Updated Status... 08/07/09

Howard Day

Random art guy.
So. It's been a really long time since we last had an update for you guys. There's some good news, some bad news, and some news.

Good News: Joel has decided to pick this project back up. Good news that - he's basically been stalled for over a year on other projects and life in general. The immediate plan is to create a bare-bones, highly tweakable game base from which we can perfect the actual game's combat, trading and overall feel. This is excellent, and something I'm really looking forwards to.

Bad news: Joel and I are smack dab in the middle of a pretty major crunch time at work. It's mandatory 11 hour days, including Saturdays...so the likelihood of the progress on the bare-bones game base being quick is pretty low. It sucks, but there's not much to be done at this point. The crunch ends about a month from now, so we'll hopefully have more news around that point.

Just News: I've recently been pondering taking this project in a different direction than that of a pure Privateer prequel...possibly towards something simpler, and more classically Wing Commander. Specifically, a multiplayer story-based space combat game. I was inspired by the multi-stage gametypes found in Team Fortress 2. I was pretty impressed at how well they worked, with each stage encapsulating a specific goal for each side, and the progression of the game dependent on the outcome of the previous round. That could really easily apply to a Wing Commander game - with each round being a specific mission.
I could go on in further detail about exactly how it'd translate, but I'd rather not waste more of your time.
My question to you, the reader, is this: would that be a good direction to go in? Is it something that would interest the community?

On another note, is there any artwork you guys would like to see in the mean time? I do have some free time, and i could definitely spend some of it on some more art.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

On another note, is there any artwork you guys would like to see in the mean time? I do have some free time, and i could definitely spend some of it on some more art.

My artwork dream is to see one of the bombers (Broadsword, Longbow, whatever) done up like a B-17 -- olive drab paint scheme, emphasis on the turrets, big colorful group identification on the tail, nose art, crew, kills and number of bombing runs stenciled by the door, etc.

Good to hear from you Howard.

I'd love to see a carrier (you choose the class) that looks like it's been through a hell of a battle. Scorch marks, torpedo holes, etc.

The multiplayer thing sounds interesting, but I hope that we'll still see a good single-player mode with trading and stuff--I'd hate to see all that stuff put by the wayside.

Good to hear that you're still dedicated to this stuff--any progress is good even if it's slow because of other committments.

not to sound like a broken record.. but I could still use some of your 3d models that you were gonna give me a while back.

as for in the game, I'm with LOAF on this one. do up a broadsword crossed with a b-17 and it'll be totally awesome

specifically the one you modeled after a drawing of mine. but I really could use the bengal and dralthi and hornet you made too :D

(and a scim if you have one)

you can email me them at alexvont @ gmail dot com

So, LOAF...Like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ooShooShoo.jpg
?
If so, that leads me to another question...so you have a picture of you and the rest of the team in your flight suits from something like the same general angle?

Yeah, exactly like that!

If I can't find a picture I'm sure we can take one -- as long as you promise it isn't for modeling the half-naked girl on the nose after.

I'd also love to see a Wing Commander version of this image: http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/man/moremanpics/b-52_11.jpg

Heheh. I like how you think, LOAF. As for the girl on the nose...I was just going to grab some cheesy cheesecake and model it after that. :D

Ninja! I need your e-mail address.
I'll send you the files after I get back from GI Joe. You will need at least Max 2009 to open and render them - just a heads up. :D

Great, I hope you enjoy them. In other news, I've started working on the A-17 Broadsword model...There weren't any decent Boradsword models out there and available, so I've needed to start from scratch - I've snagged the model that looks the most correct, and I'm using that for proportions and layout reference. I will most likely release this when I'm done.

Just News: I've recently been pondering taking this project in a different direction than that of a pure Privateer prequel...possibly towards something simpler, and more classically Wing Commander. Specifically, a multiplayer story-based space combat game. I was inspired by the multi-stage gametypes found in Team Fortress 2. I was pretty impressed at how well they worked, with each stage encapsulating a specific goal for each side, and the progression of the game dependent on the outcome of the previous round. That could really easily apply to a Wing Commander game - with each round being a specific mission.
I could go on in further detail about exactly how it'd translate, but I'd rather not waste more of your time.
My question to you, the reader, is this: would that be a good direction to go in? Is it something that would interest the community?

From my point of view it's not a good idea. From all WC games I loved Privateer the most. I understand, that this kind of game could be much easier to do, than the original concept, but there are games similar to what you described but there is nothing even close to what you've planned Pioneer to be.

So imo even if it would take years and countless builds to get to final shape (WC1 era Privateer like sandbox game with possibility to leave ship on stations, to move inside your ship, real space physics, quest, reputation, trading system, many different -- sometimes even unexpected and secret -- ways to interact with game environment and so on) i believe you should stick to it.

On the other hand it's your project so do with it whatever you want. :rolleyes:

So. It's been a really long time since we last had an update for you guys. There's some good news, some bad news, and some news.

Good News: Joel has decided to pick this project back up. Good news that - he's basically been stalled for over a year on other projects and life in general. The immediate plan is to create a bare-bones, highly tweakable game base from which we can perfect the actual game's combat, trading and overall feel. This is excellent, and something I'm really looking forwards to.

Bad news: Joel and I are smack dab in the middle of a pretty major crunch time at work. It's mandatory 11 hour days, including Saturdays...so the likelihood of the progress on the bare-bones game base being quick is pretty low. It sucks, but there's not much to be done at this point. The crunch ends about a month from now, so we'll hopefully have more news around that point.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

I understand how people want to play privateer, but for me Wing Commander has always been space fights in the spirit of WW2 carrier actions. A sort of Midway in Space if you will.

Besides, once you have done say a simple 10 missions' campaign, it would be easy to see what works in the game and what doesn't, allowing for a much more fluid experience when and if you decide to embark into Privateer.

It's up to you really. I just love Wing Commander and the thought of dogfighting in space with your ships is droolworthy, I think.

There were flaws in Privateer's universe that Pioneer could easily fix- like trading for example. A small set of economic models implemented in the game could make Pioneer much more advanced than Privateer. For example, using a mere supply/demand equilibrium on every planet could make the prices go up and down in a more reasonable way, and the missions to deliver the cargo before other player would really make sense (otherwise, the commodities just wouldn't go).

It would be nice to have that opportunity used. I liked Privateer for that and missed the more logical merchant part that would match it with Elite.

Best regards

Kret

One thing I'd love to see is proper turrets on bombers. AI controlled turrets. I have enough time pointing the front of the ship in the right direction..let alone trying to deal with everything else.
*glares at Freelancer*

If you are trying to copy privateer, then copy it, it you are trying to improve it, improve it, if possible. What I found total in grossing was that you could be a merchant, merc, bounty hunter, or all three with little effort. You had 3 ships with 3 personalities and it was almost limitless when it came to play. I actually had it loaded and in playable condition for 3 years after I won the game, 3 YEARS!!! I rebuilt the computer 4 times in that period, but still had the game running as well! That's dedication to a game! IF you can come up with a pre-quell to that, I will pay you what you want up to 100 USD per copy.

On turrets, I seem to recall the bomber turrets in Prophecy having halfway-decent accuracy--when I flew a Devastator and didn't use the forward guns, I still got over 20% of all shots connecting (all shots having been fired by the turrets), as compared to my typical manual accuracy of 60-70%. Anyway, this tells me that it is possible to program the turrets for a happy medium in between useless and more-deadly-than-your-manual-fire.

Back