Ultimate Strategy Guide

Madman

Vice Admiral
So inspired by the community replay (and only a year late!) and shades' script projects, I'm replaying wc1 but in the segacd version (oh yeah). I've coupled this with reading my two new acquisitions, the secrets of the WCU and the ultimate strategy guide. So, I play the Gimle 1 (a couple of times due to lag on the segacd!) with secrets open by me, it gives me nothing too helpful except the advice (true) that jalthis arent fearsome as long as you're not in their line of fire! When done, i then sit and read the ultimate strategy guide's description of the mission (cos its like a storybook!)

So i fought 2 wings of 2 salthi at the claw, then 3 jalthi at the exeter, this is what secrets says i should have, and so does the CIC's guide (https://www.wcnews.com/guides/wc1gimle.shtml) but the ultimate strategy guide says i should have faced 3 salthi and 2 jalthi at the exeter itself - and goes on to say that if there had been a third jalthi the exeter would have been toast! - frankly im glad it was 1 jalthi and not an additional 3 salthi, the lag makes them insanely hard to kill.

So whats going on? is the ultimate strategy guide just wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know that the WC1-2 strategy guide did have some mistakes in it but I don't know about the Ultimate Strategy Guide.

There might be some differences between the PC and Sega as well. What we have here in the WCNews guides should be PC accurate. If you find differences between the PC and Sega it would be interesting to know.

Well to be honest, its looking like the guide is wrong, given that the CIC agrees with the segacd version. Still its a bit wierd, chris roberts of all people should know the mission plan! How's your script project coming anyway?

Well to be honest, its looking like the guide is wrong, given that the CIC agrees with the segacd version. Still its a bit wierd, chris roberts of all people should know the mission plan! How's your script project coming anyway?

I don't think Chris Roberts wrote the strategy guide.

Sorry, you're quite right, just a foreword :) still, it is the official guide so wierd that it contains a flaw like that, unless it (like some of the manual stuff) was done before the game was finalised (see the wc4 novel differences thread)

I do know that the WC1-2 strategy guide did have some mistakes in it but I don't know about the Ultimate Strategy Guide.

The Ultimate Strategy Guide is the subtitle for the WC1&2 official guide.

Sorry, you're quite right, just a foreword :) still, it is the official guide so wierd that it contains a flaw like that, unless it (like some of the manual stuff) was done before the game was finalised (see the wc4 novel differences thread)

You'll find things like this in every official guide (for every game, not just Wing Commander). Even in cases where the guide was made later, it's just really difficult to have everything add up just perfectly. And you could say that in the case of the WC1&2 guide, it's the story presentation as much as the technical numbers that were the focus.

Back