Unexpected WC4 woes

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I'm not entirely sure what the problem with WC4 has been lately. I know it's the sound though, because there has been no problem with the movies or the gameplay. But it might be a possibility.

When I first installed the game, the install program ran just fine until I saved the settings and exited. I got a bunch of blue screens of death(tm), and from then on, no sound would play during the install tests, or in the movies when the game ran. As a result, the movies wouldn't run at all. Pressing escape would bring me to the interactive choices, though. When this was the case, I could get into game flight and play but no sound would be playing at all in the game.

I thought I could help rectify this by restarting. The opening movies played fine with sound. For the sake of quickness, I skipped the opening movies to see if it would work in game flight. Instead, I got more blue screens of death(tm).

This computer runs Win ME with an Intel video chipset. I'm not too sure of the sound chipset in it, but I know it's Soundblaster compatible. I was able to get WC4 to work on this computer about a year ago, but now it's acting up. I'm not sure if any driver updates could be the problem though. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Well, not an help, really, just a suggestion:
Reinstall WinMe.

It's just that windows doesn't work as well after awhile...

Just my 2 cents...

Although... I have noticed that since both the comps in our house have been reformatted, niether has the "BLASTER" environment table set in the autoexec.bat file...

Tested on both comps in the house, btw. The second one was Win98SE with an S3 Virge chipset. The game worked fine in all aspects (including the install), except for game flight. When actual gameplay started, there was no sound of which to speak.

could it be the autoexec files? Since this is the DOS version of WC4 and all.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Well, not an help, really, just a suggestion:
Reinstall WinMe.

It's just that windows doesn't work as well after awhile...

Just my 2 cents...

"Reinstall Win ME"? are you INSANE?...Your own post goes on to point out the stupidity of that suggestion
("It's just that windows doesn't work as well after awhile...")

...although, I would dispute the "after awhile" comment; more like "instantly"

::shmacks "Unregistered upside the head::

Just fixed it, per se... downloaded and used the Win95 patch. It seems to work fine now, movies and all.

If any other probs arise, I'll be sure to gripe about them all and let you guys know. :)

Back