Unkown Enemy

RyanCarroll

Spaceman
I have a new computer and have attempted to install Uknown Eneny on my Windows 7 Machine (Previous XP machine worked fine). It states "Unable to create this file C:\Program FIles\Origin Systems\Secrete Ops\wcue_loader.dll" I have ran this as administratorm, re-downloaded the the program but have had no luck. By the way nice to know there are other Wing Commander Fans out there and yes I back Star Citizen.

Hi ! It's always a pleasure to hear about fans trying to get old WC games (and fan games) to work.

The solution to your problem is simple: Windows UAC is preventing you from writing in "c:\Program Files", "C:\Windows" and at the root of the system drive (C:\). Uninstall Secret Ops, then re-install it in some other folder like, for example, C:\Games\Secret Ops. THEN install Unknown Enemy in the very same folder. You may have to edit the properties of WCUE.EXE to set the compatibility option to Win95.

Please report back and tell us if you like the game ! (Have you tried Standoff ?)

I have a new computer and have attempted to install Uknown Eneny on my Windows 7 Machine (Previous XP machine worked fine). It states "Unable to create this file C:\Program FIles\Origin Systems\Secrete Ops\wcue_loader.dll" I have ran this as administratorm, re-downloaded the the program but have had no luck. By the way nice to know there are other Wing Commander Fans out there and yes I back Star Citizen.

I got it installed but now am recieving the error "Can't start because MSVBVM50.DLL is missing from your computer."

That sounds it might be related to the god awful visual basic launcher I wrote (give me a break, I was 16). If you run the exe directly rather than the launcher can you get into the game?

I would suggest a new installer, with graphical enhancements just like in secret ops ;)

I believe one is in progress, but having just done a 12 hour day and not yet finished my daily vocab drills for the language of the country in which I now reside (and was made fun of for my current lack of ability)....
...sorry but it's not going to be me.

That said Pete has already tested the OpenGL enhancement with Secret Ops, so I don't need to make any alterations there - maybe he'd be so inclined to update the launcher whilst he's at it if you asked nicely. New Doctor Who in a couple of weeks, he and his family are likely to be in a good mood :)

Alright, you can download the DLL there: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180071/en-us

Alternatively, you can install our later fan game Standoff, which should include all those DLLs that are not bundled with every software anymore. http://standoff.solsector.net/

And yes, Triple-B. Quarto and I should definitely get back to it :p
I

For some reason it is not allowing me to create any files in the Secret Ops Directory. I have changed the attributes, ran as administrator and so on. Standoff is installed and works fine. Also the Secret Ops I have installed is the Enhanced. I just had back surgery so I got to play all the old titles. Just finished Privateer, Wing Commander 2,3......sure wish GOG would come out with Righteious fire

I

For some reason it is not allowing me to create any files in the Secret Ops Directory. I have changed the attributes, ran as administrator and so on. Standoff is installed and works fine. Also the Secret Ops I have installed is the Enhanced. I just had back surgery so I got to play all the old titles. Just finished Privateer, Wing Commander 2,3......sure wish GOG would come out with Righteious fire

Did you uninstall and reinstall to a directory outside of programfiles as pete suggested?

Yes but no good. I tried a generic "New Folder," and everything copied correctly. For some reason it wont install to that specific folder

When I said uninstall then reinstall, I meant it; Unknown Enemy MUST be installed into the very same folder Secret Ops was originally installed. You cannot copy or move the files manually (unless you edit the related registry keys). Did you uninstall everything, then reinstalled everything into a folder outside of Program Files (i.e. C:\Games\Secret ops), then reinstalled Unknown Enemy into that very same new folder ?

Please try it and report every step you've taken, I am sure we can have you running very quickly if we can figure out exactly what's going on :)

I am having the same issue. Windows 7 64 bit.

I have installed Secret Ops in a new folder. C:\Wing Commander\Secret Ops v2

I thought it was an issue with other mods installed in the original secret ops folder. However each time I attempt to install it a different file is unable to be created. Currently it is wcue_loader.dll. Hitting ignore it will move on to I would imagine the next file in the install process, which for me is CG32.dll, then DivX.dll, gl_00003.dll, after hitting ignore for each of those the installation continues unabated. After that I dropped the eu 1.02 patch into the folder. Trying to boot up the game I am greeted with. ' The program can't start because MSVBVM50.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.....

*edit*
I would like to add that Standoff installed fine, no issues what so ever. I completely uninstalled/removed the second installation of Secret Ops as well. I just can't get UE to work. Is it possible to have both mobs in the same installation of SO? Would this happen to be a Window 7 and or 64 bit issue? I wouldn't think so since Standoff works fine.

I know you asked the other person to have steps on the problem but its pretty much I double click the installation download and it is unable to create the files I listed above. Not much else to it. This is with a clean install of SO, as well as a shared install of SO. This install path of SO is the same as I put above, without the "v2".

Any help would be appreciated.
Tirpitz

exact same problem here as the first post here. Same error message on install. really wish i could get this working...

Here, I'll quote my own reply to the other thread:
Hi there. Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been pretty busy lately. I've took a few minutes to test the setup on a brand new Windows install at home, and could reproduce your problem.

Could you try out running the WCUE install, clicking "Ignore" at every warning ? I've tested it on the PC at home and oddly the files DID get copied over to the destination folder, despite the error message.

Alternatively you could run the WCUE install and choose a temporary destination folder and then manually copy the files over the Secret Ops folder (make sure you only overwrite older files, especially if Standoff is already installed).

Remember to set the "Win95" compatibility setting on WCUE.EXE before you launch the game.

Please report back and tell me if you got it working !

GOt it working PETE!!!! Thanks so much! btw for all you others trying to get it do exactly what he said to do. Install it and skip through the files it can't do. Then get that Msvbvm50.exe file and install it. Then run UE in win 95 comp mode. And boom! thanks again so much for your patience.

It is you who has been patient, but I'm happy you got it working :)

BTW you need to download the Microsoft DLL only if the launcher complains about it being missing.

Back