Unreal II

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Hey ho guys and gals

Unreal II has gone gold over here in the UK and once again the the level of 'realism' in game rendering has shot up a few notches, I have only just obtained a copy of afore mentioned game so haven't got very far with it yet
(I am currently hexing my machine to try and get morrowind to run smoothly, which is proving to be Mission:Impossible)
The Eye-candy looks great, but I haven't got really into the story yet.
I also saw review for Freelancer, its looking SCHWEET!! wingcommander and pricateer got a few mentions :)
I am waiting with baited breath.
(looks like system recs will be
733 mhz
256 mb RAM
32 mb Graphics Card)

I've heard that Unreal II looks really, really good, but has one small problem. The gameplay, from everything I've heard, is strictly "average" (to quote Penny Arcade). There's nothing particularly wrong about it, but there's nothing particularly great, either.
I should also note that, from the reviews I've read, the last couple of levels are supposed to buck this trend, somewhat, although I don't know the details.

I think I'm going to save my cash for C&C Generals and MOO 3 instead.

gameplay is okay, its seems its your average FPS with amazing graphics, the graphics are better than unreal tournament 2003. one of the problems is that your character doesn't seem to move fast enough (mind you, thats a pretty heavy looking suit of combat armour he is wearing, so whether it is intentional or not?)

Doom 3 looks promising....

I'm iffy on this. I was such a massive fan of UT that I was let down to see the removal of the sniper rifle for a lightning gun. Though the engine is gorgeous and I only played the demo for UT03, it didn't do much of anything for me.

I loved Unreal, UT, and UT2003, but for once I agree with you LeHa, the replacement of the Sniper Rifle for a lightning gun was stupid. I think they wanted to make it all more futuristic and didn't want a weapon from the 20th century. But the engine kicks butt.

UT03 is a game unto it's own right. I can respect it and it has a fantasic engine. But it lacks a lot of the badass attitude that UT had.

Back