Upcoming Sim: Black Prophecy

IT's certainly very pretty.

The designs are a bit too "busy" for my taste, though. I think they got so excited with the awesome engine they made, that they shoved the biggest possible number of polygons on those ships :)

Sometimes technical limitations lead to better art direction :D

But it's not BAD. I really wanna see that game in motion.

The ships look a lot like X3 Reunion ships, but the thrusters look a lot better in Black Prophecy than they did in X3. Thruster effects in X3 looked cube-like.

As far as i know they are using the newest version of the gamebryo engine (the one used by oblivion and the new fallout).
As for the devs: They did Neocron, a sci-fi mmorpg. The game was kinda cool, in fact it was addicting. But it was patched to death and there are not much players on the servers anymore (which is kinda sad).
However i'm eagerly awaiting this one, maybe reakktor has learned from the mistakes they did in the past :)

The graphic looks quite impressive...but why again an MMO? I heard there will be a singleplayer part...I hope that it will be a good one.

The designs are a bit too "busy" for my taste, though. I think they got so excited with the awesome engine they made, that they shoved the biggest possible number of polygons on those ships :)

Yeah, that bothers me too. The engine certainly looks nice, but I don't like this space-baroque gig they have going.

Though I guess they're just going with the prevailing style - virtually every modern space-themed science fiction work, game or not, is in a dark, brooding gothic style dripping with an incredible weariness. Outerspace has gone from bright, colorful fantasy and quiet, restrained wonder to Hubble photography as paint bloches, while spaceships have mutated either into shrink-wrapped deep-sea creatures or gray, uninspiring boxes, and everything is treated with an air of utterly unconvincing sincerity.

If people are wondering why space isn't selling, they should look at their setting a few more times.

Bob Mc Dob makes some interesting points, have you read chasm city or revelation space by Alistair Reynolds?? What did you think?

Yeah, that bothers me too. The engine certainly looks nice, but I don't like this space-baroque gig they have going.

Though I guess they're just going with the prevailing style - virtually every modern space-themed science fiction work, game or not, is in a dark, brooding gothic style dripping with an incredible weariness. Outerspace has gone from bright, colorful fantasy and quiet, restrained wonder to Hubble photography as paint bloches, while spaceships have mutated either into shrink-wrapped deep-sea creatures or gray, uninspiring boxes, and everything is treated with an air of utterly unconvincing sincerity.

If people are wondering why space isn't selling, they should look at their setting a few more times.

Valve really hit the nail in the head with Portal. The test chambers in the game look like the insides of the Discovery, white, clean, shiny (but not TOO much). Even the lovable turrets look like the pods. And they have a really interesting explanation for that art direction in the developer commentary.

All in all, Portal was the single greatest SP gaming experience I had in years. And not due to a shortage of great games, it is really 3hrs of pure gaming goodness.

Back