems you can already get them now, and I don't see a point in making these ships available separately from the rest of the game.

For what it's worth, once all the episodes are out, I plan to release a "full" version of Standoff, with a different TRE arrangement so that anyone who is interested in the pre-WC3 era can make mission pack add-ons for our little WC2-rigged version of the Vision engine with a bit more ease.

Not that I think anyone will make use of that.

Hell, I still want to create a set of WC1 missions. If only I could program missions. And organize voiceovers. And write a whole damned game's worth of missions and fiction.

Hey, what's the next project after the last standoff episode, anyway? Wasn't it UE2?

Got a bit of an update on getting the Standoff ships to work - use Treman to extract the cockpit files from Data.tre from WCP/SO, and paste them all into the cockpits folder. Then, as described above, copy and paste, then rename, a cockpit - I'd suggest using panther.iff now. You'll get all your guages, just they'll be positioned in the top left instead of spread around the cockpit. Not great, but at least now you've got a radar screen.

overmortal said:
Hey, what's the next project after the last standoff episode, anyway? Wasn't it UE2?
I'm pretty sure it was UE2... at least until a couple days ago when Q got into the professional game making business, potentially screwing UE2 over for good in the process. :p

(Me, I plan to help out people like KillerWave and Tango with small graphics stuff they might need for their projects, then hide under a rock until the next great and editable space sim engine comes out.)

Hey, maybe you could finally help me make that flyable version of my ship for WCP/SO. Bob McDob did a model of it, but it had too many polys for WCP.

Eder said:
I'm pretty sure it was UE2... at least until a couple days ago when Q got into the professional game making business, potentially screwing UE2 over for good in the process. :p

(Me, I plan to help out people like KillerWave and Tango with small graphics stuff they might need for their projects, then hide under a rock until the next great and editable space sim engine comes out.)

I'm willing to take a very active role in getting UE2 done. There were some ideas being tossed around before we got Standoff going full swing, and there were some... musical oppertunities that I'd love to try out. Besides, it could be a really great game.

The big problem is the engine. We really need to get something better because, well, the Vision engine has sorta died about 20 times now and as much as we give it CPR, use defribulators, sell our souls to Satan, and experiment with divine intervention, it can't hold out much longer.

I hope you haven't given up on a UE2, Eder - we need you!

Maybe UE2 should be in conjunction with WC Saga. A unified project to bring the UE and Standoff(esque) experience to a new level.

Needaham45 said:
The big problem is the engine. We really need to get something better because, well, the Vision engine has sorta died about 20 times now and as much as we give it CPR, use defribulators, sell our souls to Satan, and experiment with divine intervention, it can't hold out much longer.
Amen to that. :p
Personally, I wouldn't do UE2 in this engine, unless it gets downgraded (back) to a mission pack like it originally was meant to be. We're getting enough compatibility problems with Standoff now... two or three years from now, nobody will be able to run the damn engine anymore.

Needaham45 said:
I hope you haven't given up on a UE2, Eder - we need you!
FWIW, my role in UE2 was to model and texture the human fighters. I'm pretty sure even just a couple more Vision-engine capships is enough to drive me insane.

And I have no intention whatsoever of ever touching the FS2 engine... I can't help but not seeing any Wing Commanderishness beneath all the cool graphics gimmicks in it. I hope the Saga crew really impresses me beyond my expectations on this subject.

Hopefully they will. I admit that when I played the april fools demo a while back, it didn't really fly like WC. It flied more like Privateer 2. I hope they've adjusted that.

Eder said:
Personally, I wouldn't do UE2 in this engine, unless it gets downgraded (back) to a mission pack like it originally was meant to be. We're getting enough compatibility problems with Standoff now... two or three years from now, nobody will be able to run the damn engine anymore.
Yeah, the notion of doing UE2 in the Vision engine is a scary one. Even without my new full-time-employed status, I don't think I would have it in me to take on the Vision engine again. That thing's dangerous, damn it. It... it does things to your head.

The vision engine isn't so great for the music too. There's so much more we could do with the inflight music in terms of transitions between songs if we had something that served our musical needs too. I don't care what anyone says, I'm doing a UE2 somehow... but it sure as hell won't be with the vision engine.

a little late to post, but oh well

Yeah, I agree with you there. That is why I am planning on using that Flight Commander engine. Of course, it may be a bust. Don't know yet.

Back