Unknown Symbol

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
We all know the Border Worlds symbol, but what is the other symbol that appears on Border World craft? You see it in the Intrepid during a couple flight deck cutscenes and on the side of the Vindicator. Can someone tell me what that symbol represents?

Attachments

• wildcatlogo5.jpg
    wildcatlogo5.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 59
Couldn't it be a seasonal UBW symbol for say Christmas or Festivas. Or maybe something an eliete unit would bolster...more red= more blood...more kills/skills.
UBW was short on money and trained personal so they may have had one of the ganitors on the ship paint the markings. And the lack of paint and a left eye. Albert was doing his best during a difficult time. Please stop picking on him!

er...Whats a roundel?

Why is it whenever I'm having fun it's Wrong?

er...Whats a roundel?

A roundel is the national insignia that you find on airplanes (like how an Air Force fighter has a blue circle with a white star in it rather than an American flag.)

The icon in question does seem to be the roundel for the Union of Border Worlds - it appears on all three of the fighters and at least two of the capital ships (the Intrepid and the Tallahassees.)

The icon in question does seem to be the roundel for the Union of Border Worlds - it appears on all three of the fighters and at least two of the capital ships (the Intrepid and the Tallahassees.)

I think what they're getting at is that the spikey iron cross thingy is green in this rendition, while the ship textures have it as orange.

I think what they're getting at is that the spikey iron cross thingy is green in this rendition, while the ship textures have it as orange.

I don't think that's it -- they're wondering what it is in general (compared to the UBW logo see on the patches.)

Could the Christmas logo be say...a variation that malitia units use? With the sudden outbreak of undecleared war UBW would have called up any avalible ships/pilots and not bothered with such a small detail since well in a time of war who has time to worry such things.

Or maybe the UBW symbol was changed midstream and the programers didn't want to bother/forgot to change it. Like the 7 CD thing.

Could the Christmas logo be say...a variation that malitia units use? With the sudden outbreak of undecleared war UBW would have called up any avalible ships/pilots and not bothered with such a small detail since well in a time of war who has time to worry such things.

All the units we see in Wing Commander IV are former militia units -- the Union of Border Worlds wasn't technically formed until shortly after the game started.

Or maybe the UBW symbol was changed midstream and the programers didn't want to bother/forgot to change it. Like the 7 CD thing.

There was never going to be seven CDs - the '7 CD thing' was a joke story from the alt.games.wing-commander newsgroup. The 'Christmas' logo appears in the film segments, though, so it's doubtful that it has anything to do with programmers...

I took it to be the logo for the Border Worlds Military. Bit like confed having this on their flag, and a five pointed star with a sword is seen in Tolwyn's office, and various other military places (cover of Victory Streak springs to mind)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the explanation that the four points on the BWs ships were old militia symbols that the BW simply had no time to get rid of.

Bit like confed having this on their flag, and a five pointed star with a sword is seen in Tolwyn's office, and various other military places (cover of Victory Streak springs to mind)

The sword-and-star logo isn't a national emblem -- it's the 'combined forces' logo (a part of the backstory at the time which doesn't extend much beyond the Armada manual and the Wing Commander III setup was that the Confederation had allies in fighting the Kilrathi...)

I think the explanation that the four points on the BWs ships were old militia symbols that the BW simply had no time to get rid of.

Frostytheplebe, rest of the thread, rest of the thread, frostytheplebe.

Back