Unknown Enemy problem

Darth Servo

Spaceman
I downloaded the Unknown Enemy game, tried playing and got the following error message:

GL_d3d_5::createZBuffer attach failed 87

What does that mean and how can I fix it? I'd really like to play this thing. The v1.02 patch didn't correct the problem.

This issue has come up before. Below is about as close to a solution as has been developed.

You probably have an ATI radeon video card, right ? There is a bizzare issue with Radeon drivers disabling 32-bits Zbuffer. Try installing the lastest Catalyst drivers and in the Catalyst control panel look for the option to enable 32-bits Zbuffer.

Unfortunately, it would seem only the older Radeon models show the option, so if you can't find it you'll have to configure Unknown Enemy to run in 16-bits Z-buffer.

You won't loose much visual by setting it to 16-bits; 32-bits Z-buffer is a hack HCl made to reducle the polygon "clipping" you may notice on certain ships.

The settings can be accessed from the UE launcher. I believe it is a button labeled Configure Video Settings. There you will find the setting you are looking for.

Back